DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I’m guessing that Jon is executed like Ned was, Arya is kidnapped like Sansa was, and Sansa is preparing to do battle with Dany. Giving us a “cycle of violence repeating itself” message. Then right before the big battle between Sansa Vs. Dany, Tyrion basically has an off screen speech about the evils of revenge and blah blah, the screen goes black, and the credits roll. We never see the two remaining armies do battle.

Don’t post here that much and don’t usually complain about tv shows but for the most part they’ve definitely shit the bed this season. 

At this stage I can’t see how we get a satisfying ending, just can’t see it happening. 

Never watched the show but being on the outside looking in at all this nerdrage entitlement bullshit going on on Reddit et al is pretty hilarious. Could you honestly expect anything less in 2019? It's worse than Last Jedi!

My only real hope is that Game of Thrones ends like Blazing Saddles with all the characters running out of the studio and up the street in the present day.

15 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Never watched the show but being on the outside looking in at all this nerdrage entitlement bullshit going on on Reddit et al is pretty hilarious. Could you honestly expect anything less in 2019? It's worse than Last Jedi!

My only real hope is that Game of Thrones ends like Blazing Saddles with all the characters running out of the studio and up the street in the present day.

Honestly, I know it feels like outrageous nerd rage, but that's not how I would describe this.  It is jarring how different this season has been compared to the rest of the show.  It started as a complex, layered story where everything was carefully laid out, but the last season has feels hastily thrown together.  There are too many plot holes, too many character moments that feel unearned, and a bunch of stuff that can only be explained by saying "oh the character just forgot."  There is a difference between nerd rage and pointing out terrible writing.  

• Like 1

I'm not commenting on the show, I have no frame of reference for it, I'm commenting on yet another example of nerd culture throwing their toys out of their pram because the product subverts their expectation or doesn't go how they want it to go. The creators owe you nothing. It's their story to tell. The sooner folk embrace that line of thought wholesale the better.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, I know it feels like outrageous nerd rage, but that's not how I would describe this.  It is jarring how different this season has been compared to the rest of the show.  It started as a complex, layered story where everything was carefully laid out, but the last season has feels hastily thrown together.  There are too many plot holes, too many character moments that feel unearned, and a bunch of stuff that can only be explained by saying "oh the character just forgot."  There is a difference between nerd rage and pointing out terrible writing.  

Do you think that's a bi-product of running out of source material? Or do you think they got the author to bullet point where he was going?

Edited by CreativeControl

Episode was mildly disappointing.  

I expected Dany to go apeshit and burn the city down because her character development has been logically leading up to this episode.  it was a terrifying consistency that I really enjoyed.

I didn't however, expect Arya to wimp out on the precipice of her purpose.  She and the Hound were resoundingly out of character in a bad way.

Arya's has devoted her life to killing the people who have wronged her and when she is on the advent of her greatest getback, the fucking Hound gives her a Very Special Edition of GoT Vengeance Is Bad, M'Kay? PSA as if he were lecturing a small child instead of a grown woman who also happened to be a trained killer.. just like him.

AND SHE FUCKING LISTENS AND DOES WHAT HE ASKS~?  SHE'S BEEN TRAINING FOR THIS MOMENT SINCE SHE WAS A CHILD AND THEN SHE JUST UP AND GOES BACK HOME~??

Yeah, I get it that the whole point was to show that Arya wanted to retain the little bit of innocence she had left and Arya murdering a pregnant woman would not be a good look for her but let's face it, Arya didn't really have any innocence to spare, guys.  Arya isn't a child running around with a wooden sword anymore. 

Arya is all grown up now and has left a trail of shivved and poisoned victims in the wake of her revenge tour for the past three or four seasons now.  The woman who killed the Night King just packed it in and turned around before taking the opportunity to avenge her father's death.  The thing she's been training with single minded purpose to do for what seems like an eternity past.

Lazy, lazy writing.

Hound:  "You don't want to end up like me, do you?"

Me:  DUDE, SHE'S BEEN LIKE YOU FOR THE PAST THREE FUCKING SEASONS~!

Since when is the fucking Hound of all people suddenly concerned about the purity of someone's soul?  If anything, he should've been more like "Just kill her quick and be done with it.  No suffering.  Sure, she's pregnant but she's got it coming so try not to think about the unborn infant when you shank her."

But for the Hound to just beg Arya off from her righteous slaughter?   Unbelievable.

Edited by J.T.

Game of Thrones fans: We want more people to die! You’re not advancing the plot enough!

Also Game of Thrones fans: No! Not dying like that! In a different way, and you’re rushing the plot now!

That is about the gist of it isn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, CreativeControl said:

Game of Thrones fans: We want more people to die! You’re not advancing the plot enough!

Also Game of Thrones fans: No! Not dying like that! In a different way, and you’re rushing the plot now!

That is about the gist of it isn't it?

Nope, not even close. Thanks for the contribution, though.

Edited by Beech27

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Stop being so entitled, @J.T. . Your expectations were subverted. Enjoy it. 

GoT prides itself on expectation subversion and this was not that.

This was some WWE-esque Vince level lazy booking.

Edited by J.T.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

GoT prides itself expectation subversion and this was not that.

This was some WWE-esque Vince level lazy booking.

I kind of disagree with the Arya thing.  It isn't exactly what I wanted, but I can follow the tracks that were laid to get there.  The Hound's relationship with both Arya and Sansa is for them to see the world for what it is and stop thinking everything is a fucking fairy tale.  He's telling her that killing Cersei isn't actually going to make anything better.  Killing Cersei would mean she'd eventually just have to kill someone else, and someone else after that for the rest of time.  If her choice is to get revenge and die or go the fuck home and live, she should choose life.  She still has Winterfell, Sansa, Bran, Jon, and The North, she has something worth living for.  He lived a whole life and at the end only had vengeance, and at that moment he realized that vengeance isn't nearly enough.  He's going to die after living a life of misery and he cares enough about Arya that he tells her don't let that be her life.    

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I kind of disagree with the Arya thing.  It isn't exactly what I wanted, but I can follow the tracks that were laid to get there.  The Hound's relationship with both Arya and Sansa is for them to see the world for what it is and stop thinking everything is a fucking fairy tale.  He's telling her that killing Cersei isn't actually going to make anything better.  Killing Cersei would mean she'd eventually just have to kill someone else, and someone else after that for the rest of time.  If her choice is to get revenge and die or go the fuck home and live, she should choose life.  She still has Winterfell, Sansa, Bran, Jon, and The North, she has something worth living for.  He lived a whole life and at the end only had vengeance, and at that moment he realized that vengeance isn't nearly enough.  He's going to die after living a life of misery and he cares enough about Arya that he tells her don't let that be her life.    

Just because the Hound spews that pablum doesn't mean that Arya has to listen.

Edited by J.T.

Felt a little abrupt to me, but I get what they were going for. I'm all about stories that reward characters for choosing a path other than redemptive violence. 

At the time it felt like it was more about the castle falling down and that Cersei was going to die anyway, so Arya was being silly for being there. The Hound had said earlier that them assassinating Cersei could stop thousands form dying. That ship sailed by the time they got in the building, so Arya should just bounce. It didn't feel like it was a big change in her character - like she gave up being an an assassin or anything. More like she just needed to know when to hold them, when to fold them, and when to walk away into a shit storm of dragon fire and crumbling buildings before riding off on a magical white horse.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Felt a little abrupt to me, but I get what they were going for. I'm all about stories that reward characters for choosing a path other than redemptive violence. 

At the time it felt like it was more about the castle falling down and that Cersei was going to die anyway, so Arya was being silly for being there. The Hound had said earlier that them assassinating Cersei could stop thousands form dying. That ship sailed by the time they got in the building, so Arya should just bounce. It didn't feel like it was a big change in her character - like she gave up being an assassin or anything. More like she just needed to know when to hold them, when to fold them, and when to walk away into a shit storm of dragon fire and crumbling buildings before riding off on a magical white horse.

Looking at it that way makes sense, I suppose.

Arya will probably end up blading Dany anyway.

Cleganebowl was everything I hoped it would be.  The Hound overcame his fear of fire in order to destroy the monster that used to be his brother in the same fiames that consumed King's Landing.

I continue to marvel at the writers' continual creativeness when it comes to using fire as a metaphor for either the destructive power of evil or the cleansing force of good.

Same with ice representing the cold of the grave or the solid strength of the people of the North.

Good shit!  A true Song of Fire & Ice.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

And thanks for playing along, it was a real treat

7599c6f7e211c2007004e967f38b25629dac915a

You know when someone who doesn't like Wrestling finds out you do like it, and they look at you as if you were a confused, simple child and say "You do know it's not real, don't you?"?

That's you, that is. That's what you're like. That's how you treat people with interests beyond your meagre comprehension. Dickhead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just because the Hound spews that pablum doesn't mean that Arya has to listen.

If anything, she should've been all "I'll take that under advisement," and then infiltrated the castle and shivved a few guards before finally getting to hold Needle up against Cersei's gullet.

Then, perhaps it would dawn on Arya that she's about to do the worst thing imaginable in killing a pregnant woman and that Cersei's death would not magically bring her father back to life or allow her to be a happy an innocent child again.

Then she could finish her little Come to Jesus moment and spare Cersei's life wile slinking back into the shadows.

As they say, you can't bring back a lion's soul by spilling the blood of a pig.

I have a bigger issue with Jaime remembering he's pussy whipped just in time for him to die in the most anti-climactic way possible.  How the fuck did that dude leave his big fine for Cersei's evil ass?  Him and Brienne could be all cuddled up, keeping each other warm in the snows of Winterfell.  Seriously, in the entire show, who'd be a better up north cuddle buddy than Brienne?  They are into the same things.  They can be up there training the next generation of world-class warriors by day, and drinking wine and fucking the night away.  Nope, he decided to cuddle in a collapsing cave with Cersei, who is supposedly pregnant but hasn't gained an ounce after multiple trips to and from Winterfell in the winter (according to the internet it would take at least a month or two to march an army that distance...and that didn't take the weather into consideration).  She's at least 5-6 months pregnant, and she's fucking some other dude and binge drinking.  Honestly, why would he leave Brienne for her?  

I say all that to say this...I get why people are upset about the Arya scene, but it's way down on the list of things that don't make sense this season.

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have a bigger issue with Jaime remembering he's pussy whipped just in time for him to die in the most anti-climactic way possible.  How the fuck did that dude leave his big fine for Cersei's evil ass? 

Oh, come on now.  If we have learned anything about the Lannister men it is that. ....

Jaime went back to be with the woman he loved so that she wouldn't spend her final moments alone..

Yeah.... I know that woman was his sister.... ick....

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, come on now.  If we have learned anything about the Lannister men it is that.

Jaime went back to be with the woman he loved so that she wouldn't spend her final moments alone..

Yeah.... I know that woman was his sister.... ick....

I get why a person would do that, I don't understand why Jaime would do that with Cersei after everything that has happened.  Name one thing she's done in the entire series that would inspire that kind of loyalty from Jaime.  

I get why a person would do that, I don't understand why Jaime would do that with Cersei after everything that has happened.  

Because he loved her, dude.

Name one thing she's done in the entire series that would inspire that kind of loyalty from Jaime.  

Love means never having to ask.  It's unconditional. 

Edited by J.T.