DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

Can you imagine the number of deaths Samson/Crews would've suffered had they had to go on after the women's match? Triple H: God of Mercy.

Craig, fuck yes to Graves alluding to Dangerous K. Made a great match that much sweeter.

And, absolutely Fight Forever needs to be a thing they use (to death). Or is "fight" not allowed in the PG era?

btw: http://www.tubereplay.com/replay.php?tqr=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPJjZM5zFGuA&Submit=Replay

Edit: Josh, there was no time for a popcorn match. They had to cut one match and it's very likely that the women's match was cut short. Hopefully, this leads to 3 hour specials. 2 hours is too cramped.

Edited by Oyaji

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I just want to say that I love you all. You're all awesome wrestling fans and this was a fucking MONSTER of a show. So many good vibes from this fucking thing. My brain is still scattershot trying to recall the night. There were some GREAT little things in there too, like Graves mentioning MOTHERFUCKING KAWADA~! Holy shit.

And Mauro was talking New Japan by name during the preshow. I LOVE that NXT acknowledges everything that's going on in the world and it helps when you bring in a Nakamura because then you can say look "This fucking guy right here blew away Japan and now he's taking his talents here, you MUST see him"

4 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Speaking only for myself, I don't watch TNA or ROH, so I had never really seen him work. So I was more figuring him out and watching the match rather than having a vested emotional interest in Aries

For reference, find a way to watch Austin Aries vs. Samoa Joe from Final Battle 2004 and then Aries taking the TNA title off Bobby Roode. You will get the hype pretty quickly. He's small, but he has a lot of impact in his moves, and generally fights well from the bottom. 

You know, a part of me wonders if they did the Nerve hold spot speciifically to get over to the people watching at home Corbin's vocal taunting. He seems to be in the Mark Henry school.

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

For reference, find a way to watch Austin Aries vs. Samoa Joe from Final Battle 2004 and then Aries taking the TNA title off Bobby Roode. You will get the hype pretty quickly. He's small, but he has a lot of impact in his moves, and generally fights well from the bottom. 

You know, a part of me wonders if they did the Nerve hold spot speciifically to get over to the people watching at home Corbin's vocal taunting. He seems to be in the Mark Henry school.

I liked what I saw for the most part. He's creative in his move choices and his timing was excellent and made Corbin (who held up his end fine) look like a superstar. 

I liked Corbin-Aries more than other people did, I suspect.

I was fine with the nerve hold in that match. They weren't going for a match with non-stop strikes and action. They needed something to differentiate. Corbin isn't trying to look cool. He's trying to make people HATE him. He's doing a really good job of it with stuff like a nerve hold. He's giving the crowd NOTHING to get behind. And a large part of the crowd wanted to get behind him. He cut that off with stuff like a boring nerve hold and his calling someone "pig boy" or what have you. Corbin has really good power spots, but he doesn't need to go 100 MPH. He needs to just pummel dudes and break out his 2-3 "pop" spots when it's time to go home.

Yeah, I don't give star ratings typically, but I'd give Asuka/Bayley over four stars. That match worked for me for this reason: Bayley had become actually this really confident ace who kept finding ways to overcome the odds. She came into this match and got all fired up, busted out her early flurry of offense like she used on Sasha. Uh uh, didn't work. Used the guillotine that took down Nia. Nope, that didn't work either. Then Asuka got her hands on her and it was all "no tears, only dreams" in an instant. 

Like Dana and Emma said, Asuka is a whole different deal. They worked that thing to perfection, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

Aries will be fine not every match on the show could try to be a 4 star classic. I think the story of the match was obvious in that Corbin took Aries too lightly and paid the price. We'll probably see Corbin with more aggression and less shit talking in the rematch. I loved Aries mouthing "come on MF'er: at Corbin coming back in from the insane Deep 6 on the floor.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Cristobal, strange that you thought the Asuka/Bayley match had more emotion than the main event. Joe was all emotion and Balor showed the most passion I've ever seen from him. Joe was a fucking psychological force in that match. So many nuances and improvisations. Balor's guttural screams were something brand new and completely appropriate.

I meant the emotional investment of the crowd. Joe and Balor both killed it, but NXT's fans are invested in Bayley to tremendous degree. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Asuka is going to hold onto that title for over a year, I bet. In fact, I would put money on that.

I could see her getting screwed out of it by a combined force of heels, and the story of the divsision for a while being Asuka hunting each and every one of them down for sport.

I get that. She was in there with a clearly superior striker, working right after a match where two dudes hit each other until one of them bled and working before a match where...two dudes hit each other until one of them bled. She definitely looked out-of-place and her loose striking was really exposed in that environment. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JCM said:

Aries will be fine not every match on the show could try to be a 4 star classic. I think the story of the match was obvious in that Corbin took Aries too lightly and paid the price. We'll probably see Corbin with more aggression and less shit talking in the rematch. I loved Aries mouthing "come on MF'er: at Corbin coming back in from the insane Deep 6 on the floor.

That did absolutely rule and made the match worthwhile.

I don't want to keep piling on WrestleMania but there might not be a match on the card that is better than AA and Revival.  I could see AJ and Jericho doing it.  Maybe Brock and Ambrose if they are going all out insane. I'm not sure how much time Sasha/Charlotte/Becky will get.

Speaking of good striking, I need to give love to Dash Wilder for the stiff LARIAT-O he gave to Chad Gable outside the ring early in the tag match as well as the nasty European Uppercut he gave to Jason Jordan when Jordan was draped between the ropes. Both of those were nasty and set the tone for what was to come.

10 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I could see her getting screwed out of it by a combined force of heels, and the story of the divsision for a while being Asuka hunting each and every one of them down for sport.

So basically a Kill Bill angle with Asuka going after a championship belt instead of a child? Uh, fuck yes. Let's get some dude who can talk but isn't doing anything in NXT right now to round up five women - Emma, Dana Brooke, Peyton Royce, Nia Jax, and Eva Marie - to beat the shit out of Asuka and take the gold. Book that shit in six months. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Speaking of good striking, I need to give love to Dash Wilder for the stiff LARIAT-O he gave to Chad Gable outside the ring early in the tag match as well as the nasty European Uppercut he gave to Jason Jordan when Jordan was draped between the ropes. Both of those were nasty and set the tone for what was to come.

So basically a Kill Bill angle with Asuka going after a championship belt instead of a child? Uh, fuck yes. Let's get some dude who can talk but isn't doing anything in NXT right now to round up five women - Emma, Dana Brooke, Peyton Royce, Nia Jax, and Eva Marie - to beat the shit out of Asuka and take the gold. Book that shit in six months. 

God, imagine Eva Marie as the champ in this scenario, cowering behind the other 4 who can actually do something.

I want to see where this Ospreay/Sabre Jr. match from EVOLVE lies in the scheme of this show's greatness. We really are spoiled for good shit right now. This year seems to have way more high end stuff than last year, which had a great deal of very good but not quite great.

• Like 1