DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yep, this entire conversation is based on believing Conor McGregor when he talks.  Why does anything take anything he says seriously?

Because he's Conor McGregor and he's the UFC's first ever simultaneous two-weight champion.  So, you should take some of what he says seriously.

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Because he's Conor McGregor and he's the UFC's first ever simultaneous two-weight champion.  So, you should take some of what he says seriously.

Or don't and wait until you get solid confirmation that what he says is indeed happening or true. That's what I've been doing for the last eight months, and it has worked pretty swell for me.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

You don't really understand the Irish, do you? ;-)

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Or don't and wait until you get solid confirmation that what he says is indeed happening or true. That's what I've been doing for the last eight months, and it has worked pretty swell for me.

Dana White is the one who threw out 10 months.  The same thing goes for him because he's a promoter.

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Dana White is the one who threw out 10 months.  The same thing goes for him because he's a promoter.

It feels like we been here before. Almost like deja vu. Oh wait...

On 12/17/2016 at 11:48 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then, people figured out....Conor is about as full of shit as much as they are.

He's not going to say anything other than something that's advantageous to his reputation. I wouldn't expect him to do otherwise.

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

MMAFighting says Hunt will not accept the fight unless there are extra provisions in case Overeem fails a drug test.  Not sure what he truly expects here.  Overeem's been tested 7 times this year.  There's a regulatory testing body in place.  The UFC isn't going to hand Hunt over Overeem's whole show purse if he fails.  Overeem's team and no commission would ever agree to that. 

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

MMAFighting says Hunt will not except the fight with extra provisions in case Overeem fails a drug test.  Not sure what he truly expects here.  Overeem's been tested 7 times this year.  There's a regulatory testing body in place.  The UFC isn't going to hand Hunt over Overeem's whole show purse if he fails.  Overeem's team and no commission would ever agree to that. 

The only feasible thing he can ask for is his show + win money should a bout fall apart. As far as I know, the only time a commission like Nevada withholds someone's entire purse is for suspected foul play in a bout (i.e. no attempt to fight or throwing a fight) or because of IRS issues. Even then, they don't keep the entire purse. Keep in mind, in many cases, you can find a replacement opponent if there is ample time to search for a suitable one. Also, I am thinking there would have to be something Overeem's actual contract and not just the bout agreement that would allow for the UFC to make that decision. 

• Like 1

Exactly.  No opponent would ever agree to such a provision.  I get he's angry, but I'm not sure how he expects a government bureaucracy and the UFC and Lesnar for that matter to hand over his entire purse.  I mean his last loss was taken away so technically it doesn't count against him anymore.  So the loss was officially wiped clean off his record.  Not sure what else he expects at this point if he's agreeing to the fight.

Not saying Overeem is still incapable of cheating, but USADA is there testing him constantly.  Unless he's using techniques that can beat USADA tests for now, what else should be done? 

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Exactly.  No opponent would ever agree to such a provision.  I get he's angry, but I'm not sure how he expects a government bureaucracy and the UFC and Lesnar for that matter to hand over his entire purse.  I mean his last loss was taken away so technically it doesn't count against him anymore.  So the loss was officially wiped clean off his record.  Not sure what else he expects at this point if he's agreeing to the fight.

Not saying Overeem is still incapable of cheating, but USADA is there testing him constantly.  Unless he's using techniques that can beat USADA tests for now, what else should be done? 

I would argue that if Hunt really wanted change, he should go in front of both the California and Nevada commissions and bring all of this up about extra compensation. I mean if you can get 10% or 20% for your opponent missing weight, you should get a bare minimum 20% if your opponent is cheating. I would be more worried about my opponent on PEDs than fighting someone possibly weight drained. It's a very valid argument. Trying to get it in individual bout agreements is tough because it's not boxing. Bout agreements in boxing cover a lot of specific issues (small or large) for just about every level of fighting. In the UFC, just about everything is covered in the fighter contracts. Knowing that, it would be more effective to try to get it across the board which obviously includes commission acknowledgement and enforcement. Without that, it's just an arbitrary disagreement that everyone can ignore. You get California and Nevada actually doing something, everyone else is going to get aboard no matter what.

I did some research and in 1997, Nevada passed a bill that a fighter's entire purse can be withheld if they commit any activity resembling the Mike Tyson biting of Evander Holyfield's ear off and almost causing a riot.  For that fight, Tyson was fined 10 percent of $30 million ($3 million) and had his boxing license revoked.  However, I don't think any of that fine money went to Holyfield, who got part of his ear bit off.  I repeat, part of his ear was bit off by his opponent with his opponent using his teeth.  Now if such an event were to happen in Las Vegas, and NSAC took a whole fighter's purse away, no idea on how it would be distributed.  I doubt the opponent gets any of it.  

51 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I did some research and in 1997, Nevada passed a bill that a fighter's entire purse can be withheld if they commit any activity resembling the Mike Tyson biting of Evander Holyfield's ear off and almost causing a riot.  For that fight, Tyson was fined 10 percent of $30 million ($3 million) and had his boxing license revoked.  However, I don't think any of that fine money went to Holyfield, who got part of his ear bit off.  I repeat, part of his ear was bit off by his opponent with his opponent using his teeth.  Now if such an event were to happen in Las Vegas, and NSAC took a whole fighter's purse away, no idea on how it would be distributed.  I doubt the opponent gets any of it.  

That's opening up the commission to a lawsuit though because the fighter and the promoters entered an agreement that they would be compensated based on their services. No matter if you get knocked out in 5 seconds or somehow get into a pier six brawl at the end, you have to be compensated because you fulfilled those services. The promoter cannot break the agreement unless you broke the agreement, which would be by not fighting.

On Christmas Day, a storm will hit the UK and Ireland. They've named it Storm Conor. So if McGregor tweets something nonsensical on Christmas, he'll probably be referencing that.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's opening up the commission to a lawsuit though because the fighter and the promoters entered an agreement that they would be compensated based on their services. No matter if you get knocked out in 5 seconds or somehow get into a pier six brawl at the end, you have to be compensated because you fulfilled those services. The promoter cannot break the agreement unless you broke the agreement, which would be by not fighting.

What if instead of fighting you decide to bite off a chunk of a guy's ear?

Just now, TheVileOne said:

What if instead of fighting you decide to bite off a chunk of a guy's ear?

The whole thing is in between the headbutts from Holyfield and the biting from Tyson, there was fighting. So I mean once you hop into the ring/cage/whatever fighting surface and the bout is contested, you have to be compensated afterwards. If the commission chooses to keep the entire purse (and/or distribute it in full to the wronged party), that would be a PR nightmare for both the promoter and commission. Doesn't matter if the person got DQ'd, failed five drug tests, and missed weight. 

Fox is airing a two hour digest version of UFC 206 on Christmas Eve. This includes the Lando/Makdessi fight, Cub vs. Superboy, the co-main and main event. That's a first in that the UFC got some strings pulled and the PPV exclusivity clause was waived somehow.

So interim LIGHTWEIGHT title fight for Jose Aldo anyone?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/20/14034596/jose-aldo-q-a-on-max-holloway-fight-falling-through-clown-mcgregor

No, the Brooklyn fight is not happening. I now expect and believe I will be fighting in early March. Either March 3 or March 4, I can't remember. I believe they will soon announce an interim lightweight title fight with me. They've been trying to find me an opponent, and -- surprise, surprise -- at least one has already turned down the fight against me. I'm waiting to see who they will find. 

On 17 December 2016 at 1:10 AM, AxB said:

For anyone in the UK, BT Sport will be replaying every numbered UFC from this year (195-206) over the next couple of weeks. Usually starting at 10pm, from like Monday night onwards.

Thanks for the reminder. BT Sport did this last year as well.