DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Hot 97 is a bigger deal than the Comedy Central XM radio station. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. Sure, switch out Roberts for Soder if you need the XM radio boost, but everyone from Punk to Reigns to Bryan has been in the Hot 97 studio promoting the NY shows when they’re in the area. I imagine WWE giving Rosenberg a preshow gig is thanks for that, and because he’s a (lapsed) fan.

Y’all out here acting like he’s commentating one of the main roster shows when all he does is Network/YouTube content for the company. 30-60 minutes before a RAW or PPV, and any other thing he does is a few minutes or a talking head spot. Him not knowing indie talent isn’t a big deal - plus he’s a self-admitted troll on Twitter who says shit just to get a rise out of people.

Never said that Comedy Central XM was bigger than Hot 97. All I was trying to say say was that I would like to see someone other than Rosenburg in his position. The Bonfire is way too edgy for WWE’s PG image anyway.

I don’t like Rosenburg. It has nothing to with his lack of knowledge of indie talent. It has more to do with him. I think he’s a tool. And I don’t think he was trolling with the #withalife on Twitter. I do think that Kevin Owens failed to see the sarcasm in that one tweet. But it also seemed like Rosenburg was teaching for support from one of the boys and Owens wasn’t gonna give it to him. That should tell you how Rosenburg is received backstage.

Its not just Rosenburg’s lack of wrestling knowledge that bothers me. I’m no Duke fan but his This Is Why Duke Sucks song/video is like the definition of trying too hard. 

• Sad 1

Rosenberg is getting the heat that he deserves. It wasn't about actively following the indies, it was about basic familiarity with new talent signed by a company that is paying you to be a talking head/spokesperson for their product.

If an NFL analyst openly bragged about not being familiar with the top picks in the NFL Draft he would be raked over the coals by the sports media world.

22 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

These conversations are reinforcing my belief that wrestlers can't win for losing anymore. We shit on them for anything and everything.

That isn't a problem isolated to just wrestlers

• Like 2

True, but for a group that claims so much love for the supposed artform, fans seem overly harsh toward those providing the entertainment. But I'm in the bubble, so my perception is warped.

So what if Sasha Banks says she's the best ever? She's a wrestler with what has been a pretty arrogant gimmick. I'm not sure why her saying that is a bad thing. If anything, she's keeping kayfabe. Which is something most fans say they want. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

True, but for a group that claims so much love for the supposed artform, fans seem overly harsh toward those providing the entertainment. But I'm in the bubble, so my perception is warped.

So what if Sasha Banks says she's the best ever? She's a wrestler with what has been a pretty arrogant gimmick. I'm not sure why her saying that is a bad thing. If anything, she's keeping kayfabe. Which is something most fans say they want. 

Exactly.  Every beloved for keeping it real old promo guy (Jake Roberts and Arn Anderson I'm looking at you) made "you have to believe you're the best when you step in that ring or you're already beaten.  Yes I am The Best" their central promo thesis repeatedly for the same reason every legit athlete drops the cliche "if we play our game like we know we can We Will Win" in every interview ever.

Thinking you're the best/going to win every individual time you go out there is the most basic level of pretending it's real and showing you give a shit.  And if the performer is not emotionally engaged and/or does not suspend their disbelief there's no way the audience is going to do either.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If The Miz says he's the greatest of all time in an interview would people be getting on him about it?   I don't believe so...  

I haven't been watching other than PPVs, but isn't Sasha Banks a babyface? Is she still doing those cringe promos she was pulling off in 2016 and early '17 where she lost any sense of what made her such an interesting character in NXT (self-assuredness as a face and cockiness as a heel)? If Miz were to say it, it would suit his character perfectly, so I don't really get the comparison. He's an egomaniacal heel.

And yeah, there is an interesting relationship between fans and wrestlers/promoters. Wrestlers denigrate fans all the time and to this day a lot are worried about coming off "markish" themselves. Wrestling fans can be some of the most difficult to please, are overly critical, among other negative attributes, but I think WWE has done a lot to pull that out of them. You don't really see the same kind of awkward relationship in most other promotions. CMLL fans rip on the booking and are critical of certain wrestlers who are overpushed but it's not the same. 

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If The Miz says he's the greatest of all time in an interview would people be getting on him about it?   I don't believe so...  

Reigns got crapped on for proclaiming himself the best in WWE during his interview with Graves on Straight to the Source. Which is a WWE product, so Reigns was talking in character most of the show. What exactly is he supposed to say, that he's only 12th-best in the company? He calls himself The Guy, for crying out loud. Humility isn't on his agenda. And in typical fashion, the naysayers bring New Japan into the conversation. It comes down to getting riled up over a wrestler doing the basic duties of their job. 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who is better Asuka?  Sure but she doesn't have the resume.  Every woman there has had their best match WITH Sasha. 

Hmm... Becky, Charlotte and Bayley definitely. Asuka's best (in WWE/NXT) is either Bayley or Moon. Nia's is either Bayley or Asuka. What's Alexa's best match? Paige is either Emma or AJ. 

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hmm... Becky, Charlotte and Bayley definitely. Asuka's best (in WWE/NXT) is either Bayley or Moon. Nia's is either Bayley or Asuka. What's Alexa's best match? Paige is either Emma or AJ. 

Is there anything better from Alexa than her match with Sasha? Maybe one of her Naomi matches.  But speaking of Naomi,  I believe her best match is right after Team Bad was breaking up and she faced Sasha on a Smackdown.  

I think Nia's best is either with Asuka or the match with Sasha in Boston for the #1 contender. 

The Bayley match where she slowly choked Nia out is my favorite, but I honestly only barely remember that Sasha match.

Not counting Bull who had a year and Aja's cup of coffee, you can definitely make the case that Sasha has been the best in-ring female performer in company history. You can probably also make the same argument for Bayley (so much of either argument is gonna hang on those two TakeOver matches)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Reigns got crapped on for proclaiming himself the best in WWE during his interview with Graves on Straight to the Source. Which is a WWE product, so Reigns was talking in character most of the show. What exactly is he supposed to say, that he's only 12th-best in the company? He calls himself The Guy, for crying out loud. Humility isn't on his agenda. And in typical fashion, the naysayers bring New Japan into the conversation. It comes down to getting riled up over a wrestler doing the basic duties of their job. 

No, the problem with the Reigns thing was that he claimed to be the best wrestler in the world right now. Straight up verbatim, no mention of "just in WWE" or whatever.

“You know I’m the best performer in ring in the world right now. You can go to my matches and my pay-per-views over the last three years and you can say I’m an idiot or you can be like ‘man, he’s got a point’, you know what I mean?”

I don't really have an opinion one way or another because I don't watch enough wrestling to have an opinion like that, and I think it's clearly a mixture of kayfabe and reality in that statement (mostly kayfabe). But that's the problem people had with it.

37 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Nia's best matches were definitely with Sasha. No one bumps around for her as well or seems to make her feel so comfortable letting go a bit. Alexa's best match is either that first match with Sasha or the match against Asuka from New Year's Day. Never thought much of Paige/Emma and none of the Paige/AJ matches were good. Paige's best match was probably a tag match with PCB.

• Like 1