DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

If you build a pool in your stadium, be glad that swimming or diving in it is all the opposing team does after they win.  Especially with the bad blood between both teams from that skirmish earlier in the season.

Posted Image

"Go work for the field crew" they said.  "You'll see free games" they said.

The amount of butthurt coming out of Arizona because the Dodgers jumped in the pool at Chase Field after clinching the division is ridiculous.

Fuck 'em. I say if they win the Series this year, they rent the pool for the D-Backs home opener and have a bunch of guys there in full Dodger unis hanging out with the trophy floating around on an inner tube.

• Like 1

Andy Pettitte is retiring... again. 

His final start will fittingly be at home for "Mariano Rivera Day"

Not for nothing, but Pettitte's post-playing career will be very interesting.  By all accounts, he is a no questions asked Hall of Famer... but he's in the Mitchell Report.  

Does he get in?   I know the idiocy of this statement, but he may be the cleanest "dirty" player of the steroids era.

By all accounts, he is a no questions asked Hall of Famer... but he's in the Mitchell Report.  

Does he get in?   I know the idiocy of this statement, but he may be the cleanest "dirty" player of the steroids era.

Say what?  Anybody that spends 2 seconds looking at his resume knows he's not a HOF'er.  Pettite has been decent for most of his career, occasionally good, rarely great.  HOF starters should have more than 2 seasons with ERAs under 3.00.  HOF starters should NOT have NINE seasons with ERAs over 4.00.  For all the talk of Pettite being this awesome postseason pitcher, the reality is that he was the same guy in the postseason as the regular season (3.81 ERA) who was worse in the World Series (4.06 ERA) than the rest of the time - though "being the same guy" is a mild positive in his favor, given how some guys shrink up in the spotlight.

An honest evaluation of Pettite's career reveals him to be a guy that piled up a bunch of wins because he was never awful while pitching for teams that had strong offenses and great bullpens.  HOF'ers are supposed to have sustained stretches of greatness.  Pettite never did that.  He really had two great seasons - 1997 and then 2005 when he was roiding.  How much credit do we want to give him for his postseason record?  Do we really think Andy and his 4.06 ERA were better in the World Series than Greg Maddux and his 2.09 ERA?  Maddux is considered something of a stinker in the postseason because of his 11-14 record when the reality is that he was better than Pettite. 

Pettite will probably get in because the voters will give him far too much credit and won't actually look at his career.  But he's definitely NOT a "no questions asked" HOF'er and shouldn't even get in at all. 

From baseball reference:

Black Ink Pitching - 7 (339), Average HOFer ≈ 40 Gray Ink Pitching - 103 (208), Average HOFer ≈ 185 Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 128 (60), Likely HOFer ≈ 100 Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 43 (60), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Note that he's beneath HOF standards in all four areas except the "Monitor" where Pettite gets a gigantic boost from pitching in the postseason every year. 

He was the only (one of the only) to play the "yes, i did it, to heal quicker" card, so no one hassles him.

I have no proof but I am 100% certain he's lying about that explanation and his amount of usage.  First of all, it's worth remembering that Pettite essentially lied when he claimed that the "healing" incident in 2002 was the only time he used HGH.  He also took his father's HGH in 2004 with the circumstances being a little murky as to whether he fraudulently obtained the HGH or not.

The "healing" story has him using HGH in 2002.  His best season came in 2005, after a full season in Houston with Clemens and the roster full of roidheads that the Astros had - and the admitted "other" HGH use.  I suppose it's possible a 33-year old pitcher in the company of roidheads suddenly had his career best season, a full run-and-a-half better than his previous 7, without cheating but I'm skeptical.

I'll give him credit though - "coming clean" the way he did worked a whole lot better for him than the methods other guys tried.

I agree that Petitte was not being truthful about the amount of HGH/PED he did.

But he was smart enough to say exactly the right thing "yes, i did it. To heal and help the team" escpecially in contrast with almost everyone who denied denied denied.

That 9th inning in Pittsburgh could not have more rotten. Nope not going to tie for 1st place with the Cards.  Nope the Brewers aren't going to hold on to the lead to the Cards.  And nope the Nats aren't going to gain any ground in the wild card. Thanks to a terrible Jody Mercer throw to 1st  :angry:

Ah...The Brewers are bringing in Mike Blazek.  Where do I know him from?

That's right...good boy, Michael...good boy...now, back in your box:

Posted Image

It's so good to see how eager everyone is to pitch in tonight.  Including Odessa:

Looks like a night for Piranesi to crow. :(

Posted Image

Thanks to a terrible Jody Mercer throw to 1st  :angry:

If only the throw had actually been to 1st. The only way Mario Morneau would've caught that throw was if he was munching popcorn somewhere in the fourth row.

This season is quickly disintegrating into:

Posted Image

Speaking of A-Rod, does he get any pay bonuses for Grand Slams?

Because he just broke the career grand slams record by hitting a 24th.  Breaking the tie with Lou Gehrig.

Nope - his only bonuses are for moving up the all time list.... thankfully

That being said - he and Soriano are the only reason the Yanks still have a heartbeat in trying to snatch the 2nd Wild Card