DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Cerrone vs. Lawler should still happen.

Jorge Masvidal just called Cerrone out, that is a fight I'd love for them to make.  The problem is, Masvidal is not the type of fighter you put in the ring with a contender.  Masvidal probably will never be a contender, but he's tough as nails, good at everything, and is the exact type of guy who would take great joy in fucking up all of the UFCs plans.  It would be a great fight though.

Masvidal has never been the guy to get the spoiler win though. He has had opportunities to do that, but he hasn't won those fights. There is the infamous Shark Fights bout with Paul Daley where he had a bad brainfart, the fight with Melendez where he didn't put on a good performance, the Khabilov fight, the Iaquinta fight where he got robbed, and the Benson Henderson fight. Very few times (if any) where he got the final, deciding third scorecard in his favor. Masvidal has a style where he feels he needs to fight lackadaisical to throw his opponent off, which definitely has hindered his ability to be a contender. I think he can win an all out war even against someone like Cerrone, but you always feel that may come up once again versus another top fighter.

Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve II will headline the Fight Night card in Halifax on 2/19.

Firas Zahabi's brother Aiemann Zahabi is also making his debut on that card against Reginaldo Veira.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Lots of rumors that Jim Rome is Mike Goldberg's replacement. I think Chael started it.

If that's the case, just fucking give me 10 more years of Goldberg.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You can also add Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou to that card.

Now that's just mean. Why does the UFC hate Andrei's poor chin?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

what happened to the Angela Hill fight?

USADA policy where returning fighters have to be in the testing pool for four months before returning to the UFC. This only applies to fighters who were fighting in the UFC after July 2015 and were cut/signed w/ another promotion/retired sometime after that. Hill wasn't in the testing pool at all so she wasn't eligible to fight. Hill is entering the testing pool on Tuesday so she won't be eligible to fight in the UFC until April 20.

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Now that's just mean. Why does the UFC hate Andrei's poor chin?

There ain't too many non punchers at heavyweight. The ones who would fit that category wouldn't be high profile enough to fight Arlovski. No one is exactly clamoring for him against Luis Henrique "KLB" Oliveira or Viktor Pesta. I don't think Arlovski vs. Ruslan Magomedov would be a bad fight as a Fight Night co-main and likely it goes to decision, but Magomedov failed a USADA test. So yeah, not a ton of viable options.

• Like 1