DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Thinking about it, if when Sansa finally gets the candle in the window, the result doesn't look like Brienne doing the equivilant of this:

I'm gonna be dissappointed.

Stannis is the wild card there, and that's part of the frustration in this. The concern is that whatever Sansa does is going to be a third-level action. She'll act which will let Brienne act which will let Stannis win. In the grand scheme of things (grand game of thrones) that's pretty weak. 

Like Trish Stratus waking up Linda so she could slap Vince so Shane could win at Wrestlemania.  Her big "payback" for being made to bark like a dog.  Which is what truly bothered me about the scenes, then as now.

• Like 1

Reek.

No matter how much they try to bury him with stupid angles like joining the guys who cut his dick off, the crowd still pops for his "rhymes with" chant.

Both could stand a good shivving.  Vengeance for the Red Wedding would be a nice diffusing strategy before dropping the bombshell of the Jon Snow assassination.  If the writers are making this up as they go from now on, why not?

You know, I'm going to stick this show out to the end, and I'm sure I'll enjoy much of it, but on the whole this show has kinda sucked all season and I'm not convinced that it's going to get much better. I mean, the books started to get crappy, so it's not surprising, but I had hopes that the writers would be able to make the show their own and take the story in a new, interesting direction, one better suited to television. But they aren't.

• Like 1

You know, I'm going to stick this show out to the end, and I'm sure I'll enjoy much of it, but on the whole this show has kinda sucked all season and I'm not convinced that it's going to get much better. I mean, the books started to get crappy, so it's not surprising, but I had hopes that the writers would be able to make the show their own and take the story in a new, interesting direction, one better suited to television. But they aren't.

Thanks, Comic Book Guy.

• Like 1

that was great. I have a feeling that the last 3 episodes are going to make everyone forget about the first 7 episodes. 

Dany getting a lesson from Tyrion was great. 

Sansa learning her brothers are alive was the sign of hope we have been waiting for. 

The Wildling stuff was insane... among the best stuff ever shown on the show. 

You know, I am glad I watched the first 4 episodes or whatever it was in a row. I haven't been as down on this season as most people and I think watching all of those shows in a marathon helped. 

• Like 1

I popped a little when Qyburn showed up to remind us oh ho-hum, still workin' on Frankengregor.  No big whoop.

Marked out pretty hard when Sansa finally found out her younger brothers are alive.

But by the end of the hour they were barely even on my radar anymore.

One strong showing by the Walkers and most of my reservations about this underwhelming season are gone.  All gone.  Like the Undertaker [can't help but draw the parallel with the black get-up and slowly raising the arms to raise the lights wights], showing up once a year to be awesome and give the rub to the worthy (i.e. Jon, though the Giant just walking away through the water with no fucks given was pretty good too).

EDIT:  Oh, good, the internet did not wait long...

• Like 1

I'm still not convinced Jon Snow is dead dead and isn't going to pull off some crazy Targaryen shit or warg or something. He is basically the personification of the series' title. I get that killing off protagonists in cold-blooded manner is a staple of the series too, but I feel like there have been too many allusions to super natural shit with him in the books (Azor Ahai, for instance) for him to just get shanked and that's the end of him. Either way, there are a lot of great themes that will come about with how that plays out.

The show has become more and more of a Hollywood cliche (I laughed hard when Grey Worm's helmet gets knocked off in that alley scene so conveniently as to allow viewers to make sure they know it's him) and focusing on main characters more and more (Edd, Jon, and Tormund are the only non-giant survivors of those left behind, etc.). The one that got me was the introduction of the female wildling just so they can kill her off in the same episode with the corny play on her maternal instincts -> death by chillin' children. As she stared longingly at her kids getting shipped off it was basically Hollywood 101 "THIS PERSON IS GOING TO DIE, FEEL BAD."  All this betrays the spirit of the novels but I suppose it was inevitable.

Saying that, tonight's episode certainly righted the ship in a massive way. Pretty much everything was done well barring the aforementioned quibbles (minor anyway) and was heck of entertaining. Giants rule.

ypgu98kmywigaumoszxe.gif

• Like 2

What a great show!   I don't hate this season as much as some do, but Holy Crap that is about as awesome of an episode as there has been in any season to date.

It amazes me that GoT still manages to avoid being totally nihilistic despite the loss or emotional hardening of some of the more sympathetic characters.  I definitely hope that if they do decide to go through with the Jon shivving that he somehow survives..  

Now that the night has come and the dead with it, the North is in dire need of men who have the best interest of Westeros at heart and that man certainly doesn't have the last name of Lannister, Bolton, or Baretheon. 

Now more than ever, I feel that the GoT world would be a better place with Snow or Dany on the Iron Throne.... with Tyrion advising naturally.