DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Finn & Joe worked the stoppages in really as they just decided to go 2000% on the restarts

Totally.  It worked really damn well the first few times.  Especially the one right after Joe tossed Finn into the crowd. 

It's started getting out of hand when they just kept trying to touch Joe's face every time he was on the ground.  At one point they were trying to back Joe into a corner when he was going for a pin!  Luckily, Drake realized what was happening and gave the 2 count before they moved him away.

That was probably Joe and Finn's best match in NXT.  Everything on this show was solid to great, but Joe/Finn and Nak/Zayn will be talked about for a while.

1 hour ago, Ramsey said:

So are we all in agreement that we won't see Nak in NXT land anymore? One time deal?

I really have no idea at this point, but I want Nak vs. Joe leading into Nak vs Heel Balor something fierce.  I would not blame Vince for bringing him straight up.

My thoughts:

Tag - Looked good.

Aries/Corbin - Aries works best as a heel and Corbin was going to be the worst wrestler on this show. Nothing was bad about it, but they had to know the crowd wasn't going to be into it and it was going to be that good. Feel bad for Aries as he got overshadowed by Nak. Hope him and Roode bring back their tag team as that's the only way Roode is getting over.

Nak/Zayn - Why was this the 3rd match? Everyone knew this was the main. Proved to be a huge mistake as the crowd was drained after. Match was good. Thought it was neithers best match and wasn't close to 5 stars. Didn't see anything wrong with it just nothing to really go over the top to make it 5 stars. I liked seeing Zayn go into striker mode. Also, Nak's theme doesn't fit him at all.

Asuka/Bayley - Bayley got exposed here. Her offense looked awful, especially with Asuka and Nak. This match was proof that sending her to the main roster would be a kamikaze mission. Crowd was too dead from the Nak match and let's be real, Bayley relies a lot of sympathy, which the crowd was too tired to give. it was going to be a hard one either way as no one will boo Asuka or Bayley and really - Asuka is too far ahead of all of the women. Charlotte/Sasha/Bayley and crew are good workers, especially in the WWE, but Asuka is so much further ahead of them and honestly would have fit better vs Nakamura. Also don't think they can work on the fly like Asuka can. The crowd was not buying submissions all night either which hurt. Asuka was probably the best overall "wrestler" on the show. I also want to talk about how Graves ruined this match with his non-stop talking. It was hard to follow it or feel a part of the crowd. Just shut up and let them go.

Main event - Wasn't super interested in it until the blood....which the WWE put a stop to. Joe was good, Balor looked really good but I'd probably have to watch it again.

Overall thoughts: The show was good overall, though some of the other specials have been better. Nak/Zayn's placement really hurt the show. It should have swapped with Joe/Balor.

Also want to say that NXT is going to have a problem with having too many people. They don't have the time to have Balor, Nakamura, Itami, Joe, Roode, Aries, maybe Ibushi, Corbin plus the rest of the crew as top stars on a one hour show. And as we are seeing, the true developmental guys are getting ignored and blown out of the water.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

No pathetic excuses.

They sighted Kota Ibushi in the crowd apparently along with Bobby Roode.  I hope Ibushi gets the chance to wrestle in NXT before his knees explode.  He already works matches like he really wants to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

The logical guy to bring into NXT to work with Kota is probably Kenny Omega, but that would pretty much hose the Bullet Club.

Its for the Cruiserweight tournament. he is a bit to self-head dropping to give an actual contract to.

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its for the Cruiserweight tournament. he is a bit to self-head dropping to give an actual contract to.

Meltzer just said he's been brought in for more than the tournament, and they have yet to have anyone on TV who they haven't signed. He'll get himself a contract anyway as his style will blow everyone away since he mixes the stiffness and the cool spots.

Have this on while making breakfast and watching again - love that finish in the tag match because Jordan makes the blind tag and takes off like he's on fire out of the camera's view, and then five seconds later he shoots back in for that shoulderblock in the corner. That was cool. 

I don't want Nakamura anywhere near the main roster at this point. Fuck that. I'd rather that he does interviews or promos and stuff on NXT weekly shows and just wrestles at NXT specials. 

Also, I'm sure the Democratic Republic of the Congo is thrilled that Nak is using the capital of their city as the name of his finish, but I'd prefer that we call it the BomaYe. Like, everyone knows what that refers to because of The Game (the rapper, not HHH), and Kinshasa is just a bit too obtuse and doesn't sound as cool. 

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Quoting a quote with a quote.

Meltzer on his radio show tonight said that Ibushi being shown on NXT is an indicator that he has an agreement with WWE/NXT, and he noted it includes "more than" just a spot in the Global Cruiserweight Series like most assumed. He also noted that if Ricochet and Matt Sydal drop the IWGP Jr. Tag Titles next week, then that is a sign that Ricochet will also be a part of the GCS.

They might as well get Ricochet. He's really on the only person not named Okada and the Young Bucks left who they didn't get yet.

They have too many people right now though unless they plan to expand. They can't push Nak, Itami, Aries, Ibushi, Balor, Joe, Roode, Sombra, Ricochet and whoever else without people getting exposed and not looking so big time.

24 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

They might as well get Ricochet. He's really on the only person not named Okada and the Young Bucks left who they didn't get yet.

They have too many people right now though unless they plan to expand. They can't push Nak, Itami, Aries, Ibushi, Balor, Joe, Roode, Sombra, Ricochet and whoever else without people getting exposed and not looking so big time.

Isn't Ricochet pretty tied up in his LU deal? I mean I know that's meaningless if they end up going belly up, but I think WWE has shown interest in him, but his LU contract is pretty lengthy if memory serves...

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Isn't Ricochet pretty tied up in his LU deal? I mean I know that's meaningless if they end up going belly up, but I think WWE has shown interest in him, but his LU contract is pretty lengthy if memory serves...

Rumor on the screet is that he has an opt-out clause after this season.

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He has an opt out after the 3rd season. Which is almost done taping.

I posted awhile back about my brother who is likely the definition of the current "hardcore casual" WWE fan. He knows nothing outside of what they show on RAW and PPVs. He doesn't watch Smackdown. Doesn't watch NXT on a regular basis. Doesn't seek out dirt sheets to get all the bits and pieces and rumors online. He has the Network and watches the PPVs every month and catches the occasional RAW in between. He had no idea who AJ Styles was when he debuted in the Rumble, for example. I asked him if he caught the NXT show last night. He did. These are his thoughts:

"I did watch it last night. I just happen to turn on WWE Network and this was on.
I didn't like either of the tag teams. Not sure why anyone else was so into this match. It wasn't that good, in my opinion. Lots of botched spots, too.
The dude that looks like he is trying to be a tough biker, Baron Corbin?, is horrible. It didn't help that his opponent was about 3 feet tall, either. That guy was not good, either. Quite generic wrestler.
The best match I watched was Sami Zayn and that weird Japanese dude. Is that Japanese guy gay or something? I think that this match should have been in the main event. Seeing as this match seemed to be Sami's last match in NXT. Plus, it was a million times better than the main event.
I liked the women's match. I like whatever that girls name who won the title. She is quite interesting and can really go. Plus she is quite cute, in a weird way. She can change up that wearing underwear on the outside, though.
I do not like either Samoa Joe or Finn Balor. The only thing good about that match was the blood. What was with the chainsaw with Finn Balor? Is that new? That seemed bizarre and out of place and didn't really seem to fit. Took me out of his entrance to where I was laughing at him and I doubt that is what the intention was.
So, I liked two matches."

Just thought it was interesting to get an "outsider's" view of the show and of the wrestlers that so many people online love, but "casuals" have no idea who they are.

14 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

an "outsider's" view of the show and of the wrestlers that so many people online love, but "casuals" have no idea who they are.

15 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Is that Japanese guy gay or something?

I really, REALLY hope that is not representative of anyone except for your brother. Sadly it probably isn't. 

• Like 1