DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

16 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Quite a few of my teammates have tried and it's been an absolute nightmare, I don't know anyone who has been successful. The prices are so ridiculous to begin with let alone how high they are going on the secondary market already. I'll just watch it either at home or with the team somewhere.

Yeah, same here. Its pretty disgraceful / bush league how its playing out. Fight club members got nothing; I do not know of anyone who got anything reasonable through the newsletter pre-sale today. TicketMaster was effectively crashing. Meanwhile there's now literally hundreds of tickets on secondary market websites at 3 - 4x the already inflated prices. $800 for the very back of MSG. Hoping they've held a fair amount back for the general public sale tomorrow, but expecting nothing.

EDIT: Eventually got through on TM around 7 PM ET last night .. got tickets in a category that were not showing for several hours earlier in the day .. so advice to those trying to scoop some later today is keep checking TM throughout the day even if its looking sold out in a certain category at 10 AM ET. At this point it looks like you can add 25%/30% at least to the face value of any ticket by the time November comes & they're on the secondary market.

If it's not, they found a guy who looks just like him. He was still with WWE when this was shot, wasn't he? Would explain the face blurring.

• Like 1

Giovani Decker is already out as the UFC Brazil SVP/GM. 

I also heard that over the next 2-3 weeks, there will probably be changeover in the Vegas office. Some people aren't happy about how the sale went down and how the news was reported to them prior to the sale. Not sure if the Decker news and this are related, but it might be.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

According to reports, the man found dead in the apartment is rumored to be his good friend and local Florida ring announcer Troy Kirkingburg.

I've heard rumors it maybe drug related. Not sure, nor do I care if it was or not, it's just sad either way.

I like Samman and hope he pulls through. I saw him at an FFC event in Orlando over a year ago with Clint Hester and they seemed like good guys.

I know he also runs an amateur MMA organization in Florida too.

Anyway, have you or anyone else on here seen the latest RIZIN event or any fights from it? I know it's not something that appeals to everyone and most of the fighters aren't elite UFC level fighters, but the show was very entertaining as the norm big JMMA show. They also had some decent prospects such as Murata, Bajor, Aliakbari, Albrektsson, Prochazka, Erson, RENA and Kron. I think Aukstuolis still has potential to turn into a decent fighter.

I was able to see some clips the next morning, but I intend to watch a good portion of the card when I get time. Probably sometime tomorrow if I can squeeze it in before the UFC show since that starts a bit late.

i enjoyed the RIZIN show. most of the guys in the tournament were new to me, so i had little to no expectations, but i was definitely entertained for the entirety.

i don't get the appeal with Gabi Garcia. her match at the first RIZIN show last new year's was just atrocious. this was better, but the girl she fought looked to have zero experience on the ground. i've already seen people calling for Gabi to be brought into the UFC, and i'm just over here shaking my head.

perhaps i missed it, but who is the 16th entrant into the Grand Prix? they had six first round fights, and Wanderlei gets a bye. there's still room for one more person to get a bye into the second round but i didn't hear any sort of announcement about it.

Gabi mostly appeals to the local fans as she's a giant.

The 16th entrant in the tournament hasn't been revealed yet.

I also forgot to mention Erson is another quality prospect. He brings that KID flair and appeal.

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't been on this side of the board in a minute so I have to ask: why in the living fuck is Inside MMA getting cancelled?! Did Mark Cuban lose a very serious bet or something? C'mon... nine goddamn years...

Apparently not enough ratings.  Then again, I have no idea what the ratings for AXS TV are, and I can never find them anywhere.  

Ron Kruck said something about this being a loss for serious, transparent journalism about a sport (not his exact words, but that's what I gathered from it) on television in the face of Tweets and the Internet in general and I think that's what it sums up to. Inside MMA was the Sportscenter or even 60 Minutes for mixed martial arts and now people cut their cables, are too busy on their phones, or maybe Cuban didn't decide to do a live stream every week. It sucks because now all they've got on AXSTV is New Japan, Dan Rather, and a bunch of musical fodder which is either great or awful depending on your taste. 

RIP Inside MMA. Godspeed and party on

EDIT: None of it really makes any sense if it's about ratings. How many people are actually watching Legacy or RFA or any of the other indie promotions they cover, yet they're not cut but Inside MMA (which features legendary performers and has hailed the rise of numerous soon-to-be legends) gets the axe? 

The new Legacy Fighting Alliance is also getting another hour adding to the normal broadcast. I'm guessing CES and Lion Fights will still be around 2-2 1/2 hours. However, NJPW will come on earlier to accommodate that. Inside MMA was probably a casualty of that.

So I just watched my first Pancrase match in probably 15 years. The 'open scoring' is really interesting, where they announce after each round who the judges gave the round to. I like it, but I can see why promotions/fighters may not as if someone is up by two rounds going into the final round and knows it they have no motivation to try to go for the win. Interesting concept though.

They tried open scoring in boxing once, and it was even worse. They'd announce the scorecards after the 3rd, 6th and 9th rounds (iirc; might have been 4th & 8th). And when the fighter who was winning knew for a fact he had an insurmountable lead, he started coasting like a glass bottomed boat loving bitch. While the guy who knew he needed a KO starting winging wild haymakers from a mile away and nothing else. The fans hated it.

58 minutes ago, AxB said:

They tried open scoring in boxing once, and it was even worse. They'd announce the scorecards after the 3rd, 6th and 9th rounds (iirc; might have been 4th & 8th). And when the fighter who was winning knew for a fact he had an insurmountable lead, he started coasting like a glass bottomed boat loving bitch. While the guy who knew he needed a KO starting winging wild haymakers from a mile away and nothing else. The fans hated it.

Open scoring goes back like 30 years in boxing though. WBC has been using it the most recently the last 3 years or so, but they first approved it back in 2006. It's more prevalent in Mexico and Asia nowadays for some of their title fights, but it's still around. For the fights I've seen, it really hasn't changed the outcome of the fights that radically.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Open scoring goes back like 30 years in boxing though. WBC has been using it the most recently the last 3 years or so, but they first approved it back in 2006. It's more prevalent in Mexico and Asia nowadays for some of their title fights, but it's still around. For the fights I've seen, it really hasn't changed the outcome of the fights that radically.

I admittedly only watched one of the Pancrase fights but it didn't matter too much in it, the fighter behind 2-0 tried a bit harder but otherwise it looked about the same. Still an interesting concept.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I admittedly only watched one of the Pancrase fights but it didn't matter too much in it, the fighter behind 2-0 tried a bit harder but otherwise it looked about the same. Still an interesting concept.

You would think the Olympic boxing experiment with opening scoring last month would be fairly indicative of what would happen in MMA since it is three rounds. However, it was more of a mixed bag because the corruption was so deep. The only time the open scoring was a negative was in fights where the fix was obviously in. In the third round, down 2-0, fighters just didn't fight the same way as they did in the prior two rounds. It was as if they were discouraged. In the non-corrupt bouts, it was the same way as in MMA when fighters believe/know they are down two rounds and need a finish. It didn't really harm the quality of the bout at all because the boxer who had won the first two rounds usually was the more effective counter puncher. So the third round was basically more of the same. The bouts where it was truely split one round apiece is where you usually got really good final rounds.

So what I basically took away from it is that open scoring is a tool to determine whether you want your shitty judging upfront or do you want to be surprised. If the judging is fair and balanced, then ideally there won't be any controversy.