DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

So I was watching Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice, but I had to stop halfway through and go and do some weeding in the garden, for mental stimulation. This movie is like a metric tonne of stupid in a half ton bag. I don't want to say it's nonsensical, because nonsense is merely the absence of sense. This movie is more the opposite of sense. It is antisensical. Why does DC insist on repeatedly assigning directors to their movies who have no respect for the source material, or for what the characters are actually supposed to be about? Snyder, Nolan, Schumacher, Burton, they all think know better than everyone, and they're just making up derivative shit. Batman makes a solemn vow to never use a gun or take a life (when he could spare it), but hey, let's not show him wrestling with the implications and limitations of that, let's just make him an amoral mass murderer who machine guns goons by the thousand.

I don't know how many comics Snyder watched before he wrote the script, but I've got the over/under at zero. Probably just read a plot synopsis of Dark Knight Returns on Wikipedia, shortly after it had been rewritten by a priapic twelve year old. Based his characterisation of Batman not on Michael Keaton's performance in the 89 movie, but more on his recollections of having watched it, once, in 1989, while trying to get his girlfriend to give him a handjob in the back row.

Right at the start, Metropolis is being torn apart, so Bruce phones up his friend in Wayne Tower and tells him to evacuate the building. So the guy tells everyone in the room he happens to be in to leave, then stays himself to watch the buildings collapse. There's a bloody Fire Alarm on the wall in front of him. Pulling one of those is actually quite an efficient way of evacuating a large building. Far more efficient than going room to room and telling people. So stupid. And before that they reshoot Thomas and Martha Wayne getting shot AGAIN, and young Bruce falling down the abandoned mine shaft AGAIN, as if anyone seeing this movie wouldn't know the back story by now.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Birds of Prey going back for reshoots...with entirely new action sequences, choreographed and overseen by John Wick series director Chad Stahelski. 

Oh hell yeah.

A step in the right direction and shows that at least someone give a shit about how well it does in theaters, but never count out DC's ability to fuck things up at the last minute.

After all, these are the folks that decided not to greenlight Gareth Edwards's Deathstroke project.

Come to Marvel Studios, Gareth.  We would love to have you direct the Mahershala Ali / Blade joint.

Edited by J.T.

I...don't think this looks that good from the trailers, but trailers are a bad way to judge a movie. I think what bugs me the most is titling the movie "Joker" and apparently not having it be about THE Joker. It just strikes me as Todd Phillips and whoever wrote this being very inspired by the shitty movie Vulgar and thinking they could do a better take.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Some day, the post bumping this thread is going to be a Wonder Woman trailer.

Some day...

Heh, that's why I always come back. I'll see that the Natural has bumped it and I'll think, "Hmmm...it's either a 1984 trailer or a picture from a movie." ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Some day, the post bumping this thread is going to be a Wonder Woman trailer.

Some day...

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Heh, that's why I always come back. I'll see that the Natural has bumped it and I'll think, "Hmmm...it's either a 1984 trailer or a picture from a movie." ?

Sorry lads. When Wonder Woman 1984 news hits, I'll update the thread title so you know :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He's overseen some stunts and action on a million things. I'll save my excitement for when they finally give him the keys to direct one of these things in a few years. 

(Getting to this late) Sony announced him as the director of Bloodshot at one point, then announced someone else a month or two later when John Wick 3 got picked up. 

Somehow I doubt that. This takes place in the 70s...so we're going to get a full blown Joker movie, a movie that likely won't get made because they've said this is a standalone film, where the Joker will be the Joker in the, uh, 80s? And when this movie you say will happen happens, it will probably come out around the same time as the new Batman movie?

Yeah, that isn't going to work.