DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

20 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

But we all know that Sami can't win the big one.

Sami-Zayn-And-Adrian-Neville-In-Ring.jpg

Still can't believe they let Sami wear that shirt on TV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - I think there is some... concern... about overshadowing the main card (especially when you see how shitty it is)

I think there's a very good chance that the overall card of Takeover will be better than Mania but the match of the weekend will occur at Mania. The way the three way is promoted, I think they're going to actually give the women time and let them do their thing and they'll end up having the match of the weekend (WWE only as who knows what EVOLVE, ROH, and whoever else is running shows will put out)

Interested in this Sami/Nak match the most.  I've been oddly underwhelmed by Sami's NXT return, but all those matches were taped a few months ago.  It will be interesting to see if he has his legs back under him by now.  Such a make or break weekend for Sami.

I am seriously debating just going dark and watching the show at 3 am when my insomnia kicks in instead of trying to stay awake for the whole thing live

So very old...

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Infinit said:

My one complaint about the card is that it's at 10pm eastern. Because  (a) the eastern time is the most important timezone and everything should programmed and broadcast in our prime time and (b) it's Friday night and I have a social life. 

Otherwise I'm super stoked for Takeover! 

As much as I love hanging with friends on Friday, this might be one of those times where I'd just skip out on that.  That, and they're 40 minutes away.  So either A. We watch with them and try our best to explain everything or B. We just go home whenever and watch it there, sleeping in tomorrow.  Either way this is such a first world problem for those on EST.  And in reality, it's nothing compared to what people have had to do when it airs live in the UK or elewhere.  I'm sure I can live with whatever we end up doing for this.

But enough about that shit, can't believe today's the day!  

• Like 1

I'm so fucking pumped for this!!!! As for my predictions:

• Finn (C) vs Joe: I think Finn wins via help from the Balor Club (see Nak vs Zayn) and Joe feuds with someone else while Corbin eventually beats Finn for the title. It's an awkward time for Finn to drop the belt because then it means he'll lose the rematch as well and that was a real shitty start for Owens on the main roster. Can't see them doing that with Finn too.
  • The Revival (C) vs American Alpha: What I hope happens is that the Revival retains using some kind of trickery, which would lead to American Alpha winning the straps on a big Wednesday NXT 4 weeks down the line and then the rubber match could take place at the next Takeover. Hopefully that will be a televised 2 out of 3 falls match.
  • Bayley (C) vs Asuka: Asuka wins to become the new NXT Women's Champion. Bayley has had a hell of a run, but this is where it ends.
  • Aries vs Corbin: Aries wins and Corbin continues his streak of showing why he's one of the best in NXT and he can hang with anyone. Corbin demolishes Aries post match.
  • Nak vs Zayn: Hell of a match that ends in a DQ when the Balor Club debuts to take out Nak. Zayn then says his goodbyes at the first NXT taping.
  • Crews vs Samson: Samson is such a fucking jobber and I refuse to believe that NXT booking is down on Crews. Although if Crews loses, I have to start thinking Rippa is right. 

I have to get up early tomorrow but screw it I'll probably be up until 3:00 AM talking about the show.

I'll predict Balor retains via Bullet Club

Alpha win the belts

Bayley retains and Asuka snaps after her first loss making her even scarier

Nak wins of course

Aries wins and gets destroyed after the match

Crews over Drifter

The hardest part is trying to figure out who's getting called "up" and who's staying. If they're doing a brand split we could see 4 or 5 people off this card get the call, and if not maybe only one. Cass and Enzo have to be a lock for Raw after Mania, and I think the loser of the main event will be there as well. Balor could even show up with the BC if he wins. Bayley probably should be called up, but I selfishly don't want her to be. Bayley would be the biggest loss for NXT they can't replace her.

My predictions

Joe takes the belt, and I become a happy person.

Dash and Dawson stun the crowd by retaining the tag belts

Asuka defeats Bayley, and Bayley is given a standing ovation with it being expected she's being called up.

Nakamura wins. Duh

Corbin beats Aries, clean as a sheet.

Drifter over Crews.

I'm torn on Bayley/Asuka.  Yes, it is time for Asuka win and it'd make sense.  But Bayley's been built up as this huge face and is so beloved that I just can't root against her.  I'll be a bit sad if/when she loses.  I'm agree with JCM, NXT could ill afford to lose Bayley.  It's going to happen and pretty soon but she's irreplaceable in NXT.  And I can see American Alpha winning the belts.  The rematches can easily happen regardless of winner and it'll be fantastic to watch.

Someone was pondering if they would really flip all three belts on the show

Well when they have decided they will only change titles on Takeover shows (or special shows) - it somewhat becomes necessary

6 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I'm torn on Bayley/Asuka.  Yes, it is time for Asuka win and it'd make sense.  But Bayley's been built up as this huge face and is so beloved that I just can't root against her.  I'll be a bit sad if/when she loses.  I'm agree with JCM, NXT could ill afford to lose Bayley.  It's going to happen and pretty soon but she's irreplaceable in NXT.  And I can see American Alpha winning the belts.  The rematches can easily happen regardless of winner and it'll be fantastic to watch.

I could see Bayley barely squeaking out a victory and have Asuka go ballistic and destroy Bayley, turning her heel and setting up a rematch at the next Takeover where Asuka eventually wins the title.  There really hasn't been any build up to this match so it kind of feels like the first chapter, rather than a blowoff/Bayley's NXT goodbye.

• Like 1

Balor wins via Bullet Club

Asuka wins since Bayley is getting called up and quite frankly Asuka needs that belt more than Bayley.

Revival beat American Alpha continuing their feud with them

Nakamura beats Sami Zayn

Austin Aries beats Corbin

Crews loses to Drifter by pure shenanigans. 

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bayley would also get eaten alive on Raw. I have zero faith in their ability to mine her for what makes her work in NXT.

Bayley's biggest problem on the main roster is Becky Lynch is essentially telling a version of her NXT story on the main roster. Becky is the plucky underdog who always does the right thing and continues to come up short until she finally gets a title shot at the biggest stage in pro-wrestling/sports entertainment

Bayley isn't getting called up right away (where exactly would she fit in at this point?), and I agree with JCM/nofuture.  I picture her narrowly retaining due to some chicanery from one of Nia Jax or Emma/Dana after Asuka looks to have initially secured the victory.  Asuka snaps after the match and attacks Bayley when the latter goes for a post-match hug or something, and also singles out the interloper for revenge.  Boom, you've got an angle for either a rematch or a three-way contest for the title at the next big event.  Bayley remains in the sympathetic face/underdog role even as a successfully-defending champion, Asuka is a scary tweener (who can easily be turned back to face once Bayley is eventually called up), the interfering heel has mad heat for fucking up what until that point was a great contest.

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Someone was pondering if they would really flip all three belts on the show

Well when they have decided they will only change titles on Takeover shows (or special shows) - it somewhat becomes necessary

Didn't the Lucha Dragons, Blake and Murphy and the Revival all win their tag championships on Wednesday shows? My memory on those is foggy, but I seem to recall that's how it went down.

Since the first Takeover, every change of the singles titles has occurred on either a Takeover or another special show (Beast in the East). The tag title changes are split, with the Dragons beating the Ascension on a Takover and the Vaudevillains winning the tag titles from Blake and Murphy in Brooklyn, while B&M and D&D both won on NXT weekly shows.

Yes - to Blake & Murphy and Revival - but even then that is 2 switches of three belts in basically a 2 1/2 year period

(Basically the only other title switch since the Takeovers have started on a non-Takeover show was Balor winning and even then Beast in the East was a special(