DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I'm having concerns with the Yanks, because while the Outfield now seems pretty damned stacked, the infield's a fucking mess, as is the rotation.

I say infield's a mess because Jeter's about done, Texiera been pedestrian when not hurt, who the hell knows if A-Rod is gonna be able to play this season, hurt or not, and there's nothing behind them.

I will say this - Brendan Ryan can't hit for shit but he can play defense so at least there is that too.

I will be happier when they eat Vernon Wells deal by June

OH! and they resigned Kuroda today too

As much as I don't like the Cardinals, they don't overspend like this, and look where they're at each and every year. I get it when the Yankees or Boston spend like crazy, but then I look at teams like the Mariners and I shake my head because it's like they want a seat at THAT table, not realizing that will never happen.

Never forget, all it takes is one team who is either a) desperate or  b ) stupid or c) both. . . .over/under on years before they regret this deal? I go 2.5 . . .

AND SPEAKING OF DESPERATE....

Granderson to Queens.   4/60

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10089565/new-york-mets-curtis-granderson-agree-4-years-60-million

As much as I don't like the Cardinals, they don't overspend like this, and look where they're at each and every year. I get it when the Yankees or Boston spend like crazy, but then I look at teams like the Mariners and I shake my head because it's like they want a seat at THAT table, not realizing that will never happen.

YEEEEEESSSSSS, CRAIG!!!!!!!!  YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

starwars5_clip28.jpg

Listening to the FAN, I can't believe these Yankee fan callers really think that Cano cares about playing in New York and there is this idea that Cano would have made up the difference in endorsements? Really? I don't even remember Cano having many endorsements the whole time he was in New York and even so...  We are not talking about a $65M difference. We are talking more like $90M+ considering there is no state income tax. No way he makes that up in New York.  

Also... this idea that he will be playing in no man's land. Maybe that's what he wants? Maybe he just doesn't care? As for the winning...  listen, the A's do a great job of contending every year but they are not some unbeatable juggernaut. the Angels are a mess. All the M's have to do is improve some and hope Texas falls off a bit.. it's not impossible to make the playoffs in that division. Plus, now there's also a second wild card to shoot for.

He was going to get twice that before injuries destroyed his 2013, and the presence of Lagares allow the Mets to move him to a corner to keep his health and defense intact. Don't see that as an overpay at all.

He hit .230 in 2012 with an all-or-nothing swing that produced 195 strikeouts and will produce a LOT fewer homers at Not-Shea.  This is a big overpay by the Mets.