DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 11/1/16 - God Bless That Chinless Freak

RIPPA

Kane/Bray - 2:08

Alexa/Carmella vs Nikki/Becky - 5:56 (at least 4 minutes occurred during commercial break)

AA vs. SS - 1:59

Ziggler/Hawkins - 7 seconds

Usos vs. Headbangers - 1:23

Ambrose/Styles - 13:44

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Loved Shane's interaction with Natalya. 

Nattie has been far beter utilized as a heel. It's perfect for her character that she would be relegated to "coach". I look forward to some sort of sabotage.

The women's tag was too short for my tastes but it accomplished what it was supposed to accomplish so I won't balk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Glad Baron is a part of the SDL team.

Baron is that you? 

I'm not even on the Miz train but I completely understood his anger for not being on the team when someone like Baron is. 

Safe to say RAW could sweep this SS PPV. 

Also this thread lacks a Randy Orton glowy eyes gif and one of Jason Jordan's "punches". 

• Like 1

Man, Styles and Ambrose bring out the best in each other. 

The Uso's have 100% embraced this heel turn. I've heard people talk about how guys won't fully turn heel because they don't get rid of what makes the crowd cheer them. The Usos have done that. No more HAKA, no more catchy theme. No more bright colors. Just kicking ass. Well done. 

If, IF, they were ever to let Daniel Bryan wrestle again, the Miz seems like the perfect guy to have his last match with. He's probably one of the safest guys in the company (unless you're jumping out of the ring onto him). It REALLY feels like they're building to that.

Alexa Bliss is all the dollar signs.

Finally, it's so crazy to me how this show with Ambrose, Styles, Wyatt, Ziggler, and a bunch of also-rans and mid carders is SO much more compelling than RAW every week. Hats off to the writing team...

• Like 2

I was amused and kind of confused at Rippa and RevRay trashing the show on Twitter.  It was a damn fine episode.  The Ellsworth stuff was well-done and it was nice that it paid off with him "helping" Dean win.  Dean can say that he beat AJ in a clean match, but it didn't make AJ look like a chump either.  Good stuff.  Also though Carmella's promo was great, didn't know she had that in her.  And Alexa is as always amazing.  I'm amused that she is taking her Disney obsession and referencing it in her heel promos.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, just drew said:

Man, Styles and Ambrose bring out the best in each other. 

The Uso's have 100% embraced this heel turn. I've heard people talk about how guys won't fully turn heel because they don't get rid of what makes the crowd cheer them. The Usos have done that. No more HAKA, no more catchy theme. No more bright colors. Just kicking ass. Well done. 

If, IF, they were ever to let Daniel Bryan wrestle again, the Miz seems like the perfect guy to have his last match with. He's probably one of the safest guys in the company (unless you're jumping out of the ring onto him). It REALLY feels like they're building to that.

Alexa Bliss is all the dollar signs.

Finally, it's so crazy to me how this show with Ambrose, Styles, Wyatt, Ziggler, and a bunch of also-rans and mid carders is SO much more compelling than RAW every week. Hats off to the writing team...

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan at Night of Champions 2010 remains one of my favourite ever Daniel Bryan matches with what happened with Bryan in NXT, getting released by the WWE to come back the way he did.

NOD TO THE PAST ALERT: The Miz was understandably pissed he didn't make the Survivor Series Smackdown Live Team. Back in 2010, The Miz was annoyed as Daniel Bryan was picked ahead of him in Team WWE vs. the Nexus at SummerSlam 2010. Nice work with that recall!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I was amused and kind of confused at Rippa and RevRay trashing the show on Twitter.  It was a damn fine episode.

Because the show was terrible - that is why I am amused at this being the one Jay was praising for being so much more compelling than RAW. Any other week I would have agreed with that.

The Main Event was fine albeit kinda ridiculous (and expected finish).

I already posted about the match times for the rest of the show. WAY too much time was spent on the Orton/Bray/Kane stuff which was tolerable for a weeks but has fully moved into stupid now.

Alexa is good. Carmella is not and I really don't need to flashback to High School while listening to her talk.

Daniel Bryan is a horrible GM so the entire logic of the Miz segments is flawed as is the way they are constructing their Survivor Series teams. Plus both of them couldn't speak. Miz kept saying they were on RAW and Bryan might as well said Ziggler's name was Zeitgeist

Also - I mean he is pointless in the long run and I don't care about him but they spent WEEKS building Curt Hawkins for something and that something was to lose to Ziggler in less than 10 seconds.

Even if I agreed with everything you liked about the show - that still was only a 1/4 of a 2 hour show.

We really shouldn't be giving Smackdown a pass just because it isn't RAW

Good points, didn't really notice lack of match time until you mentioned it.  The Wyatt stuff is goofy and I can't really defend that either.  And Hawkins was going to be a job guy anyway, might as well be one that people will kind of notice.

But for Daniel to exclude Miz from the SS match it makes sense to me.  Even if you don't buy the "He turned down a rematch so he's not a fighter!" argument it's clear Daniel has it out for Miz.  It was prompted by Miz's insults but him not being the match does fit the narrative.  As for forming the team it's not a bad lineup at all.  Baron should look good, there's Wyatt interacting with Braun you can play off of, and Dean interacts with Roman and Seth.  Orton's a crapshoot depending on when his kid is born, but AJ will bring the quality to round off the team.  Without Cena there this sounds like a pretty good lineup to me.  As for the women I'd love if they say Becky isn't captain due to uncertainty from her injury.  But take that out and it's still looking like a solid lineup.  The tag team SS match should be pretty good too.

I certainly wouldn't say Daniel is a horrible GM for the matchups, there's more questionable calls they had him make in the past.  So while I wish there was more match time, I can quite easily say SD was a better show, and not just because it wasn't Raw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The Wyatt stuff is goofy and I can't really defend that either.

Back when I was a kid and Papa Shango made The Warrior barf up black ooze, I though Papa Shango was the coolest and the scariest. Or at the Royal Rumble when Yokozuna and all the bad guys murdered the Undertaker and then he told us that The Undertaker is the soul of all mankind and then Marty Janetty in an Undertaker costume was lifted into the rafters Undertaker's ghost ascended to heaven, I thought Undertaker was the coolest and the strongest. So I guess, in defense of the Orton stuff, I could see a kid being way into it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Back when I was a kid and Papa Shango made The Warrior barf up black ooze, I though Papa Shango was the coolest and the scariest. Or at the Royal Rumble when Yokozuna and all the bad guys murdered the Undertaker and then he told us that The Undertaker is the soul of all mankind and then Marty Janetty in an Undertaker costume was lifted into the rafters Undertaker's ghost ascended to heaven, I thought Undertaker was the coolest and the strongest. So I guess, in defense of the Orton stuff, I could see a kid being way into it.

Was it Janetty?

I always thought it was a dummy

I also was always too focused on the fact that Tenryu was helping. Like what the fuck did Taker ever do to you?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I prefer Randy wanting to be with the Wyatt's and not turn on them. Otherwise you'll get comparisons to this masterpiece

Actually... I would prefer this.  Have Bray & Luke *LEARN* from history. Randy Orton is leaving for paternity leave soon, allegedly.  So... Yeah, he's been setting up Bray for humiliation when he turns on him for trusting him. When he is about to RKO Bray, have Luke lariat the hell out of him, run a vicious beatdown/injury angle, stretcher job. Have Bray immediately cut a promo about remembering Daniel Bryan's treachery, and knowing who the true believers are.

If you're going to have him play a mastermind dangerous heel, make him one.

This is not hard. 

• Like 6

Maybe it was because I was there live but I enjoyed RAW more this week than Smackdown. I liked the women's tag and promo that followed and Miz TV was decent. I really enjoyed the main event. Everything else not so much.

I thought the best segment of the week was Goldberg/Heyman/Rusev. The only thing on RAW I didn't like was the Shining Stars tag. We had already seen Cesaro/Sheamus.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Was it Janetty?

I always thought it was a dummy

I also was always too focused on the fact that Tenryu was helping. Like what the fuck did Taker ever do to you?

Tenryu was on Cornette/Fuji's payroll that night, his primary task along with Kabuki was to make sure Luger didn't win the Rumble, and I suppose that Tenryu was also tasked with helping Yokozuna retain the belt.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

thats because it was in the photo thread

You're going to sass yourself into reviewing WCW Sin, mister. 

• Like 2