DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: RODERICK STRONG vs. HECHICERO

RIPPA

MM16: 1st RD - RODERICK STRONG vs. HECHICERO  

97 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

You know how to vote

I am going to be a little less subtle this time

You know the more you post this - the more folks are going to go in the opposite direction... right?

Roddy's had some really good matches in the voting period but he's still got the charisma of a grain of sand.  His moves and spots in matches always seem to be a message being sent to me about how awesome he is and it never works.

Meanwhile that five star with Hechicero and Rush is balls to the walls. Hechicero is fucking awesome and mother fuckers need to watch more lucha.

Roddy is really good at making me want to see everyone they put against him for the PWG title win instead of him, so I'll give him that, but I really didn't like him as a face either.  I like how someone makes TEN MILLION BACKBREAKER VARIANTS a gimmick opposed to the 2000 people using suplexes as their gimmick like that, but it makes me miss El Samurai and his ten million DDT variant style.

I'm the first guy who will say that Strong's work against guys like Thatcher was good, but I've got to vote along party lines here.

I actually think Hechicero, who was already good, has come a long way in the last year too. He's working in more of the conjuring hand-movements and character work which adds a lot. I thought it really helped him get over in Japan. 

Everybody, who complained about Seth Rollins being a shitty heel champion should vote for Roddy here.

He's the perfect little chickenshit heel champ you just want to see get beaten.

I can't agree with the "no charisma" talking point either. He's not much of a promo guy, agreed, but he just exudes arrogance, when he's in the ring.

When he went up against Ishii, unlike Makabe, Shibata and everyone else he didn't try a slap battle with Ishii to see who lasts longer, he actually ran away from his chops.

Everybody, who complained about Seth Rollins being a shitty heel champion should vote for Roddy here.

He's the perfect little chickenshit heel champ you just want to see get beaten.

I can't agree with the "no charisma" talking point either. He's not much of a promo guy, agreed, but he just exudes arrogance, when he's in the ring.

When he went up against Ishii, unlike Makabe, Shibata and everyone else he didn't try a slap battle with Ishii to see who lasts longer, he actually ran away from his chops.

Isn't he a face in ROH though? I thought it was really strange that he'd suddenly start working heel, especially when the crowd wasn't buying it one bit.

It's also important to keep in mind Hechicero's range. People are saying that Strong was weaker when not doing the chickenshit heel thing. Hechicero worked tecnico in the Rush match, for instance, and he has a few more maestro style mat-heavy matches, on top of his CMLL straight up rudo work.

Yeah but my point about how he worked vs. Ishii still stands.

He definitely worked the Ishii match as a heel. I don't actually watch weekly ROH enough to know, if he's usually a face there or not.

Apropos of nothing here but the best thing I saw Strong involved in was the PWG fans chanting "shitty little boots" at him, then one boot came off and they chanted "shitty little socks."

Then the sock came off and they chanted "shitty little feet."

Seen Strong live a few times in Progress, plus the Ishii match and BOLA. He's great on several levels now and nowhere near as bland as he used to be, but I'm going to go watch some Hechichero now, what I saw of him for last year's MM was excellent.

Apropos of nothing here but the best thing I saw Strong involved in was the PWG fans chanting "shitty little boots" at him, then one boot came off and they chanted "shitty little socks."

And people think Full Sail gets too cutesy.

I love Hechicero, but I actually see no case for him which I can't believe I'm saying because before last year I didn't care about Roddy at all.  I just feel like Strong had very good and great matches against way too many people, while Hechicero was lost in the shuffle.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Strong was a top five guy last year.  Not sure where I'd have Hechicero but it wouldn't be near that level.  And I love the guy.

• Like 1

And people think Full Sail gets too cutesy.

Yeah dude shame on those fans for enjoying themselves

So, I've watched six Hechicero matches before voting. He is tremendous and I love everything he does. Even then, none of the matches I watched are what I would call fantastic or high end caliber, whereas Wodewick was in that territory for long stretches of the year, admittedly in part because of great opposition. But he brought it and won me over pretty quickly. I went from rolling my eyes at Roderick to firmly believing he had one of the best years out of anybody wrestling in New Japan/PWG/Lucha Underground/WWE/ROH. I have to go with him, though I love Hechicero.

One thing I found was that Hechicero panders to the audience too much for my liking. For example, there was a moment in the Rush match where he had Rush down, played to the audience for 10 or so seconds and then it looked like he remembered he was in a match and rushed for the pinfall attempt. Small gripe.

If you had told me a year ago that these guys would have a first round March Madness match up, and I would think one of the guys was being robbed, I wouldn't have imagined it would be Hechicero that was the one I thought was committing larceny.  We live in crazy times friends.