DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Becky's Clever Disguises - 9/11/2018

Dolfan in NYC

50 minutes ago, Victator said:

The whole thing makes NXT look like shit. Along with the Ascension being jobbers. Skill or whatever aside, if you allow someone to hold your title/titles for a year and dominate your division, you should always protect them to a degree. 

Vince doesn't know what he's going to do week to week he even changes his mind on things leading up to show time. Sure if it was fully up to HHH alot of those guys would be more protected, in sure he has less influence on SD right?  How guys are booked on NXT have no bearing on the way they are booked on the main roster which is unfortunately, Im surprised at how well Almas has been booked so far. He was favorite act on NXT, I was almost afraid of his getting called up.

The cream always rises to the top. Joe is proof of that. To me, the language barrier is a major disconnect in how Vince perceives the foreign contingent that are brought up. Almas is fortunate that he has Zelina to drive the act and Nakamura is fortunate that he's bizarre and cartoonish enough to get a push, and his English is quite good. If I hadn't been exposed to Asuka prior to her being called up, I'd have trouble to decipher what the big deal was either. But y'know, as a promoter you should be doing your due diligence. But Vince is Vince. The same dude who prematurely split one of the best acts in NXT in American Alpha and gave the weaker member a mega push on his biggest show. 

38 minutes ago, Rick said:

If I hadn't been exposed to Asuka prior to her being called up, I'd have trouble to decipher what the big deal was either. But y'know, as a promoter you should be doing your due diligence. 

Asuka doesn't need to talk much, that whole so and so can talk is a lame excuse that territory has used for years, her facial expressions and body language are better than anyone else. Cutting a long promo shouldn't even be a requirement based on your Character. Same with Nakamura he has so much personality without saying much at all. There are alot of American born talent that didnt have any.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Asuka doesn't need to talk much, that whole so and so can talk is a lame excuse that territory has used for years, her facial expressions and body language are better than anyone else. Cutting a long promo shouldn't even be a requirement based on your Character. Same with Nakamura he has so much personality without saying much at all. There are alot of American born talent that didnt have any.

Word, I agree with you. I wasn't necessarily referring to ones promo abilities as a writer is designated to pen the shit anyway. I was referring more to building a relationship with Vince. HHH/Austin/Jericho/Punk & various others have all stressed that the sole most important thing on the main roster is building a rapport with the boss. It's why Corbin is the GM, or why Owens was given a significant amount of creativity over his character, or why Vince went to bat for Enzo. If you win him over you're golden. A lot of the talent don't do it, and they suffer for it.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Word, I agree with you. I wasn't necessarily referring to ones promo abilities as a writer is designated to pen the shit anyway. I was referring more to building a relationship with Vince. HHH/Austin/Jericho/Punk & various others have all stressed that the sole most important thing on the main roster is building a rapport with the boss. It's why Corbin is the GM, or why Owens was given a significant amount of creativity over his character, or why Vince went to bat for Enzo. If you win him over you're golden. A lot of the talent don't do it, and they suffer for it.

Case in point, Carmella. She went directly to Vince and suggested she work with Ellsworth as he was being moved away from AJ/Ambrose. As such, she gets MITB with a pretty lengthy title run and always find something for her to do.  Meanwhile, Sasha admitted to being scared of Vince at one point and Bayley didn't have a connection with him, either. It also helps that Carmella can cut a promo, let's be clear. And the end of the day, WWE wants you to be able to talk reasonably well.

As for American Alpha, Jordan was always going to get the push. He's bigger, just as athletic, and good looking. He can wrestle and be inserted in main event programs easily. And let's not undersell Jordan's over-entitled brat character before he got hurt. That was one of the best things going on Raw for several weeks. Gable is talented and charismatic, but it was always going to be an uphill battle for him as a solo act.

• Like 2

Yeah I get why Jordan was chosen, he ticks all the boxes for what Vince has a history of gravitating to.

Owens also spoke about being glued to the gorilla position during every show. He's been a sponge since day one. He has a open line with Vince and was given a long term contract for his commitment. As does Ambrose. Shit I've heard stories of Vince and Ambrose spit balling ideas back and forth into the early hours. It really is no surprise to me Sasha and co aren't being used in prominent positions because they're too frightened to knock Vince's door down and rather take pot shots on social media. 

As long as the outdated political system of Vince's regime is still in place, that's how things will operate. Be political or wait your turn. 

• Like 3

What's frustrating is they have HHH saying having a relationship with Vince is crucial. Reigns has said in interviews that you need to make Vince feel you're on the same page as him. They have the COO and the top guy in the company directly saying to establish a connection to Vince. It may be old-fashioned. But as long as he signs the checks, Vince gets to set the rules.

22 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I'm glad all those zany Charlotte apologists are gone so all of us can fully enjoy Becky Lynch, the most badass face in professional wrestling.

Becky’s not a face. She’s a bad friend, a sore loser, entitled, and a cheap-shot artist. And a potty mouth. 

I’m surprised someone like you would let those facts slide. I expect you to be overly critical, man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Gotta say, Hardy/Nakamura was pretty good, even with Orton showing up and Jeff flubbing the last line on his promo kinda-sorta ("And so yeah in a couple days I'm going to hell okayIguessnowwestartthematch"). It even kept my attention for that infuriating screen-in-screen whereupon Nak generously applied knees to the back of Jeff's head.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

IIRC, the guy in Rick’s profile pic was told directly by a few people that he’d have had a better spot if he’d gotten to know the boss a bit more.

Good stuff. 

Maybe if Van Dan prefered coke over pot, he would have been more liked by the old man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Becky’s not a face. She’s a bad friend, a sore loser, entitled, and a cheap-shot artist. And a potty mouth. 

I’m surprised someone like you would let those facts slide. I expect you to be overly critical, man.

So, she's esentially Steve Austin. He got over pretty well as a face.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

And she still would have lost to Carmella just like Charlotte did. Losing the streak didn't hurt Asuka. The shitty follow up which saw her doing nothing and then lose to Carmella twice in moronic ways did. Asuka would have been fine had they turned her heel and had go after Charlotte for breaking the streak. That would have been the most sensible angle. We could have had Charlotte/Asuka for another month or two before having Asuka reign as a semi-crazy painted face lady who would then drop the belt to a proper face Becky Lynch.

The issue really goes back to the dumbass Carmella push and the feel that they needed to make the first women's MITB winner count. Of course none of this would matter had by been sane and not given it to Carmella back then in the first damn place.

Winning the title and losing it thru some bullshit would have been a lot better than losing clean to Charlotte, Charlotte losing clean to Carmella. Being a former champion would be a buffer to the bad writing. As it is, she is a low card jobber who has less title reigns than Alicia Fox. 

Nakamura is protected because he is making way too much money not to do something with. 

Joe can stay over because he has the buffer of being a name. Lesser names or ones who came up in developmental are more vulnerable to booking. People are in denial, but a lot of people are influenced by booking. How many times have we seen people sour on someone just as the company stopped pushing them?

• Like 2