DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Horrible news about Samman.  To be honest when I read the circumstances, I'm not sure what to think.  It sounds like maybe there was something with drugs?  But the reports won't anything.

Don't quote me on any of this, but I recall Samman tragically lost his girlfriend some years back.  I wonder if that could've had anything to do with his mental state.  Besides the stress of being a MMA fighter.

EDIT

ok, MMAjunkie is reporting police suspected a drug overdose.

52 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Horrible news about Samman.  To be honest when I read the circumstances, I'm not sure what to think.  It sounds like maybe there was something with drugs?  But the reports won't anything.

Don't quote me on any of this, but I recall Samman tragically lost his girlfriend some years back.  I wonder if that could've had anything to do with his mental state.  Besides the stress of being a MMA fighter.

EDIT

ok, MMAjunkie is reporting police suspected a drug overdose.

Yeah, he covered all that in his memoir "The Housekeeper: Love, Death, and Prizefighting".

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if you've heard about what the president of the Philippines has said about how to punish drug users, but I don't think you should do anything that involves drug testing in Manila.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know if you've heard about what the president of the Philippines has said about how to punish drug users, but I don't think you should do anything that involves drug testing in Manila.

Apparently, they did send an internal memo to fighters (and I'm guessing staff as well) to not have drugs in their system or on their persons when they arrived. This was all of three days ago.

Not sure about other fighters but Marcin Tybura was already there in Manila.

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That kid is going to be a star.  Northcutt is extremely talented, but he has a lot to learn about how to use his skills in concert.  Gall, seems to be the exact opposite.  Gall knows what he wants to do, and exactly how to use his skills to put himself in the best possible position.  Northcutt is someone who doesn't have a plan, and even if he did he'd have no idea how to implement it.  He is someone who wins his fights based on the fact that he is a fantastic athlete, but gets into trouble whenever he can't just run over his opponent.  I don't think he'll be able to run over Gall.  I think Gall beats him fairly easily. 

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That kid is going to be a star.  Northcutt is extremely talented, but he has a lot to learn about how to use his skills in concert.  Gall, seems to be the exact opposite.  Gall knows what he wants to do, and exactly how to use his skills to put himself in the best possible position.  Northcutt is someone who doesn't have a plan, and even if he did he'd have no idea how to implement it.  He is someone who wins his fights based on the fact that he is a fantastic athlete, but gets into trouble whenever he can't just run over his opponent.  I don't think he'll be able to run over Gall.  I think Gall beats him fairly easily. 

And I think that's what the UFC expects. I think the UFC knows that unless Northcutt makes significant strides in terms of improvement, it's going to be harder to showcase him. Hence, why they chose to stick him on the other side of the showcase bout. Maybe it turns out like Johnny Case vs. Jake Matthews where the perceived better prospect doesn't win. On the other hand, it could look like Kevin Lee vs. Jake Matthews and just show that there are indeed levels to this prospect thing. It also doesn't help that he is at welterweight and even the gritty, lower card welterweights have decent strength for the weight class. If you can't put Enrique Marin in the hurt locker, it's going to be tough to be competitive with someone who already has shown himself to be a really good and more than capable grappler.

I think having Maynard onboard now will probably help Sage for the future since he did discover the guy, but I am not sure how much Maynard is invested in progressing his progeny versus progressing the UFC's own business interests. This goes especially since the UFC's own feeling on Sage is "he is what he is". They like having the kid around as a novelty act and this Sacramento card likely will be Paige & Sage Episode 2, but they ain't breaking out the crown to annoint him as the next great UFC champion. If they were, he wouldn't be fighting Mickey Gall. This was made for ratings and getting Gall another "notable" win. That's it.

35 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And I think that's what the UFC expects. I think the UFC knows that unless Northcutt makes significant strides in terms of improvement, it's going to be harder to showcase him. Hence, why they chose to stick him on the other side of the showcase bout. Maybe it turns out like Johnny Case vs. Jake Matthews where the perceived better prospect doesn't win. On the other hand, it could look like Kevin Lee vs. Jake Matthews and just show that there are indeed levels to this prospect thing. It also doesn't help that he is at welterweight and even the gritty, lower card welterweights have decent strength for the weight class. If you can't put Enrique Marin in the hurt locker, it's going to be tough to be competitive with someone who already has shown himself to be a really good and more than capable grappler.

I think having Maynard onboard now will probably help Sage for the future since he did discover the guy, but I am not sure how much Maynard is invested in progressing his progeny versus progressing the UFC's own business interests. This goes especially since the UFC's own feeling on Sage is "he is what he is". They like having the kid around as a novelty act and this Sacramento card likely will be Paige & Sage Episode 2, but they ain't breaking out the crown to annoint him as the next great UFC champion. If they were, he wouldn't be fighting Mickey Gall. This was made for ratings and getting Gall another "notable" win. That's it.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.  I also think it is probably the best fight for both guys.  Neither of these guys are at a point in their careers where they should be fighting anyone in the top 20-40 guys at lightweight or welterweight, but are too famous to not fight other name guys.  This feels like the best fight for both guys.  The winner will get a rocket strapped to them, but the other will have plenty of time to make up for this loss.  

• Like 1