DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The interview posted a few replies above is an interesting insight into the fantasy world of Jose Aldo: "I never turn down fights; I fight when I'm told to" ... "What about that time you turned down XYZ fight" ... "Oh, that was my coach, not me, so that doesn't count" ...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, A_K said:

The interview posted a few replies above is an interesting insight into the fantasy world of Jose Aldo: "I never turn down fights; I fight when I'm told to" ... "What about that time you turned down XYZ fight" ... "Oh, that was my coach, not me, so that doesn't count" ...

yeah, i found that a bit odd.

fights that Jose Aldo has pulled out of (aka "turned down")  Also note that all of these were FeatherWeight title fights, and that he was out for almost the entirety of 2012 and didn't defend his title for over a full year:

UFC 125 vs Josh Grispi (neck injury) - Grispi faced Dustin Poirier instead and lost. He then lost his next three and was released from the UFC.

UFC 149 vs Erik Koch (undisclosed injury) - Koch got injured and pulled out of the later scheduled match, then lost two in a row and never got his title shot

UFC 153 vs Frankie Edgar (foot injury) - fight happened at 156 (Aldo by decision)

UFC 176 vs Chad Mendes (shoulder injury) - fight happened at 179 (Aldo by decision)

UFC 189 vs Conor McGregor (rib injury) - fight happened at 194 (Conor by 1st rd KO)

not to mention that he admitted in at least one interview that he turned down a rematch with Conor McGregor (due to short notice).

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

yeah, i found that a bit odd.

fights that Jose Aldo has pulled out of (aka "turned down")  Also note that all of these were FeatherWeight title fights, and that he was out for almost the entirety of 2012 and didn't defend his title for over a full year:

UFC 125 vs Josh Grispi (neck injury) - Grispi faced Dustin Poirier instead and lost. He then lost his next three and was released from the UFC.

UFC 149 vs Erik Koch (undisclosed injury) - Koch got injured and pulled out of the later scheduled match, then lost two in a row and never got his title shot

UFC 153 vs Frankie Edgar (foot injury) - fight happened at 156 (Aldo by decision)

UFC 176 vs Chad Mendes (shoulder injury) - fight happened at 179 (Aldo by decision)

UFC 189 vs Conor McGregor (rib injury) - fight happened at 194 (Conor by 1st rd KO)

not to mention that he admitted in at least one interview that he turned down a rematch with Conor McGregor (due to short notice).

Pulling out due to injury does not equal turning a fight down. If it's something like Werdum choosing to not fight a replacement opponent because of nagging injuries he was planning to fight through anyway, that's a bit different because there is some type of gamesmanship involved. The Alcides Nunes one for 189 that got leaked by the Brazilian press is way different because everyone knew Aldo was seriously hurt. Even the UFC couldn't play that one down. Keep in mind, the UFC often sends the more notable fighters to top physicians in Los Angeles or Las Vegas for second opinions. These aren't fictional injuries.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pulling out due to injury does not equal turning a fight down. If it's something like Werdum choosing to not fight a replacement opponent because of nagging injuries he was planning to fight through anyway, that's a bit different because there is some type of gamesmanship involved. The Alcides Nunes one for 189 that got leaked by the Brazilian press is way different because everyone knew Aldo was seriously hurt. Even the UFC couldn't play that one down. Keep in mind, the UFC often sends the more notable fighters to top physicians in Los Angeles or Las Vegas for second opinions. These aren't fictional injuries.

oh, i totally believe that they were all legit injuries, but i just find it odd that you would give an interview saying that you "never turn down fights" and will "fight anybody the ufc puts in front of you" if you are somebody who has a history of pulling out of fights due to injury. i am aware it's not a 1:1 comparison, but you have to see there's a correlation.  Hell, Aldo took issue with Frankie Edgar calling him out for being injury prone.

I'm a big fan of Jose Aldo. don't misunderstand this. i love watching him fight. but he clearly has an inflated sense of self. I believe that (to some extent) comes with the territory of being a top level athlete. But his blatant refusal to take responsibility of pulling out of fights says something about his character.

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

oh, i totally believe that they were all legit injuries, but i just find it odd that you would give an interview saying that you "never turn down fights" and will "fight anybody the ufc puts in front of you" if you are somebody who has a history of pulling out of fights due to injury. i am aware it's not a 1:1 comparison, but you have to see there's a correlation.  Hell, Aldo took issue with Frankie Edgar calling him out for being injury prone.

I'm a big fan of Jose Aldo. don't misunderstand this. i love watching him fight. but he clearly has an inflated sense of self. I believe that (to some extent) comes with the territory of being a top level athlete. But his blatant refusal to take responsibility of pulling out of fights says something about his character.

But at the same time, he ended up fighting all the top contenders and is most likely about to fight Holloway. I don't think history is going damn someone for not fighting Josh Grispi and Erik Koch when he also beat Mark Hominick, Frankie Edgar 2x, Ricardo Lamas, Chad Mendes 2x, and fought Conor McGregor. If he retired today, he would no worse than 1b to McGregor's 1a in terms of greatest featherweights ever. Yes, there would be a correlation if a person got injured and managed to avoid everyone noteworthy. At the end of the day, he is still fighting these people. Should he take responsibility for being somewhat injury prone? Sure. Should he take responsibility for avoiding fights? Hell no because he has beaten damn near everyone put in front of him in decisive manner.