DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For FEB 10 (Taped 1/22)

RIPPA

Graves' commentary ("Someone matching his description has been seen standing at the jukebox at Mario's playing Nickelback on his guitar.") is the best thing about the character.

It was a great burn, but it does leave me wondering what's the point in the gimmick other than helping to get over Corey Graves' 'hipper than thou (but not a hipster, honest)' gimmick over and maybe having a guitar to elkabong people with. 

I think the Graves thing is less him trying to get over and more trying to give people a reason to get behind the hatred of a character.  He attacked Becky during the 'Metal Head' days as being a Hot Topic  'wear the band's shirt to the show' type.  Because let's face it, do we hate metal heads?  No.  Do we hate inauthentic people?  That's more in the ballpark.  Do we hate Drifters?  Hell, do we know any drifters?  The character has no depth in that regard.  Now, attempt to make the case that he is a Drifter in name only who is leaching off the archetype?  Keep in mind, Graves went on to put over how Sampson was being more viscous and nasty (which the character needed to do) and it becomes a net victory for the character.  Plus the performance now brings to mind more the mysterious stranger who rolls into town and starts fights for no reason other than mental instability.

• Like 1

For the people who say Alexa isn't over, and doubt her ability to get over on the main roster I think this crowd was a pretty good indicator she's going to get over. Hot blonde with attitude and a fine booty = over on the MR.

I don't know any drifters, unless the couple friends I had that moved to California and slept on people's/friend's porches count. I'm not sure where the line is between drifter and homeless...

That was also sarcasm...

In any event, Sampson has a good solid look, isn't abjectly terrible in the ring, but he's saddled with this lame ass gimmick. At this right, being Sandow's stunt double would be an upgrade for the guy. I would actually totally dig a tag team of Sandow and Sampson, where the refs are always confused about who is who. Silly shit like that seems up Sandow's alley at least. Someone else mentioned how he looked like Randy Savage and there could be something there too. Instead he's a drifter who can't El Kabong anyone with the guitar because of the no headshots policy.

Plus, I can't hear his name without thinking of:

"Ok, tiramisu" = Best part of the show

Actually, the main event was quite good too. Most of the credit has to go to Bayley, but Carmella did execute better than normal and they did a good job working in what appeared to be legit nervousness (because I've never seen her act that well) on her part. The structure was good with Bayley not eating too much offense until the brand new tope which would definitely catch someone off guard. Reminded me of the first time Sasha busted it out at R-Evolution. Bayley also won without having to hit any big moves. Much like Balor/Crews last week, both wrestlers come out looking better when they work within their rank. Whoever is behind Bayley winning with multiple finishes is a genius and is setting her up for some real epics down the line. The post-match stuff got great heat, and there isn't a match in WWE I've been anticipating more than Bayley/Asuka.

Why was Cameron wearing a clown tie as part of her outfit?

Lol that's been a part of her look for a while. She initially wore plaid skirts so I assumed she was going for a naughty school girl take. Shrugs

For the people who say Alexa isn't over, and doubt her ability to get over on the main roster I think this crowd was a pretty good indicator she's going to get over. Hot blonde with attitude and a fine booty = over on the MR.

I think the reaction had more to do with anti-Cameron sentiment lol But I agree that Bliss will be fine once she gets to the main roster. Hopefully they don't water her down too much.

I wondered where they found Vanilla Midgets 2.0 when the name Corey Hollis clicked. Saw him wrestle Dalton Castle at the ROH show here in Atlanta last month.

I've not seen anything of Gargano outside of NXT but am I crazy thinking that he would be a better heel?

Gargano is much better as a heel. I enjoyed him in Chikara as part of Team FIST with Icarus and Chuck Taylor.

Did anyone explain the Blake, Murphy & Alexa's Freddy Kruger cosplay?  Was it a belated Wes Craven tribute?

Alexa is wearing those Freddy hand ring things. Maybe it has something to do with that. Plus She and Blake (or is it Murphy...which ever one was dressed like her) are a thing.

Did anyone explain the Blake, Murphy & Alexa's Freddy Kruger cosplay?  Was it a belated Wes Craven tribute?

Alexa is wearing those Freddy hand ring things. Maybe it has something to do with that. Plus She and Blake (or is it Murphy...which ever one was dressed like her) are a thing.

I actually think the Australian one is her guy, not the one that was dressed up like a broke ass sorority girl.

American Alpha and Enzo & Cass together is just unfair for everyone else.

Something else that occurred to me was that I think it's impossible for Apollo Crews to not smile. Dude has the smiliest face ever.

Oh jebus.... Sara Lee and Crews.

BTW, for those commenting on Graves ripping on this drifter guy, I think y'all forget that he's done the exact same thing with Becky Lynch and someone else too if I'm not mistaken. 

Bull Fit was another thing Graves loved to rip on. He's got a great way of ripping on people too; he'll burn them deep then offhandedly point out a positive aspect.