DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3A: KEVIN OWENS vs. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDA - KEVIN OWENS vs. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA  

130 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Pretty surprised to see Owens in the lead against last year's winner. I don't watch NJPW, so I can't comment specifically on Nakamura, but Owens... well, he certainly didn't have a BAD year, but I wouldn't have pegged him as a contender to win, and I assumed Nakamura was. Was Nak's 2015/16 noticeably worse than his 2014/15?

Daniel Bryan won 3 years in a row and lost in a year where he was noticeably better than in any of those 3.  I wouldn't rack your brain trying to figure out the voting trends.  Everyone here is an idiot.

• Like 7

Everyone should go watch those videos on the last page.  Owens has so much charisma.  His work is amazing, too.  In a HDTV era, Owens still does every single thing like he's working to the back row of the arena.  If you really like wrestling, that's your vote.

The "Nakamura is SOOO charismatic" talking point is so disingenuous.  Dude goes out there and acts like a goof and gets spotted 50 points because Japan.  He's the Japanese Kenny Omega but in 2016 there are still smart marks who think claiming something from Japan is better will give them cred.

• Like 2

Pretty surprised to see Owens in the lead against last year's winner. I don't watch NJPW, so I can't comment specifically on Nakamura, but Owens... well, he certainly didn't have a BAD year, but I wouldn't have pegged him as a contender to win, and I assumed Nakamura was. Was Nak's 2015/16 noticeably worse than his 2014/15?

Daniel Bryan won 3 years in a row and lost in a year where he was noticeably better than in any of those 3.

Not this tired ol' chestnut again.  It doesn't matter if Bryan was better than the previous three years.

Cesaro was even better.

Everyone should go watch those videos on the last page.  Owens has so much charisma.  His work is amazing, too.  In a HDTV era, Owens still does every single thing like he's working to the back row of the arena.  If you really like wrestling, that's your vote.

The "Nakamura is SOOO charismatic" talking point is so disingenuous.  Dude goes out there and acts like a goof and gets spotted 50 points because Japan.  He's the Japanese Kenny Omega but in 2016 there are still smart marks who think claiming something from Japan is better will give them cred.

I can't help but imagine how much everyone in PWG would laugh at you for talking shit about a popular japanese wrestler.

I love both for different reasons, but both are tremendous in what they do.  I'm a Nakamura fan and enjoyed what I saw of him this past year.  Since I don't watch as much NJPW as I hoped I'll leave the discussion about his work between this period and last to those that watched more of it.  But he has that IT factor that just can't be manufactured or replicated.

There's a ton of great points on Owens in this thread and I agree.  I voted Nak and would hate to see him lose, but if he's going to lose to anybody it might as well be Owens.

Daniel Bryan won 3 years in a row and lost in a year where he was noticeably better than in any of those 3.

Not this tired ol' chestnut again.  It doesn't matter if Bryan was better than the previous three years.

Cesaro was even better.

I always love this argument, as it seems to portray Bryan losing that year as the biggest screwjob in tournament history by using silly logic. Cesaro's year that year would have won any of hte 3 years prior. Honestly, Goldusts would have too. And if the SHIELD was allowed in as a group, the entire tournament would have been screwed.

And the biggest screwjob is still Bryan being gifted it because Henry voters felt he was screwed over by late voters for Punk. Both Punk and Henry would have beat Bryan that year if they faced off in the semis.

• Like 1

I can't help but imagine how much everyone in PWG would laugh at you for talking shit about a popular japanese wrestler.

What a weird, creepy point to try to make.  I'm not in the "wrestlers are my imaginary friends" mindset and, as such, have never considered what someone like Mike Bailey or Joey Ryan would think about my opinion.  Holy shit, I am dumbfounded by whatever it is you're trying to say here.  While we're at it, should I consider what, say, Jonathan Banks would think before I watch Better Call Saul?  Wow.  Just......wow.

Also, I'm not talking shit.  I genuinely don't find Nakamura's schtick entertaining.  If my comments about a certain strain of puroresu fan hit close to home, I'm sorry.

Punk should have arguably won 2 of the 3 years Bryan won.  

Cesaro should never win because he is nowhere near the total package that those dudes are.  Of course some of you only care about between the ropes stuff and will find this blasphemous.  Bret Hart is prob your favorite of all time.  That's not the life I live.

Cesaro should never win because he is nowhere near the total package that those dudes are.  Of course some of you only care about between the ropes stuff and will find this blasphemous.  Bret Hart is prob your favorite of all time.  That's not the life I live.

I love the "People who disagree with me probably think really stupid things" mindset. 

Also, Henry was far better then Punk that year, and him not winning that tournament was a joke. Also, fuck a Bret Hart as a performer, always was overrated as shit.

Cesaro should never win because he is nowhere near the total package that those dudes are. Of course some of you only care about between the ropes stuff and will find this blasphemous. Bret Hart is prob your favorite of all time. That's not the life I live.

Punk sucks, your argument sucks, and you suck.

No offense, just being rude because it's March Madness.

Punk was always garbage, though. The hero of awkward, skinny-fat basement dwellers who needed a scrawny hero to look up to.

March Madness, son!