DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Speaking of those movies, let us compile the "If Your Horror Franchise That Was Not Set In Outer Space Is Suddenly Set In Outer Space, Your Franchise Has Officially Jumped The Shark" list.

• Hellraiser:  Bloodlines
  • Leprechaun In Space
  • Dracula 3000
  • Jason X

You can't really count Critters 4, can you?  Most of the franchise plot takes place on Earth but the Critters are aliens, so technically the story starts off in outer space and 4 just returns the action back to outer space.

Leprechaun can’t jump the shark because it was always awful and holy shit I’ve seen three of them why god why?

Havent seen the movie, but Marvel did a good story few years ago where Dracula set up shop on the dark side of the moon to attack Earth.similar to  that the Alan Moore Swamp Thing story where vamps lived at bottom of a lake. 

My only recollection of any Leprechaun movie is in the second(?) one where he makes a guy hallucinate that the female lead is topless and inviting him to put his face in her breasts but it's really an industrial fan. So as long as I don't ever have to see the rap one or the space one, Leprechaun is pretty rad. 

Did Wishmaster ever make it to space? I feel like that should have happened. 

When It came out last year, me and my Sister, Laura talked about seeing it. It came out on DVD this Monday and I bought it for us both. I enjoyed it, so did she. Great performances from the titular character and all the kids in the Losers Club, particular Bill Skarsgard and Sophia Lillis. The way It talks and how it moves. Felt the movie could've shaved 10 minutes off.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

When It came out last year, me and my Sister, Laura talked about seeing it. It came out on DVD this Monday and I bought it for us both. I enjoyed it, so did she. Great performances from the titular character and all the kids in the Losers Club, particular Bill Skarsgard and Sophia Lillis. The way It talks and how it moves. Felt the movie could've shaved 10 minutes off.

Going to face my fears and finally, after the 6000th chance, see Alien on the big screen today. Seriously, I've had so many opportunities to go see it and something always came up. I swear. 

No wonder it is particularly foggy outside...

EDIT: Well that's out the window for various reasons. I'll probably just watch it tonight on TV to scare the shit out of myself instead

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Control said:

Leprechaun can’t jump the shark because it was always awful and holy shit I’ve seen three of them why god why?

The horror movie fan's curse of morbid curiosity.

A reboot of What We Do In The Shadows is in the works for the small screen.

FX has given a pilot order to a half-hour comedy based on the 2014 mockumentary horror film co-written, co-directed and starring Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi.

YES~!

• Like 1

Poster-2017-Get-Out.jpg

How bizarre is it that Blumhouse can finally use, "From the Producers of the Academy Award nominated film, Get Out," in its trailers for other shitty horror movies?

Grats to Jordan Peele (Best Director, Best Picture) and Daniel Kaluuya (Best Actor) for their Oscar nominations.

• Like 3

There's a listing on Waititi's IMDb for a show called Wellington Paranormal and another for a future WWDITS television movie. I think the Wellington show might be a New Zealand original program and the TV movie is the FX pilot. I thought they were making a spinoff film about the werewolves, but maybe that evolved into the tv shows.

I'm stoked for Peele and Kaluuya. The supporting cast did some excellent work as well, but those categories are incredibly stacked this year so I'm not surprised they didn't make it in. 

• Like 1

Well, fuck.

My boo, my kid, and I went to see Proud Mary in the Egyptian 20 Theaters in Hanover, MD on Saturday because the luxury reclining movie seats are the fucking bomb.

When the Slender Man trailer came on, my kid was like, "Holy Crap, Dad~! Can we see that when it comes out~??"

Since I am in the business of not disappointing my daughter, I sheepishly said, "Yeah."

This fucking Slender Man movie had better not totally suck.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 3:40 AM, J.T. said:

Well, now.  I brought my copy of Lake Mungo to work with me and I am afraid that I have ruined the sleep of a couple members of the Future Sim Division staff that left about an hour ago. 

220px-Lake_Mungo_Official_Poster.jpg

The mid-credit scenes totally fucked them up.

This movie has grown on me with repeated viewings.  I didn't particularly care for it the first time I saw it, but I understand and figure out a little more every time I watch it.

I was blown away by Lake Mungo.  Everyone I show it to is like, that's it?  The one big jump scare always gets me, and the mid-credits twist is one of the best twists in that it totally changes everything you've seen before.  Love this movie.  Did the people who made it ever make anything ever again? 

TMK, no.  The director, Joel Anderson, only has two credits to his name at iMDB and Bloody Disgusting.  If he moved on to a career in Aussie TV or something, he sure didn't tell anyone about it.

20 hours ago, J.T. said:

The horror movie fan's curse of morbid curiosity.

And on that note, I watched Jigsaw.

If nothing else, it's the best directed movie in the franchise. And boy oh boy did it want to have it's cake and eat it too. But it's in the upper half of the misbegotten franchise for sure.

• Haha 1