DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just because the Hound spews that pablum doesn't mean that Arya has to listen.

If anything, she should've been all "I'll take that under advisement," and then infiltrated the castle and shivved a few guards before finally getting to hold Needle up against Cersei's gullet.

Then, perhaps it would dawn on Arya that she's about to do the worst thing imaginable in killing a pregnant woman and that Cersei's death would not magically bring her father back to life or allow her to be a happy an innocent child again.

Then she could finish her little Come to Jesus moment and spare Cersei's life wile slinking back into the shadows.

As they say, you can't bring back a lion's soul by spilling the blood of a pig.

I have a bigger issue with Jaime remembering he's pussy whipped just in time for him to die in the most anti-climactic way possible.  How the fuck did that dude leave his big fine for Cersei's evil ass?  Him and Brienne could be all cuddled up, keeping each other warm in the snows of Winterfell.  Seriously, in the entire show, who'd be a better up north cuddle buddy than Brienne?  They are into the same things.  They can be up there training the next generation of world-class warriors by day, and drinking wine and fucking the night away.  Nope, he decided to cuddle in a collapsing cave with Cersei, who is supposedly pregnant but hasn't gained an ounce after multiple trips to and from Winterfell in the winter (according to the internet it would take at least a month or two to march an army that distance...and that didn't take the weather into consideration).  She's at least 5-6 months pregnant, and she's fucking some other dude and binge drinking.  Honestly, why would he leave Brienne for her?  

I say all that to say this...I get why people are upset about the Arya scene, but it's way down on the list of things that don't make sense this season.

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have a bigger issue with Jaime remembering he's pussy whipped just in time for him to die in the most anti-climactic way possible.  How the fuck did that dude leave his big fine for Cersei's evil ass? 

Oh, come on now.  If we have learned anything about the Lannister men it is that. ....

Jaime went back to be with the woman he loved so that she wouldn't spend her final moments alone..

Yeah.... I know that woman was his sister.... ick....

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, come on now.  If we have learned anything about the Lannister men it is that.

Jaime went back to be with the woman he loved so that she wouldn't spend her final moments alone..

Yeah.... I know that woman was his sister.... ick....

I get why a person would do that, I don't understand why Jaime would do that with Cersei after everything that has happened.  Name one thing she's done in the entire series that would inspire that kind of loyalty from Jaime.  

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I get why a person would do that, I don't understand why Jaime would do that with Cersei after everything that has happened.  

Because he loved her, dude.

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Name one thing she's done in the entire series that would inspire that kind of loyalty from Jaime.  

Love means never having to ask.  It's unconditional. 

Edited by J.T.

Cersei & Jaime were the inbred Romeo and Juliet of the show.

Star-crossed lovers doomed to die in each other's arms.

It would be sad and tragic if it wasn't an incestuous relationship and if being crushed by tons of falling rock wasn't proper penance for all of the nasty things they've done in their lives. 

If ever two people had it coming, it was Cersei and Jaime.

Westeros is a better place for the deaths of all of the Lannisters save the Dwarf.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not only did he not ask, he refused to take no for an answer. You know, when he raped her in the church, next to their father's corpse. But it's alright because she forgave him.

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not only did he not ask, he refused to take no for an answer. You know, when he raped her in the church, next to their father's corpse. But it's alright because she forgave him.

Because she loved him unconditionally.

I never said that they weren't totally vile people that didn't deserve to die in the ruins of the kingdom that their family stole, but at least I get it that they both understood that they were the only two people in the world who could more than tolerate the other.

If you can find a woman who puts up with at least 51% of your bullshit, put a ring on her finger.

I have to salute Ser Jaime for being honest enough with himself to realize that he'd eventually ruin any relationship with Brienne because he was a hateful son of a bitch and then going back to King's Landing to die with Cersei, the woman he loved and the equally hateful asshole that poked the Mother of Dragons with a stick and got King's Landing reduced to a hill of ashes.

Bravo, Queen Cersei.  Way to rule.  True to fashion, Cersei not only doomed herself, she brought disaster to everyone around her and unfortunately she didn't have Tywin there to be the voice of callous and calculating reason.

Edited by J.T.

Jaime and Cersei's ending is the least satisfying part of this series so far for me.  His entire redemption arc was based on him realizing that his honor is more important than his pride.  Their story isn't a love story.  Jaime legitimately loves her, but her "love" is just emotional manipulation.  She is the only woman he's ever been with, while she cheats on him constantly.   In the books when they think of each other, he thinks about her, she only thinks about the things he can do for her.  He loves her, she loves power.  The entire plot is a waste of time if he just decides his love for her is greater than his own life.  His whole life improved when he stopped trying to be the man his family wants him to be, and be the man he wants to be.  Distancing himself from Cersei is pretty much the #1 thing that helped him realize that he actually cares about his honor.  What is the point of any of that if he just runs back to Cersei as soon as he finds a bit of peace?  I could buy it if he thought it was his responsibility to end this whole saga with his blade.  I could even buy it if he thought he loved her, went back and realized that she is the very personification of evil and let her die.  I don't buy that he'd throw away what seems like a happy life just to die with her.  That doesn't really fit the story that they're telling.

• Like 2

Well one could argue that it does fit the story they're telling if you see them as returning to the roots of the early seasons of the show where the story was various variations of:

1) People will disappoint you

2) Because they are either weak or stupid or psychotic by nature

3) And yes, that means all of them

4) and yes, that means you

5) therefore don't believe in or hope for anything but a quick death

6) But because we are all weak or stupid or psychotic no one will listen to this advice

7) So we will all root for Dany or Jamie or Tyrion and end up miserable when they disappoint us too

• Like 2

The moral of the story is this: If you spend your leisure time getting drunk and shagging prostitutes, you will be a witty, ingenious and responsible person. However, if you then switch to a life of sobriety and voluntary celibacy, you will lose both wit and wisdom in a heartbeat.

Seriously, when was the last time Tyrion said something witty? Season six, maybe?

Guest The Magnificent 7

The lengths people will go to to carry water for these showrunners on stuff like the Jamie / Cersei thing is crazy. 

The Halo legendary difficulty ending with the Elite alien and Sarge embracing while saying hold me as the ship blew up made more sense than this did. 

And one of those was played for laughs.

Cersei is one of the biggest villains ever next to dudes like the government engineer who designed the new gas cans some years back.  

I would have been ok with it being unsatisfying from a just desserts perspective, meaning her dying alone / jumping off the building robbing viewers of justice, but the Jamie arc / comforting aspect was outlandish.  

Edited by The Magnificent 7

I’d say this last episode was a 3 season high point for Tyrion. He tried to make the best out of a bad situation and remained loyal to the one family member who has never let him down.

The 15 shit decisions he made that got us to this point because D&D couldn’t figure a good way to have Dany in Westeros without immediately steamrolling everyone?  Yeah, not great.   To be fair, George is obviously struggling with that as well.

I had zero problems with the Jaime/Cersei ending.  It only rang false because of the speed in which he decided to go back to her after the Brienne stuff (and the very dumb Bronn subplot). Another thing that would have worked much better if those episodes weren’t back to back...

Edited by Jrag

Guest The Magnificent 7

He had to realize at the moment of the exits collapsing that he sentenced his brother to death so he could tell a woman who tried to have him killed that it’s just us babe. 

Or maybe not. Can’t tell with this show. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

Tyrion was dead anyway.  There is no conceivable scenario where letting Jaime go didn’t end with Dany executing him, even if it went perfectly according to plan.

Just another Dumb Sentimental Tyrion move.

I think pretty much everything makes sense but only when you are filling in some gaps that the writers left out to do this in 13 episodes instead of 20. That's why some of it is coming off as rushed because it is rushed. I still think it's pretty good though.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:07 AM, Throat said:

I'm also hoping for Drogon warging. I don't know how the hell else they could stand a chance against Dany, plus it gives Bran something to do.

I'll bet Jon gets sentenced to death and survives the dragon's flames. Although Tyrion would get sentenced too and he's probably flammable...

I don't think Arya will die. I think Sandor's fatherly advice about not being consumed by revenge was meant to set her up to accept that sticking with Gendry ain't such a bad idea. They can work it out. Maybe split your time between being a lady and an assassin. Rule the Stormlands with him on weekdays and kill people on weekends. Just don't be all murder all the time.

Not if you believe the "Tyrion in the Mad King's son" fan theory.

The basic gist is that MK raped Tywin's wife which caused the initial rift in the relationship between MK and Tywin as Hand. In order to 'save face' Tywin lets the baby be born but then kills her so that the secret never gets out. He doesn't hate Tyrion for being a dwarf. He hates him for being a Tragaryen, he just can't let anyone know because it will ruin his family name.

This is meant to be the dark side version of Jon Snow.

14 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Not if you believe the "Tyrion in the Mad King's son" fan theory.

The basic gist is that MK raped Tywin's wife which caused the initial rift in the relationship between MK and Tywin as Hand. In order to 'save face' Tywin lets the baby be born but then kills her so that the secret never gets out. He doesn't hate Tyrion for being a dwarf. He hates him for being a Tragaryen, he just can't let anyone know because it will ruin his family name.

This is meant to be the dark side version of Jon Snow.

I don't believe they'll reveal that so late in the game, or I at least hope they won't, but it's why I said probably flammable.

• Like 1