DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

20 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Dixie should go on Shark Tank to find some more investors.

Dixie: The company has a valuation of $100 million. All I'm looking for is someone to purchase a ten percent stake for $10 million in unmarked bills I need by Friday or the giant nazi twins will kill me.

Fubu guy: The valuation seems high. I'm out.

Real estate guru: Nazi twins trying to kill you and a valuation that high? Sounds risky. I'm out.

Marketing whiz: With a few tweaks we could make AJ Styles and Samoa Joe into household names. What's that Dixie? Did you say something? 

So the tapings are in the can and it's time to return back to your lives people. Meet back here at the end November for TNA Deathwatch #94 with updates from Rippa.

The long lasting legacy of TNA will be "hey, remember all those times we were waiting for TNA to die but it wouldn't? that sure was something".

• Like 1

BTW - this humored me

The WON update yesterday briefly had a blurb that the rumor was that Bill Simmons was the one who funded the TNA tapings. It has since been deleted from their update so I am assuming it was Dave or Alvarez believing like an anonymous tip on Reddit but yeah that made me giggle

Just now, Mike Zeidler said:

I don't know who Justin LaBar is, but he's rumbling that WWE bought the tape library and Corgan is rebranding and keeping the roster/timeslot.

Dammit Mike I am creating a separate thread

And LaBar is a fairly good source re: wrestling scoops

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

When I read about Dixie saying she wouldn't let that happen, the first thought that popped into my head was, "TNA is dead, she's selling the library to WWE."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Both Panda and TNA are private companies, so it's unlikely we'll ever get a PnL on it.  I'd be real interested in that though.

I guess that means we pray for some sort of lawsuit then right? I'm sure Hogan's got a beef about something.

Due to the hurricane - TNA is going to tape tonight, once tomorrow afternoon and twice on Saturday (nothing of Friday)

So I am sure there will be dozens and dozens of people there

One interesting little fact that Meltzer said on the radio show that (at least I) never knew.

TNA was paying Sting $500K a year each time he kept renewing those one year deals.

Relative to what Sting would make anywhere else besides WWE or TNA and given how easy the schedule was I'm sure that was a good deal to him. He might make that or more with various bookings and signings but it would be more hassle. I'm curious what Flair or Hogan made. Both wrestled considerably less than Sting, but Hogan was valuable when Dixie would negotiate with Spike. 

It'll be interesting to watch what happens if Corgan takes over - they'll probably try to shed anything vaguely resembling a big contract (I'd think) and become kinda like ROH, leaner and meaner. Wonder if they can shed those pre-taped pay-per-views, and wonder how many buys those actually get?

On 10/2/2016 at 6:18 PM, joseph2112 said:

Not sure what the blank quote is from...

But anyways, I wonder how much longer Shop TNA will last.  Should I hurry up and buy all those autographed 8x10s of SoCal Val that I've been putting off, and do I get free gum when I do?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

One interesting little fact that Meltzer said on the radio show that (at least I) never knew.

TNA was paying Sting $500K a year each time he kept renewing those one year deals.

Sting might have made the most money in wrestling history for doing so little. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Due to the hurricane - TNA is going to tape tonight, once tomorrow afternoon and twice on Saturday (nothing of Friday)

So I am sure there will be dozens and dozens of people there

A shame with the rumors about the sale going:

If we assume the sale goes through of the tape library, then there's the question of whether WWE would own "this taping spree or not."

Due to the hurricane (and especially if it's bad enough to also cancel Saturday/Sunday's tapings), there'd be the question again- is the new one a "new taping spree" (so Corgan could claim he owns those matches), or the same taping spree (when WWE could claim they own it too?

...and then if that's the case, then we have the thing to trump all other 2016 wrestling news possible: With how TNA tapes their shows, we'd be in range for "a TNA One Night Only Pay-Per-View where Vince McMahon owns the rights to some of the PPV, and Billy Corgan owns the rights to other matches on the same PPV."

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So he was making $500K a year from TNA?  Or he was getting some sort of $500K signing bonus for re-upping?

I'm assuming it's the former - the idea of cash-starved TNA paying anyone half a mil to re-sign makes me giggle - but, yeah, that's not an insane amount for someone with Sting's name value.