DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I was saying that same thing as all the harpy jabronis encircled our beloved queen. That was hilarious. The closeup of the Drogon looked fantastic and then she got on him and it went downhill in a hurry.

I wasn't so shocked at the burning because it was strongly alluded to as a possibility in the books and you get a better understanding of just how cruel and dispassionate Stannis can be there more so than the show. Why do the unsullied moan about the long take? Violence shouldn't be easy to tolerate, particularly when it's perpetrated against children.

Jon Snow spoiler in the spoiler thread!

Kit Harington has signed on for another two seasons, so there's no way he's not pulling an Undertaker in one form or another.

What's the source? a quick google search didn't show anything about it.

I do think that they should save the stabbing for early next season. They don't need the shock of Jon getting "killed" and as some have already said, there's no chance of keeping his return a secret.

I could have sworn I read it in one of the trillion Vanity Fair articles I read last weekend after watching episode 8. I found the following after a google search:

The Express says he's signed on for next season. The Vanity Fair (I think) article said two, but it's at least something.

I'm with the Unsullied on this.  I'm not giving Weiss and Benioff a pass because "Well George alluded to it could happen" in the books, because the circimstances that happened last night didn't exist in the books.  Its more, they changed something that seemed small, and it ended up a big deal.  There's nothing in book Stannis that would lead me to believe he was capibable of that.  Hell, far as he knew, he had Mance's kid to burn if needed (which is the whole reason for Jon sending Sam to take Aemon and Mance's kid away to Oldtown in the *that* dropped subplot).  And really, if he needed to and Melisandre didn't get in the way, he always had Jon, who obiviously the Night's Watch wouldn't mind Stannis removing.

Drogon's Austin-esque run in was awesome, until they cheaped out and looked like the end of Neverending Story.

I was talking to a friend the other day, they spent 4 seasons doing this series justice in every way, then spend the last season doing the series a great disservice.

The internet is going to explode next week with the Walk of Shame, and not seeing it as a heel getting her comuppance.  And if they pull the Jon gets stabbed trigger, its going to be a bad week. 

Can someone please explain how Greyscale works?

Jorah was all touchy with Dany at the end there. Wouldnt she be infected? Is she imune to that the same way she is to fire?

They will reason Dany not being infected in a number of ways.

1) Dany's dragon blood makes her immune to the disease.

2) Greyscale transmission will be retconned so that it can only be transmitted via touching the infected flesh.  He isn't a risk so long as he covers the surface area of his skin that is scarred and discolored..  If the greyscale covers more of his skin, he will be more infectious.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain how Greyscale works?

Jorah was all touchy with Dany at the end there. Wouldnt she be infected? Is she imune to that the same way she is to fire?

I can't say for sure, but it is implied that some people have an immunity to greyscale, but who the fuck really knows. 

Can someone answer why every single show change seems to run head first into child rape, child murder, or some other terrible thing.  We all know that Meryn Trant is a unlikeable character, but trying to strip Sansa naked and beating her with a sword is not enough, he has to be a pedophile. 

Stannis burning Shireen was horrible, and it didn't seem earned.  If this happens in the books, which I imagine wouldn't be Stannis' decision, I suspect it will be because her greyscale came back.  Stannis is not a sympathetic character, but this makes him look impotent as a leader and it shoots holes into the character his clearly well defined character.  This is a dude who withstood the siege of Storm's End to the point where they had to eat rats, boots and leather book bindings, he isn't going to comprimise until life gets way worse than having to eat some horses.  They've established him as a hard ass who won't comprimise, even when everything goes bad, but at the first inconvienice he decides to burn his daughter to death.  He's a guy people don't like because he's uncomprimising, but they follow him because they know he is just.  This isn't that, burning his daughter to death would take something worse than a couple of tent fires.

So why did Barristan have to die?  The fighting pit scene was good and all, but not as good as if Barristan the fucking bold would have been there to destroy some Harpy dudes.  So who is left to be the leader of the Sons of the Harpy?  Is that even a thing on the show? 

What the fuck was the point of going to Dorne? 

• Like 1

The books say that only survivors of Greyscale are immune to the disease, but they are shunned by society because of their physical disfigurement.  It is magical leprosy.

Stannis is not a sympathetic character, but this makes him look impotent as a leader and it shoots holes into the character his clearly well defined character.  This is a dude who withstood the siege of Storm's End to the point where they had to eat rats, boots and leather book bindings, he isn't going to comprimise until life gets way worse than having to eat some horses.  They've established him as a hard ass who won't comprimise, even when everything goes bad, but at the first inconvienice he decides to burn his daughter to death.  He's a guy people don't like because he's uncomprimising, but they follow him because they know he is just.  This isn't that, burning his daughter to death would take something worse than a couple of tent fires.

Eh, I think it is in character.  For all of his bravado and stern jawed resolve, Stannis is pretty much wrapped around Melisandre's finger.  He will do what she councels him to do because he believes it will put him on the Iron Throne. 

Stannis equates fear with respect and he respects Melisandre because he fears her magic and also fears not having her power of prophecy at his disposal.

I knew when Melisandre first advised that Shireen be sacrificed that it was eventually going to happen.

Stannis is not a sympathetic character, but this makes him look impotent as a leader and it shoots holes into the character his clearly well defined character.  This is a dude who withstood the siege of Storm's End to the point where they had to eat rats, boots and leather book bindings, he isn't going to comprimise until life gets way worse than having to eat some horses.  They've established him as a hard ass who won't comprimise, even when everything goes bad, but at the first inconvienice he decides to burn his daughter to death.  He's a guy people don't like because he's uncomprimising, but they follow him because they know he is just.  This isn't that, burning his daughter to death would take something worse than a couple of tent fires.

Eh, I think it is in character.  For all of his bravado and stern jawed resolve, Stannis is pretty much wrapped around Melisandre's finger.  He will do what she councels him to do because he believes it will put him on the Iron Throne. 

Stannis equates fear with respect and he respects Melisandre because he fears her magic and also fears not having her power of prophecy at his disposal.

I knew when Melisandre first advised that Shireen be sacrificed that it was eventually going to happen.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be the person who would justify burning a child alive, I'm saying he would have to have hit absolute rock bottom for him to do it.  He isn't nearly close enough to the bottom for the character to make that sort of decision.  He has been in worse situations before and not comprimised.  With all the other crazy shit that Stannis has done, you can understand why he did them based on his character.  I don't understand why he did this based on how he has been portrayed so far on the show or in the books.  He gave Renly a chance to give up his crown and join his army, but there was no way he could have won that war, so he had his shadow baby kill him.  He knows first hand that Storms End is damn near impossible to take by force, so he had a shadow baby do it.  This is different, because we know that he has withstood worse without comprimising his character, but all of a sudden he decides to burn his daughter.  I'm not saying he's a good person, I'm saying it takes more than some fires to break his will. 

Personally, i don't even think Stannis would have to hit rock bottom in order to have Shireen sacrificed, but sinking fortunes certainly helped.

As they say, Prayer is the last refuge of a scoundrel and it is no coincidence that Stannis has found his faith again in the Old Gods given recent events concerning his conquest of the North.

Stannis's major achievements have usually come through by way of Melisandre's magic.  He will do what it takes to keep her power on his side.  It also helps that Stannis. like most of the male authority figures we have encountered, really does have a shit family life.   They are the lords of nations but cannot or do not give a crap about their own households. 

He is a worthless father so the decision to sacrifice his daughter to the pyre wasn't that hard.  He is more concerned about how this act will make him look to his men rather than how it will affect his basic humanity.

• Like 1

That's if Brienne doesn't take her shot next week.  I imagine the other half of spiriting Davos away back to the Wall is so that he's there for Jon's stabbing/hearing about the ass kicking everyone took at Hardhome.  Since I also imagine that if Davos makes it there before Jon's stabbed, Jon's going to tell Stannis to fuck off, he needs everything possible to attempt to slow down the Others.

It would be awesome if Stannis' final moments are just him and his army freezing in a field.  

Nah.  The new story line can have Stannis being wiped out by the Walkers only after Ramsay and Roose Bolton are strung up by their entrails at the gates of Winterfell.

It would if we didn't need Melisandre to resurrect Jon.

Now more than ever I believe that Jon will warg or dragon blood his way to survival since we know that Kit has signed on for another two seasons.

My problem with Warging is because he's never shown to be able to do it before, it's going to come off like Weiss and Beinoff pulled another dues ex machina out their ass instead of being a viable solution.  Its going to be just as bad when Ayra suddenly can Warg to get around her blinded test.

My problem with Warging is because he's never shown to be able to do it before, it's going to come off like Weiss and Beinoff pulled another dues ex machina out their ass instead of being a viable solution.  Its going to be just as bad when Ayra suddenly can Warg to get around her blinded test.

Warging or being a dragon born both reek of deus ex machina.   The only way to avoid it is to dump grumpy GRMM's hate of readers all together and write out Jon's shivving.

Pretend like it doesn't happen at all in the books.

At the end of the run, I'd like to see Sansa take over as Regent of the North after Jon shanks Roose and Ramsay Bolton and Brienne finally separates Stannis's frick from his frack to avenge Renly.

No, no one other than Bran has done it in the show, even though the books have Jon and Arya doing it too, just not as much, although it's a huge plot point for Ayra.

I think you still need Jon's "death" because he won't take an out on his oath to the Watch, but if he "dies", his Watch has ended, and he gets freed up to lead the whole danged defense against the Others.

Toss in that *if* the "Rhegar and Lyanna got married too" point sticks, he's a legitimate heir to the Iron Throne, and probably the only one fully deserving thus far.  And most importantly, the only one that *doesn't* want it.