DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Casey said:

What gets me are the fans that criticize other fans for only watching WWE, because they watch CMLL, NJPW, NOAH, AAA, Impact, various indies, Lucha Underground, PWG, etc. Who gives a fuck?

So fans of things really like a thing, yeah? And often they want to share their joy of that thing to more people, both so they have more people to talk about cool thing with and also to help support the thing they like.

Also some fans, especially those on the internet, are socially maladjusted idiots who don't really have much in the way of social graces. So they think a great way to talk up the thing they like, be it NJPW or underground hardcore punk and metal or Pride MMA etc, is by talking down the other thing like the person only has room for one thing. (Which to be fair, with the amount of content WWE put out each week isn't exactly the most outrageous assumption) So mostly it starts from a good place, a bit of evangelising for a group they love, but then it turns into a slapfight between haters & defenders of the shit you talked down & everyone gets embittered & hardens their position.. Needless to say, telling someone they think is good is shit rarely is a good way to win someone over, but it took me years of being an obnoxious dickhead to work that out. And by the time one generation works it out there's new dumb people to start the cycle of obnoxiousness all over.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Also some fans, especially those on the internet, are socially maladjusted idiots who don't really have much in the way of social graces. So they think a great way to talk up the thing they like, be it NJPW or underground hardcore punk and metal or Pride MMA etc, is by talking down the other thing like the person only has room for one thing.

... and then abandon it soon after for becoming too popular or mainstream. It's the most pathetic of vicious circles (and yes, I was one of those dickheads too in my younger days)

51 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I can't believe there's been two pages debating wrestlers smugly calling themselves 'the best' and the merits as to whether or not they are to back up this grandiose statement. It's called self-promotion you fucking marks or would you prefer some humble-bumble "Aww gee shucks, I'd say I'm maybe third best wrestler in the world sir based on DVDVR feedback."

heading.jpg

"... erm, well *pushes glasses up on nose* actually Mr. Race, there's an up and comer in Japan who has had more five star matches than you at this point"

Nice addition with the photo and caption.

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

Nothing in that statement is true.

The quality of his work is subjective, but if you don't think Marvel is in trouble, then you haven't been paying attention.  No one fires their Editor-in-Chief because they're happy with how things are going.

5 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

The quality of his work is subjective, but if you don't think Marvel is in trouble, then you haven't been paying attention.  No one fires their Editor-in-Chief because they're happy with how things are going.

I'm looking at the Marvel solicitations for January. I'm familiar with pretty much every writer (no idea about Jody Houser or Gabby Rivera or Rodney Barnes) and the only ones I'd even potentially put Punk over are Mike Costa, Victor Gischler, and maybe Guggenheim (who's way more polished but raw Punk might be better). Maybe. Whatever problems Marvel has, the actual writing (which isn't necessarily the same as the writers being superstars that can move books, which Punk wasn't, or the writers being tasked to write about things that are marketable in the wasteland that is the 2018 direct market) is pretty good line-wise. 

Since it’s Rumble season, I decided to just watch some random (good) match that I hadn’t seen in a while. Goddamn, that Hart/Razor match from ‘93 is awesome. Bret made Ramon look like a huge threat, when the guy didn’t really do much up until that point. I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, Burgundy LaRue said:

True, but for a group that claims so much love for the supposed artform, fans seem overly harsh toward those providing the entertainment. But I'm in the bubble, so my perception is warped.

So what if Sasha Banks says she's the best ever? She's a wrestler with what has been a pretty arrogant gimmick. I'm not sure why her saying that is a bad thing. If anything, she's keeping kayfabe. Which is something most fans say they want. 

Indeed. Here's a wonderful example of the death of kayfabe, and like you, I'm pretty sure that I don't like the results. Dial back to the early 1970s or the 1960s and Johnny Valentine is saying "I'm here to take the _______ title and anyone getting in my way is going to the hospital!" We didn't doubt for a second that the poor guy matched against him next week was leaving the building in an ambulance.

Now Sasha Banks says she's the greatest ever, which is EXACTLY what an arrogant heel should say and we're going to get pages of discussion as to whether or not she was making the statement in character or if she's a delusional chucklehead. Nothing that I've read about the young lady is indicative of anything other than that she's just heeling it up, and good on her for that! We need more wrestlers kayfabing it to restore just a tad of the willing suspension of disbelief that makes this stuff so magical. Quite a few years ago I recall reading or hearing about a Southern Cal Indy wrestler, (I want to say it was Super Dragon, but I'm not 100% sure, it was def a guy that works under a mask though). Anyway, said wrestler and other heels from the fed came into a restaurant (I believe it was a Denny's or something similar), and a fan already seated and having dinner called out the heel's kayfabe name and waved. The wrestler walked over to the table and the fan thought he was going to get offered an autograph or tickets to the next show... Instead, the masked villain grabbed the guy's steak off the plate, took a big bite of it , dropped it back on the plate and walked away. I thought that was the greatest thing I'd ever heard of! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

I advised that Ryan and Iron start a tag team as "Inappropriate And Very Gay".

Too bad Razor Ramon HG is retired. Joey Ryan, Gregory Iron, and Razor Ramon HG as Inappropriate and Hard Gay would make for a great trio.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, caley said:

(possibly with vagina) !!! should be the name of a tag team for them. 

There's a ska punk band somewhere that just found it's name. I can easily picture a band called (possibly with vagina) !!! opening for Reel Big Fish.

• Like 2