Super Ape

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

282 posts in this topic

So when I was moving house, I tore my rotator cuff a bit, and I didn't really lift much while it was healing, for like a year and a half. Once I noticed my shoulder was totally pain free throughout the full range of motion, I eased myself back in to the weights.

Now when I wasn't lifting, if I stretched my arms high overhead, my fingertips would brush the ceiling. Now I'm jacked up again, I stretch my arms and and I can touch the ceiling with my knuckles. And I'm not on my tiptoes or wearing thicker socks or anything... I'm guessing it's unlikely my arms are any longer, so is it just broader shoulders translating vertically, or have I somehow straightened my spine or spaced out my vertebrae enough to gain actual height? Because I didn't think that was possible in your 40s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AxB said:

So when I was moving house, I tore my rotator cuff a bit, and I didn't really lift much while it was healing, for like a year and a half. Once I noticed my shoulder was totally pain free throughout the full range of motion, I eased myself back in to the weights.

Now when I wasn't lifting, if I stretched my arms high overhead, my fingertips would brush the ceiling. Now I'm jacked up again, I stretch my arms and and I can touch the ceiling with my knuckles. And I'm not on my tiptoes or wearing thicker socks or anything... I'm guessing it's unlikely my arms are any longer, so is it just broader shoulders translating vertically, or have I somehow straightened my spine or spaced out my vertebrae enough to gain actual height? Because I didn't think that was possible in your 40s.

Your growth plates are long since fused, so your bones aren't gonna lengthen or anything, but some sort of height increase is possible.  I stopped growing at 14.  Then my body decided to put on an inch and a half of height at 37.  We get yearly physicals at work, so I know it didn't change before then.  I've asked several doctors but never did get an explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I stopped growing at 14.  Then my body decided to put on an inch and a half of height at 37.  

I stopped growing at 14, and this is the most hopeful I've felt in years.  I'm about to turn 36, and am eagerly awaiting my late 30s growth spurt.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weighed myself after running 4 miles this morning and my weight was up a pound or two from last week.  I took off my running shoes (really light Sauconys) and my weight dropped by 5 pounds.  I just looked up the shoes and they weight 9.7oz.  So WTF?  

I just accepted my non-shoe-but-wearing-sweaty-running-gear weight as official. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friends, looking for some diet and nutrition advice.

I lift three times a week in a combo of strength (5x5 compound) and isolation (3x8) exercises.

Stupidly I was eating a high protein/low-ish carbs diet to be in a calorie deficit so not much was happening size-wise and I wasn't exactly cutting either. 

Then after doing some reading I found out I needed to be in excess calories instead of below as my body was just eating muscle in lieu of carb and fat fuel.

I figured out I needed to be taking in 2800 calories, with 175 grams of that being protein and the rest made up any way I can. I've been using FatSecret (which is an awful name for an app) to track what I'm taking in but, I'll be honest with you, I'm struggling to eat that much as well as afford to pay for the food.

TLDR: Can I just consume 2800 calories on lifting days rather than every day to give me that energy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CreativeControl, can't help you there, though I admit that I'd find eating 2800 calories a breeze. Shit, there's like 100 calories in a tablespoon of peanut butter, and you can easily fit six tablespoons in a sandwich. 

Unrelated: it has recently come to my attention (not for the first time) that I am awful at push ups. Like, I've been doing them for thirty years but I still can't do many. While my chest probably isn't as strong as it could be, it seems less like it's this particular muscle group and more like it's just this particular exercise. Any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 5:31 AM, CreativeControl said:

Friends, looking for some diet and nutrition advice.

I lift three times a week in a combo of strength (5x5 compound) and isolation (3x8) exercises.

Stupidly I was eating a high protein/low-ish carbs diet to be in a calorie deficit so not much was happening size-wise and I wasn't exactly cutting either. 

Then after doing some reading I found out I needed to be in excess calories instead of below as my body was just eating muscle in lieu of carb and fat fuel.

I figured out I needed to be taking in 2800 calories, with 175 grams of that being protein and the rest made up any way I can. I've been using FatSecret (which is an awful name for an app) to track what I'm taking in but, I'll be honest with you, I'm struggling to eat that much as well as afford to pay for the food.

TLDR: Can I just consume 2800 calories on lifting days rather than every day to give me that energy?

Plenty of folks eat a surplus on weight training days and a deficit on days off/cardio days, but problem is, you're gonna have to up your intake on weightlifting days to make up for the deficit on cardio days or you're wheel spinning. Don't think of it as 2,800 calories a day, think of it as 19,600 a week.

This is assuming you're bulking. If you're trying to gain muscle, you do need to eat at a surplus. You will gain some fat. You can take it off later. Like Control said, you should have no problem putting down 2,800 calories a day. If you do have problems, try protein shakes (though not the weight-gainer ones - they're just protein drinks packed with sugar). As far as affordability, don't know what to tell you there. Chicken breasts are fairly cheap, and so is rice and potatoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now