DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I loved the way the guy who was supposed to be rowing the boat was so shook that he forgot to, so they just drifted out to sea really slowly and were still close enough to do the epic stare-down.

If they are ending the season with Jon getting Ceaser'ed*, the boats are really going to have to rush back to the wall. Because the wildlings need to do enough to piss the Crows off to make them want to kill Jon - plus Jon needs to send Sam to the Citadel before the season ends, because the casting call gives away that we're seeing the Tarly family reunited next year.

* See how they conditioned the audience to expect the big death in episode 9, and then killed Joffrey in episode 2? Just imagine if they kill Jon in episode 1 of next series. Makes sense to not kill him as a cliffhanger for this year, because if he's back next year, people will know that he's turned up to film it.

Shame they killed off the wildling lady.

Tragedy usually adds value to a story, but I really am numb to it when it happens in GoT.  I am used to seeing sympathetic characters die and I am more surprised by the good news situations like Sansa learning that Rickson and Bran are still alive.

Did some of th wildling look familiar?

Yeah, I heard last week that the members of the metal band, Mastodon, asked for cameos on the show so that they could be Wildlings / Walkers.

• Like 1

I honestly really enjoyed the first four or five episodes of this season and thought it was fresh and exciting, but eps 6 and 7 were fucking awful.  This one definitely righted the ship, but they are being way too on the nose with Ollie about to Omar Jon Snow.  I don't think there's much of a chance he actually dies, though, simply because there's too much backstory there.

The Mastodon thing was indeed awesome.

• Like 1

Shame they killed off the wildling lady.

Tragedy usually adds value to a story, but I really am numb to it when it happens in GoT.  I am used to seeing sympathetic characters die and I am more surprised by the good news situations like Sansa learning that Rickon and Bran are still alive.

Expecting her to die is one thing. Just not in her first episode. Although, maybe they keep her around as one of the King's featured aides-de-camp.

I was also waiting for one of the Wildlings to bring up Igrette.

So, I guess with the "Valyrian Steel kills White Walkers" reveal, I'm guessing that Jon is sending Sam south less to become a Maester and more to try and get Heartsbane from Daddy.  

So, I guess with the "Valyrian Steel kills White Walkers" reveal, I'm guessing that Jon is sending Sam south less to become a Maester and more to try and get Heartsbane from Daddy.  

The Valyrian Steel angle will become an excellent plot point should Jon get shivved.   The folks who have Valyrian Steel swords aren't exactly inclined to use them in defense of everyone in Westeros and the one man that has such a blade and does seem to have everyone's best interest at heart gets shanked in the novels.

Not that it really matters in the series given that the writers are doing their own thing now.

I'm pretty sure Jon figuring out (by accident) that Valyeran Steel actually *is* Dragonsteel and is the OTHER thing that can kill White Walkers, along with the "Lone Tagyeran" line a couple episodes ago and the "He always comes back", that if he does get stabbed in the next two episodes, the season ends with the burning of his corpse failing as Melissandre strolls back into Castle Black. 

No way they keep him dead with this season's buildup.

• Like 1

GRRM was never going to keep him dead, either, it just feels that way because the books take so long to come out now.

It's much more a matter of when and how (and by who) than a matter of if.

[lol if Melisandre and The Night's King end up fighting over who gets him :)]

I'm hoping they "kill" him off as the climax next week, and have everyone despair and rage as the parallel gets drawn with Ned in S1 and Robb in S3... and then the very last frame of episode 10 is his eyes springing open, and leave everyone to ponder that for a year.

I agree. You can't leave him dead between seasons. It would be almost impossible to keep his eventual return hush hush.

I was just thinking about it in terms of "another babyface Stark jobs clean AGAIN?  Fuck this shit I'm switching over to Vikings !" but that's a good point too.

Also at this point in the show's run "coming back from the dead" is a way bigger cliffhanger than "dead" (which we see all the time; valar morghulis and what not).

I've heard that theory, but not sure how they could possibly pull that off in the show without seriously jumping the shark.  But I guess with Aegon written out (and him being written out is likely a big book spoiler, IMO), there does need to be a third Targaryen. 

Well, the funny thing about all the Third Targaryen theories out there, everyone misses what should be an obivious one.

There's a reason Robert became King when Ned had more of a reason rebel against Aerys than Robert did.

I agree. You can't leave him dead between seasons. It would be almost impossible to keep his eventual return hush hush.

Also at this point in the show's run "coming back from the dead" is a way bigger cliffhanger than "dead" (which we see all the time; valar morghulis and what not).

I feel like a lot of the choices Weiss & Benioff have made in terms of doing away with certain death fakeouts and resurrections (or at least, postponing their reveals) have been in the interest of protecting the gimmick for when Jon comes back.

• Like 4

and then the very last frame of episode 10 is his eyes springing open, and leave everyone to ponder that for a year.

Really liking this idea. Give em the Lost shot with his eye opening the zombie blue color before slowly turning red or back to its original color. CUT

Well, the funny thing about all the Third Targaryen theories out there, everyone misses what should be an obivious one.

There's a reason Robert became King when Ned had more of a reason rebel against Aerys than Robert did.

All Baratheons have Targaryen blood, Raehgar and Robert were first cousins I believe.

All Baratheons have Targaryen blood, Raehgar and Robert were first cousins I believe.

Yeah, I think Robert/Stannis/Renely are only 2 generations away (their grandmother I believe).  

So what's to say that Stannis isn't the real 3rd Dragon?  Could be the big reason that Melisandre thought he was Azor Ahal reborn, when its probably Jon (reborn of salt and smoke).

Jon Snow spoiler in the spoiler thread!

Kit Harington has signed on for another two seasons, so there's no way he's not pulling an Undertaker in one form or another.

What's the source? a quick google search didn't show anything about it.

I do think that they should save the stabbing for early next season. They don't need the shock of Jon getting "killed" and as some have already said, there's no chance of keeping his return a secret.

Man... so I have been on a GoT high for a week after last week. Fuck... talk about hangovers. 

I don't feel bad for the Stannis lovers because the guy has been a dick the entire time... but WTF? It is hard to cheer for anyone in the Bolton-Stannis war. Time for House Baratheon to end its claim already. They had a good run.