DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 12/7/2016 at 0:22 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

140 is not 135 though. She made 140 twice. In order to make 135, you have to get to 136 for non title fights. She was never asked to make 135. If they wanted her at 135, she would be scheduled to fight at 135. She only agreed to fight at 140 for superfights, and they agreed to that. She got Lina Lansberg and Leslie Smith before that. She kept her end of the bargain, and they didn't mostly because everyone save for her two actual opponents and Germaine de Randamie caught the vapors.

The featherweight division is happening because there is no point in doing catchweights if no notable women except for one is willing to fight her at 140. Plus, that one woman is big enough where 145 is viable and legit. In addition, based on the Lansberg FS1 rating, Cyborg is a big enough star to justify that move. If she is the only person who will be around long term, it was going to happen anyway.

still.

there was a certain expectation, and i don't know if this was more towards the UFC brass or towards the fans, that Cyborg was going to be at 135. Cyborg vs. Rousey was the fight that everybody wanted to see. I'm not saying that UFC was promoting this fight, but they certainly didn't discourage people from anticipating it. It was certainly implied that the Cyborg/Rousey fight was the fight to make, and everything else was just a holding pattern. Here we are, 3 years later or whatever, and it seems like the fight will never happen.

And i'm gonna repeat this. Who gives a fuck about women's 145 besides Cyborg? UFC is gonna need at least a semi-solid roster of competitors. the ones so far against Cyborg (and this includes Invicta) leave plenty to be desired, and will lead very quickly to low PPV buys.  I've been interested in a Marloes Coenen UFC run, but that was mainly for the Coenen/Rousey fight. outside of that, what sort of competitors are there?

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

still.

there was a certain expectation, and i don't know if this was more towards the UFC brass or towards the fans, that Cyborg was going to be at 135. Cyborg vs. Rousey was the fight that everybody wanted to see. I'm not saying that UFC was promoting this fight, but they certainly didn't discourage people from anticipating it. It was certainly implied that the Cyborg/Rousey fight was the fight to make, and everything else was just a holding pattern. Here we are, 3 years later or whatever, and it seems like the fight will never happen.

Sadly, in the history of MMA, expectations don't mean shit though. You can expect anything when you fantasy book or you look at the rumor mill. Unless you have it on paper, it doesn't mean anything. Once Holm beat Rousey, you should have thrown a lot of those expectations out. Expectations can be very unrealistic.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

And i'm gonna repeat this. Who gives a fuck about women's 145 besides Cyborg? UFC is gonna need at least a semi-solid roster of competitors. the ones so far against Cyborg (and this includes Invicta) leave plenty to be desired, and will lead very quickly to low PPV buys.  I've been interested in a Marloes Coenen UFC run, but that was mainly for the Coenen/Rousey fight. outside of that, what sort of competitors are there?

The thing is....Cyborg isn't lesser of a star than the champs they have now. Outside of Conor or Ronda, who is exactly responsible for selling PPVs especially with Jon Jones sidelined until July and blocking the DC rematch/Rumble fight until then? She's a bigger star w/ casuals than Nunes or even Joanna (though Joanna is getting up there slowly) so that pretty much justifies the division no matter if the talent level isn't there. I think the hope with any division is that you have some names pop up over time. I mean men's flyweight is still very much dominated by Demetrious Johnson, but you still have some pretty good fighters below him. Bantamweight wasn't that thrilling until maybe the last 18 to 20 months w/ the performances of people like Aljamain Sterling, Thomas Almeida, and of course Cody Garbrandt along with the return of Dominick Cruz. Yeah, not a ton of people are clamoring to buy PPVs but you have still have talent there. The type of talent that will be developed and fostered there depends largely on how UFC treats the division. If it's just a sideshow division (much like Bellator's putrid attempt at one currently), then no, they're not going to find a ton of talent. However, if they decide to actually scout talent and potential prospects and have them face vets (preferably half decent BWs who moved up) to find out who is legit,  then the division will be okay and comparable to the other UFC divisions that ain't men's 145, 155, or 170.

Holly Holm doesn't even want to fight at 145 pounds.  Cyborg more than likely can't even make 145 pounds safely when she has to cut 30 plus pounds.  If they wanted to add a division, it should be women's flyweight for people such as Calderwood and Letourneau.

Have you ever looked on the bright side of something? Ever? It just seems like such a poor way to look at things 100% of the time. Cyborg has been fighting at 145 for a long time. She'll be fine there. As Elsavejeloco has said, she's one of the biggest draws UFC has outside of the top, established acts. Making a 145 division is a no brainer. If Kayla Harrison does well in WSOF, they could bring her in as an instant star in the making, so they'd already have two big names in 145 if they wanted it. I don't know if Coenen wants to join a division where Cyborg will obviously be at the top again. Her two fights with Cristiane were so incredibly violent. Still, she's another option. They could look to bring back Dufresne once her Bellator deal is up. Julia Budd looks pretty good from the few fights I've seen. Lots of options, though contractually it may be difficult for the time being. They'll likely run a season of TUF to fill out the division, as they did with the Strawweights.

And, yeah, there should probably be a Flyweight division too. 

Star power counts especially when the UFC depends on names. Part of the reason why there is no 125 division just yet is there isn't one or two solidified stars there. There is about 7 or 8 experienced female fighter in the division you can bring in, but below that, it's about as thin as women's featherweight is. There are a ton of young fighters there in that pecking order, but a lot of them still need the fights. If Barb Honchak, Jennifer Maia, and Vanessa Porto or even the girls currently in the UFC who would move up or down had any type of name value, the division would already exist. Strawweight exists because you already had the fighters there in Invicta, and there was no need to further cultivate the talent really. Plus, people were already sorta familiar with the characters that you could use TUF as a platform to build it. You either need the talent (up to 12 to 15 fighters) to be there or one or two stars to justify having the division. You can't be lacking in both departments. Invicta hasn't really had a flyweight fight where it was evident things were about the turn the corner. You had good fights (Lee-D'Alelio for instance), but nothing that would make you say, "Damn, I would love to see this in the UFC." like Mizuki vs. Alexa Grasso or anything like that. Invicta has to do a ton of the legwork and right now, it's still very much start and stop.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Have you ever looked on the bright side of something? Ever? It just seems like such a poor way to look at things 100% of the time. Cyborg has been fighting at 145 for a long time. She'll be fine there. As Elsavejeloco has said, she's one of the biggest draws UFC has outside of the top, established acts. Making a 145 division is a no brainer. If Kayla Harrison does well in WSOF, they could bring her in as an instant star in the making, so they'd already have two big names in 145 if they wanted it. I don't know if Coenen wants to join a division where Cyborg will obviously be at the top again. Her two fights with Cristiane were so incredibly violent. Still, she's another option. They could look to bring back Dufresne once her Bellator deal is up. Julia Budd looks pretty good from the few fights I've seen. Lots of options, though contractually it may be difficult for the time being. They'll likely run a season of TUF to fill out the division, as they did with the Strawweights.

And, yeah, there should probably be a Flyweight division too. 

Yes.  The facts are facts.  Cyborg is the one saying she's cutting down to 175 pounds.  1) that's not healthy.  2) she's too big for 145 pounds.  3) 12 weeks wasn't even long enough for her to make the weight cut.  Something is not fine here with Cyborg.  She almost died making weight in her last two UFC fights.  

27 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes.  The facts are facts.  Cyborg is the one saying she's cutting down to 175 pounds.  1) that's not healthy.  2) she's too big for 145 pounds.  3) 12 weeks wasn't even long enough for her to make the weight cut.  Something is not fine here with Cyborg.  She almost died making weight in her last two UFC fights.  

How much you want to bet she makes 145 in her next fight? Because I feel pretty confident that she will.

Apparently, the UFC is trying to replace Mike Goldberg. On last night's edition of WOR when Meltzer was talking about Sean O'Connell wanting to get a commentator gig, it was said that they have a replacement for Goldberg but haven't signed that person yet.

• Like 1

Yay! Goldberg seems like a nice enough guy and all but he's more shill than man. When he was reading off an advert in the middle of the Choi/Swanson chaos, I damn near flipped out. He's plateaued in his skill/understanding for ages, Rogan has to correct him multiple times per show, and his inflection is so robotic and annoying. Also, virtually identical is an oxymoron.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Yay! Goldberg seems like a nice enough guy and all but he's more shill than man. When he was reading off an advert in the middle of the Choi/Swanson chaos, I damn near flipped out. He's plateaued in his skill/understanding for ages, Rogan has to correct him multiple times per show, and his inflection is so robotic and annoying. Also, virtually identical is an oxymoron.

When they first started showing UFCs on British telly they were tape delayed and heavily edited, and I'd assume that the sound was clumsily clipped together because of how Goldberg's voice would jump from talking to shouting so suddenly, and have these odd pauses in mid-sentence. But then they started showing them live and he was still sounding like that, so it was just how he talked.

• Like 1

Mauro and Stann would be pretty good.  Mauro and Rogan together? I dunno. It would be great until something crazy happened. Mauro and Al Bernstein works well because Bernstein stays at a certain level even when you have an all out brawl. That's the exact opposite of Joe Rogan.

Yeah. The more Stann commentates, the better he gets. I prefer him to Rogan, as he stays technical when things pick up but does get some emotion in there. Both he and Rogan play favourites to a ridiculous degree but a lot of that is probably coming from above.