DVDVR Message Board

Please Don't Fuck Around With Hurricane Harvey

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Floating fire ant balls are real. Can confirm.

fortunately pretty far from gator park, but there have been some gator incidents, as well as stingrays, crawfish, and other large fish encounters on my Facebook stream.

Look on the bright side, with the exception of the fire ants, everything that you named is some damn fine eatin'!

Also - sadly as per usual - the Red Cross has put out a call for blood donations of all types so if you are able consider donating some blood.

I mean you should always consider donating blood if you are able but again the need goes up after disasters

Sadly, ineligible due to regs with medications or I would. Why is Lawful Metal flipping me off? I didn't do anything I swear! Those fire ants were just a test of your resolve!

Yeah - I am fairly certain I am no longer eligible since I went on High Blood Pressure medicine this summer.

There are missing out on my sweet sweet A-

I'm donating today. I've never donated before and my wife is urging me to since she donates all the time. Just a little nervous for what it's like. IVs have been in my arm or hand plenty of times though, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I am fairly certain I am no longer eligible since I went on High Blood Pressure medicine this summer.

There are missing out on my sweet sweet A-

You might check if that's something you want to do. I'm on a daily ARB and I'm still able to donate.

It would be nice to do so but I have been rejected the last three times I tried

Granted I also have something of a case of "White Coast Syndrome" so it is been tough getting past the gatekeepers.

I am probably borderline now and it will just depend on the day.

Apparently the Arkema organic peroxide plant in Crosby, TX has lost primary and secondary cooling and is going to explode.  Not a question of if but of when.  They started evacuating people from around the plant yesterday, but I can imagine it's impossible to make sure you have everyone in this kind of situation.  This is going to be super, super bad.

I didn't really need more reasons to think Mattress Mack is awesome, or that Osteen is a piece of shit, but I got em anyway.  Mack's gonna end up writing off a shit ton of furniture and apparently didn't think twice about it.  Meanwhile Osteen's biggest concern was probably getting mud tracked on his carpets.  Multiple mosques were going out and actively looking for people that need shelter at the same time Lakewood was going out of their way to keep people away.  They didn't wait for the city to ask, asshole.

I loved reading some asshole takes on twitter about how they'd never set foot in a mosque because they're true Christians and they'd be killed for being an infidel or some such rubbish. Real rational thinking folks. I think some may have even been in Houston to boot. If a cult of Scientologists opened up their place for refuge, I'd take that chance without thinking. I'd just steal some E-Meters to sell on Craigslist while I was there.

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Apparently the Arkema organic peroxide plant in Crosby, TX has lost primary and secondary cooling and is going to explode.  Not a question of if but of when.  They started evacuating people from around the plant yesterday, but I can imagine it's impossible to make sure you have everyone in this kind of situation.  This is going to be super, super bad.

I'm sure you know by now, but the explosions happened not too long ago.  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-arkema-idUSKCN1BA2LF?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social  It's troubling that not only will more explosions happen but they can't even get to it for a few days due to high water levels.  It's even more troubling that worst case scenario if everything shuts down it could affect over a million people (or a range of 23 miles)  If you're in Houston I hope y'all are doing okay.  And I also hope you're not near the radius of the plant.

28 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm sure you know by now, but the explosions happened not too long ago.  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-arkema-idUSKCN1BA2LF?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social  It's troubling that not only will more explosions happen but they can't even get to it for a few days due to high water levels.  It's even more troubling that worst case scenario if everything shuts down it could affect over a million people (or a range of 23 miles)  If you're in Houston I hope y'all are doing okay.  And I also hope you're not near the radius of the plant.

Yep, and they're being very cagey about what materials they have on site, so people downwind don't know what they're being exposed to.

Also, and this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but the hurricane (along with some unrelated production disasters elsewhere) are looking like they're going to cause global shortages of some widely used industrial chemicals, which is going to cause supply issues and price spikes for all kinds of things.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, Ryan said:

If the gator park overflows and you see some swimming by, think nothing of it. Just go on like you didn't see a 12 foot monster.

And if one of them asks for tree fiddy, just give it to them.

• Like 2

Power went out Saturday Night. Flooding started late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. We got 6 inches in the house during Alison, none during Ike & Rita. It was 3x as much water this time around. Was afraid it would keep rising with how hard the rain was coming down, but we lucked out and it never rose above 18 or 19 inches. Still had to go to a shelter which saw my father, my older brother, and myself walk a mile in water going as high as our chests to the nearest grocery store and wait 3 hrs. just to be evacuated to a shelter (my older high school). Went to another shelter a few days later and spent a night there before leaving the next afternoon to my youngest sister's house. Picked up some stuff form my house today. My electronics were generally fine (placed them all high) but much of the house is fucked including our power and a/c (they were kept outside and on the ground). Mold is already starting to grow in some areas. My dad had four cars in the driveway. All of them got flooded including the trucks. His only safe car was one being kept in the shop. My poor brother had his car completely submerged since it was on the street. Feel sorry for him since he was only doing his usual weekend visit to my dad and myself. On the other and we have been wanting to him to get a new car so yeah there I guess (its an extremely  hollow victory). Both my sisters made it out fine with pwoer never going out or their houses flooding. My brother is good as well aside from his care. His apartment was perfectly ok. We are generally safe and sound though we won't have a home of our own for a while now since my father was a bit too arrogant in thinking the flood insurance was unnecessary since Alison was supposedly a 100 year flood (to be fair they totally tried to gouge him back then when inquiring). Right now we are staying at my younger sister's while waiting to see what our options are.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Power went out Saturday Night. Flooding started late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. We got 6 inches in the house during Alison, none during Ike & Rita. It was 3x as much water this time around. Was afraid it would keep rising with how hard the rain was coming down, but we lucked out and it never rose above 18 or 19 inches. Still had to go to a shelter which saw my father, my older brother, and myself walk a mile in water going as high as our chests to the nearest grocery store and wait 3 hrs. just to be evacuated to a shelter (my older high school). Went to another shelter a few days later and spent a night there before leaving the next afternoon to my youngest sister's house. Picked up some stuff form my house today. My electronics were generally fine (placed them all high) but much of the house is fucked including our power and a/c (they were kept outside and on the ground). Mold is already starting to grow in some areas. My dad had four cars in the driveway. All of them got flooded including the trucks. His only safe car was one being kept in the shop. My poor brother had his car completely submerged since it was on the street. Feel sorry for him since he was only doing his usual weekend visit to my dad and myself. On the other and we have been wanting to him to get a new car so yeah there I guess (its an extremely  hollow victory). Both my sisters made it out fine with pwoer never going out or their houses flooding. My brother is good as well aside from his care. His apartment was perfectly ok. We are generally safe and sound though we won't have a home of our own for a while now since my father was a bit too arrogant in thinking the flood insurance was unnecessary since Alison was supposedly a 100 year flood (to be fair they totally tried to gouge him back then when inquiring). Right now we are staying at my younger sister's while waiting to see what our options are.

Shit. Best wishes to you and your family, @Eivion

Glad for @Lawful Metal.