DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Ronda Rousey will return to challenge for the Bantamweight Championship at UFC 207 on December 30.

What's she been doing with her thirteen months off? Because she used to be so outspoken about women who don't do things.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

What's she been doing with her thirteen months off? Because she used to be so outspoken about women who don't do things.

Hunting with Travis Browne and doing conferences about empowering women.

Whenever that first 207 presser is (probably the week of UFC 205 at MSG theater), I'm safely guessing we're going to get a ton of strange questions that people have saved up in the ten months she has been off the radar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Whenever that first 207 presser is (probably the week of UFC 205 at MSG theater), I'm safely guessing we're going to get a ton of strange questions that people have saved up in the ten months she has been off the radar.

Still annoyed that Marc Raimondi had to start a conference call once by asking her about Travis Browne saying she's his woman. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey for the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship at UFC 207. First Ronda has fought since losing her title and her undefeated record to Holly Holm getting KTFO at UFC 193. Nunes' first title defense.

UFC 205 and 207 will get large PPV buys as each will have two of the biggest UFC draws ever, Conor McGregor at the former and Rowdy on the latter.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

UFC 205 and 207 will get large PPV buys as each will have two of the biggest UFC draws ever, Conor McGregor at the former and Rowdy on the latter.

Lesnar was a bigger draw than Ronda.

Between Conor, Lesnar, and McGregor, I think you have three unique draws. Keep in mind, Lesnar fought when that hardcore base was a bit bigger. With Ronda, when she does fight, she is able to bring those fans back plus casual fans. 

For some reason, I feel Nunes vs. Rousey on a Friday will do bigger business with Rousey coming off a bad loss than Lesnar vs. Overeem being on Friday with Lesnar coming off a bad loss. What's crazy is that I can see a pattern leading up to 207 like there was for 141 where people were kinda questioning the state Lesnar was in heading into the Overeem fight. In addition, people legit saw Overeem as this destroyer coming into the UFC. Now, you have this ridiculous talk that Rousey probably wouldn't able to earn her way back to the title like she didn't crush the last three women who beat Amanda Nunes. I believe the Lesnar pessimism was more off putting for fans who would normally pay to see Brock fight than that PPV happening on a Friday. For this one, I think this will turn more into curiosity and that's going to help the overall business. I think people know Amanda Nunes is a good fighter, but I think the only ones who believe Ronda is going to get beat up are the hardcore fans who resent Rousey and/or Tarverdyan.

• Like 1

If Ronda Rousey beats Amanda Nunes to win back the UFC Bantamweight Championship, Rousey vs. Holm II will still do the business even though Holly has dropped two fights since. Fight promotes itself, Rousey wants to avenge the title loss and losing the 0 in the loss column to Holm. You can say Holly shouldn't fight for the title as she's lost the aforementioned two fights. However look at Hendo, he got a UFC Middleweight Title shot against Bisping recently as Bisping was KTFO by him at UFC 100. Title or no title, be good to see Holm vs. Rousey II.

8 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

GSP just said on Helwani's show that his UFC contract has been terminated and that he's now a free agent. 

I'm safely guessing this was the announcement that was suppose to happen last week.

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

My understanding is that he wanted his contract to make up for the lost sponsorships. And an exemption from wearing Reebok, as it would violate one of them.