DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

It always seemed like the first moment that DVDVR really diverged was 2006 when DVDVR were really early Mark Henry adopters. That was not just early on "getting into Mark Henry before he became known as being awesome", but more specifically the first time any boards really went all in on one of the "hosses", the group of wrestlers that was anathema to any IWC fan for most of the early 2000s due to that IWC influence.

And now, in this time hosses have become some of the best thing about wrestling to the point a lot of people would be over the moon if WWE's next tournament miniseries was a hoss tournament, so it's clear DVDVR won.

Partially, we were smarter. Cause holy Christ Henry was awesome. But part of it is also scarcity. We used to have rosters, especially in the WWF, that were 2/3s hoss, if not more. Now we only have a few, most of them are aging and stale, and nearly everybody works a style that is at least partially influenced by puro and WCW cruiserweights, so big bruising hoss fights stand out more.

------------------

Al Isaacs was actually the first wrestling writer I read regularly. Scoops was fun. 

We haven't brought up Sean Shannon yet. I sincerely hope that person found some peace in life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Partially, we were smarter. Cause holy Christ Henry was awesome. But part of it is also scarcity. We used to have rosters, especially in the WWF, that were 2/3s hoss, if not more. Now we only have a few, most of them are aging and stale, and nearly everybody works a style that is at least partially influenced by puro and WCW cruiserweights, so big bruising hoss fights stand out more.

------------------

Al Isaacs was actually the first wrestling writer I read regularly. Scoops was fun. 

We haven't brought up Sean Shannon yet. I sincerely hope that person found some peace in life.

Wow. I forgot all about Sean Shannon. I do recall him habing some turbulence, buy I can't remember why...

Just now, Wyld Samurai said:

Wow. I forgot all about Sean Shannon. I do recall him habing some tirbulence, buy I can't remember why...

Sean either had or was considering having a sex change operation. And, this being the IWC in the early 00's, people were horrible about it.

• Like 1

I was an Xavier Doom's Slayground/DDT Digest guy. Then that died with WCW and I got more into indy wrestling which led me to the DOI (poor poor Tara Charisma) and then searching for info on the Benoit murders led me to the "Ring of Hell" topic here and that was what got me into this place .

Was the Smarks cartoon funny? I remember it being funny but I was a teen then and and we all know teenagers are terrible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

I know their was some drama behind it’s closing but wth actually happened to czwfans board? 

That was the first wrestling message board I actually posted on as opposed to just replying to the comments section of articles.  I posted there from early 02 to 2010 or so when I lost interest in wrestling for a while and it was a great place for a while.  The age and maturity level was considerably less there than here but people were pretty accepting of a wide taste in styles and wrestlers and didn't particularly ride any promotion.  I wasn't actively posting there when it got shut down, but from what I recall several key members trolled another really sketchy message board that was centered around stalking wrestlers and other celebs or something like that.  The people from the other board doxxed these people in retaliation and sent some stuff to their employers (I believe at least one of the czwfans mods worked for WWE) and that resulted in the board being shut down.

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I used to like Chris Hyatte a lot but I can't imagine his stuff has aged well. I found a Twitter for him but who the hell knows if it's legit

It hasn't.  And what's worse, his shadow has infected recappers & ongoing show coverers(?).  I gave up regular USA, so I rely on live coverage sites, so if anyone has anyone better to suggest than 411's Tony Acero, I'm open to suggestions.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sean either had or was considering having a sex change operation. And, this being the IWC in the early 00's, people were horrible about it.

Despite our bloody internet feuding, Shannon has contacted me a few times over the years. Had the operation, doesn't watch much wrestling anymore, and is happy as can be as a woman after being a miserable bastard as a man. Truly, she's become a very nice person, quite the opposite of old life. I wish her all the best.

• Like 8

Glad to see watching some old NWA/JCP stuff has brought this old school IWC chattery.

Currently watching Starrcade ‘88 (up to Rick Steiner vs. Mike Rotunda at the moment) and it’s been pretty forgettable until this point, by the way.

23 minutes ago, nate said:

It hasn't.  And what's worse, his shadow has infected recappers & ongoing show coverers(?).  I gave up regular USA, so I rely on live coverage sites, so if anyone has anyone better to suggest than 411's Tony Acero, I'm open to suggestions.

I think i read more CRZ than anyone else when it came to recapping. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nate said:

@OSJ, you seem like one of the shoot nicest guys I've cyberly come across.  

@nate, thank you very much! I'm afraid I have a dark side, but I keep it in check now by not letting shit push my buttons.  I'm sixty now and freely admit to being quite the asshat on this board years ago, but I've found you can be right all the time or you can be kind, and the latter is much easier. Now, let anyone talk shit about the Cramps, El Samurai, Barry Windham, Jushin Liger, the Pogues, Bowie, or AC/DC and watch the gloves come off. ;-)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You've come back around, Tardos Mors.

That's got to be the best ERB reference I've seen in thirty years. Well done, sir! (I actually had to think for a second, "where do I know that name from?" ) Amazingly enough, I remembered and I haven't read ERB since I was 11 years old. Funny what can stick with you for nearly fifty years.

40 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Glad to see watching some old NWA/JCP stuff has brought this old school IWC chattery.

Currently watching Starrcade ‘88 (up to Rick Steiner vs. Mike Rotunda at the moment) and it’s been pretty forgettable until this point, by the way.

It hurts if you do not have the TV for context. 

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

Yes, yes it is. More years ago than would be kind to me to enumerate, he, Tony Gancarski and I terrorized RSPW and other sites as "The Workrate Cru" mocking the markish and mawkish at every turn. SNowden got way into MMA early on and Ganc became an Ann Coulter fanboy. I'm still here, older, maybe a bit wiser, and still talking about rasslin.

Wasn't Ganc trying to make it as an actual political blogger/journo? Because I remember when the DVDVR had a Wikipedia page, he really wanted his name to not be on there, so none of his politico mates would know he used to write about Wrestling.

4 hours ago, We Are The Robots said:

The saddest day of my life was when I realized that I had read more words written by Dave fucking Meltzer than any other writer in history. This is now the only wrestling site I visit.

Well, if you ask most people in the World when writer have they read more words by than any other, they'd have no idea whatsoever. It's just Meltzer is astoundingly prolific. Any novelist or journalist in the world would kill to have Dave's rate of production. But not his grammar or sentence construction.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn't Ganc trying to make it as an actual political blogger/journo? Because I remember when the DVDVR had a Wikipedia page, he really wanted his name to not be on there, so none of his politico mates would know he used to write about Wrestling.

Well, if you ask most people in the World when writer have they read more words by than any other, they'd have no idea whatsoever. It's just Meltzer is astoundingly prolific. Any novelist or journalist in the world would kill to have Dave's rate of production. But not his grammar or sentence construction.

1. Wouldn't surprise me. I'm thankful that there are lots of wrestling fans among my brother and sister horror writers.

2. Wow, I had never really thought of this before, I've read every word Jack Vance ever wrote, 18 or so books by James Branch Cabell, and many, many other authors, but yeah, Meltz has to be up there.

12 minutes ago, Victator said:

The funny thing was Ganc was writing absolutely reprehensible shit about mothers of dead soldiers and had no problem with his name being attached. But oh no I can't be seen talking about wrestling. I still think he was Hollywood Cibernetico. 

Wouldn't surprise me, both he and Snowden showed themselves to be rather unpleasant people after I got to know them. I was doing the Workrate Cru shit to be funny, in retrospect I think they were dead serious.