DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: HECHICERO vs. BROCK LESNAR

MM16: 2nd RDA - HECHICERO vs. BROCK LESNAR  

98 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

This is closer than I thought.  Read what Matt said a few more times before you vote.

Well - no one REALLY should be voting yet (in any poll) - but some folks are so set in their ways it will never change

That tag match with Guerrero is some of the worst shit I have ever seen.  Like I'm stunned by how horrible it is.  My god. 

Let us start at the start which is how you would do this if you believed in linear time.  Within 15 seconds, Caifan ends up on the apron and Ultimo grabs him by the leg in only what could be charitably called a sweep.  It's more like he grabbed his leg and Caifan laid down on the apron.  Suffice to say, it could barely be called a bump.  Yet it is enough to hold Caifan in stasis as Ultimo runs the ropes to baseball slide into Caifan and shoot him to the floor.  I guess if you like sick bumps, yay? But there is no destination without a journey and the transitions are some of the worst.  You can see this later when the rudos set themselves up for the lifting dropkick from Avisman and end up standing there like morons while the spot comes together over the course of several hours. Perhaps the worst example of these transitional gaffs come from Ultimo hitting a second rope gourdbuster for a 2 count.  Ultimo sits there helpfully as Caifan gets up and puts on a stretch plum while Guerrero reacts with all the emotion of an unconscious frat boy.  Then Caifan turns it into a crucifix for a 2 count in a laughable attempt that shows that hooking both shoulders should not be optional.

You might think that from my description that I am casting most of the blame for this atrocity on Ultimo and Caifan which is fair since they were a travesty.  Avisman was almost a complete nonfactor who was there for 3/4 speed roll up spots.  Hechicero for being 'multidemensional' shows off his ability to lukewarmly brawl and throw some really slow dropkicks that didn't make a lot of contact.  He was the least offensive thing in this match but  this match was offensively bad.  I can't even capture just how bad this thing was.  Turn on any 1 minute span of this encounter and you will be able to find a gaping flaw.  From chop exchanges that should have ended up in a kiss to a blown finish to an elimination that you won't even realize is an elimination until 2 minutes later.

Just a debacle.

• Like 1

Over the last several years, nobody has had a better ratio of great to not great matches than Lesnar.

Granted, nobody else has his situation of months between matches and main events, but still.

The Mania match, the two Taker matches... Hard to top.

• Like 1

Over the last several years, nobody has had a better ratio of great to not great matches than Lesnar.

Granted, nobody else has his situation of months between matches and main events, but still.

The Mania match, the two Taker matches... Hard to top.

One crummy house show match brings his average down just like that.

Arguably, easier to have good matches when you work 4-5 times a year. More rest, ability to plan matches, etc.

As opposed to working 4-5 times a week, criss-crossing the country, often with average or below average partners and opponents.

Yeah and if you add in the above Kofi match which it is what it is the ratio is 3:2

Heck - one could argue it is 3:4 depending on your opinion of the Fastlane match (I am putting the Rollins match in the not great side)

So the moral of this story is yet again Fowler has terrible opinions

• Like 2

Brock is fun to watch sure, but his matches within the time period were mostly underwhelming, the Mania match and the first Taker match (except I hated the finish) were his best work, Fastlane and the Sheamus house show match were good, Kofi match was the kofi match pretty much neutral and Rollins and the HIAC match were at best forgettable. Brock is fun but this was a bad year for him. Plus the Suplex City thing has been run into the ground horribly, maybe next year Brock.

No one even wants to engage on Brock. It's just "Well yeah,  he's big stupid wrestling and causes a bunch of problems for his own matches and the matches on the roster, but he's sure plenty fun to watch." You can't really have a discussion around that.

No one even wants to engage on Brock. It's just "Well yeah,  he's big stupid wrestling and causes a bunch of problems for his own matches and the matches on the roster, but he's sure plenty fun to watch." You can't really have a discussion around that.

At least people are being honest about that

• Like 1

At least people are being honest about that

That's probably why I'm having such a hard time with it.

I had a really strong argument for why Roderick should have beaten Lesnar. I have no argument for this.There are very big holes in Lesnar's game, but I can't throw great match after great match as a counter argument at people like I could with Roderick, so.... yeah, staying out till I watch more of Hechicero.

I'm actually surprised  Brock is winning and by such a large margin. He hasn't been up to his previous levels since Mania and part of that might be that he's more a face/tweener since then rather than giant vicious heel. For me he loses a ton of his aura has a face and his matches are better when he is dominating a face who can work from underneath, like Cena or Roman.

I've made the case for Brock in past years, and he is clearly not having his best, but mostly I'm just voting against Matt D.  Brock is still pretty awesome though.  His year started much stronger than it's finishing, but the WM main event and the next night on Raw were some of my favorite moments of the year.

• Like 1

To be completely honest - I am somewhat in the "Brock is big and stupid but gosh darn it - he is fun to watch"

I think I just want him to be doing it in meaningful ways - matches with Bray Wyatt and Ambrose do nothing for me

And I love the fuck out of the Mania Main - problem is that I think that is because people don't even come close to remotely giving Roman Reigns enough credit for it.

So yeah... we shall see how this goes.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised Brock is winning and by such a large margin. He hasn't been up to his previous levels since Mania and part of that might be that he's more a face/tweener since then rather than giant vicious heel. For me he loses a ton of his aura has a face and his matches are better when he is dominating a face who can work from underneath, like Cena or Roman.

Im surprised he isnt winning by more. If it ends up 66-33%, i take it as a pyrrhic victory.

I didn't think much of the Kofi match but the match with Roman Reigns is quite possibly my MOTY and that has to count for something. Throw in a couple entertaining matches with Taker and you are on your way to a pretty good year. How far should Brock go?  That's another story.

• Like 1