DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It's also lost him millions as well.

That's what accountants are for. Also, passing drug tests.

Who said you can't make changes to it?

Considering you fell hook, line, and sinker, it is working to some degree. He got people talking about him, and that's the purpose of the whole thing.

• Like 2

Wanderlei and Krazy Horse almost got into a fight today in a Tokyo hotel lobby.

RIZIN is dropping the ball if they don't make this fight regardless of weight class.

These idiots really need to fight each other.

58 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

Dana and Conor working the people again. They're making Eddie Alvarez a star in the process. 

I am not sure what to glean from the McGregor-Alvarez situation other than the reporting on UFC 205 ain't exactly been awe inspiring. A lot of people trying to be first but in the end don't have anything substantial to report. Also, plenty of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Plus, there have been plenty of situations where a little bit more clarity would stop the rumor mongering among fans. Romero-Weidman is official? OH WAIT....no it's not. It has been discussed but it's far from done. Ok, you want to tell us why it is far from done? You would think that for the first card in NY, people would be on the ball about this.

Also, it would answer the question of why so many who wanted to be on this card now no longer want to be on it. The Villante injury and the Iaquinta contract impasse excluded, there has been a ton of strangeness. Why did everyone say they want to fight on 205 and then get cold feet? They've spent years trying to get into New York and now so many folks are just kinda apathetic. So if anything, I commend Woodley and Thompson (along with Cerrone) for at least trying to make the best out of the situation. Just like much of the journalism in relation to this card, some of the fighter motivations have been absolutely questionable at best.

• Like 1

Fighters want a piece of that Conor McGregor/Anderson Silva money.  

If Eddie Alvarez refuses to fight Nurmagomedov, I hope he's stripped of the title. This is getting ridiculous.  Everyone wants to fight Conor McGregor so they can win the lottery and cash out.  The problem is there's only one Conor McGregor, and he's still the featherweight champion, and it doesn't even look like he can make featherweight anymore.  And it doesn't look like he is willing to vacate the belt either.

38 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Fighters want a piece of that Conor McGregor/Anderson Silva money.  

If Eddie Alvarez refuses to fight Nurmagomedov, I hope he's stripped of the title. This is getting ridiculous.  Everyone wants to fight Conor McGregor so they can win the lottery and cash out.  The problem is there's only one Conor McGregor, and he's still the featherweight champion, and it doesn't even look like he can make featherweight anymore.  And it doesn't look like he is willing to vacate the belt either.

Except in the case of Alvarez, he wasn't asking for more money or was even offered the McGregor fight according to "sources". It seems strange that a week or a week and half ago, everyone was reporting that's what all sides wanted including the UFC. Now, it turns out Eddie Alvarez wasn't even offered the fight. So what in the blue hell happened in that timeframe to make people do a 180?

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Alvarez clearly wants the McGregor fight even though it was never offered to him so he can get the PPV points that come with fighting McGregor on UFC's first PPV in New York. 

McGregor wants that fight too. UFC did as well. Jeremy Botter was sure of that fight happening as well. Dave Sholler was presumably ready to announce that fight along with the other big fights on 205 as well. Now, everything has a done a 180 and the UFC was forced to bizarrely impromptu announce some fights on UFC Tonight last night. I'm asking what the hell happened in between all that? Apparently, no one knows that answer. Everything seems like crude speculation until either one of the fighter shoots it down or someone says that's not true. If those things aren't true, then can someone please report what is true? If I was someone who planning to buy a ticket and set up hotel and travel accommodations beforehand, I would be pissed that people are just resorting to guessing. The only godsend is that presser on Tuesday because no one seems to have any concrete proof of anything.

According to FloCombat, Joanna Jedrzejczyk is defending her strawweight championship against Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205.

Along with that fight, UFC 205 also gets Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington and Belal Muhammad vs. Lyman Good. 

So here's what we have for UFC 205 for right now:

Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz

Kelvin Gastelum vs. Donald Cerrone

Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans

Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal

Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian

With Jim Miller vs. Thiago Alves and Belal Muhammad vs. Lyman Good, that would bring the total to 10 fights. There would be room for about 3 more fights. I'm guessing the main event, potentially Romero-Weidman, and another prelim fight (Aljamain Sterling maybe?).

We're still a month and a half away. Personally, I wasn't expecting a Conor fight. I always thought this was going to be the show of Ronda or GSP return  and DC/Rumble vs. Jones. I always thought Conor would fight around December or just wait until the spring. Now we stuck with this sideshow, if only Jones didn't F up. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Get a good look at the current UFC 205 lineup and enjoy it until half the main card fights fall apart.

Maybe someone will listen to me the next time I tell them Conor McGregor has options and being stripped of the title isn't one of them. Maybe someone can have a look at that.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe someone will listen to me the next time I tell them Conor McGregor has options and being stripped of the title isn't one of them. Maybe someone can have a look at that.

They are going to keep him away from Aldo as long as possible.  The first fight was built up so much that when it ended in 13 seconds, McGregor looked like an absolute killer.  I'm pretty sure that Aldo is as focused as he has been in years, and there isn't another featherweight in the world who can fuck with him at his best.  The way to make that fight a money fight again is to have McGregor to fight a bunch of high profile fights, and Aldo to go on another win streak that makes him look unstoppable again.  I thought Aldo was going to beat McGregor the first time, and unless Aldo somehow gets knocked out in the first 15 seconds again, I'm pretty sure he'd win the rematch.  If Aldo beats him convincingly in the rematch all of those lightweight and welterweight fights become a lot less attractive.  They need to take advantage of their biggest draw for as long as possible. I completely agree, McGregor and the UFC have a whole bunch of options, stripping him of the title wouldn't really help anyone.  Until Aldo gets to the point where people are calling him the uncrowned champion, McGregor is going to keep that belt.

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They are going to keep him away from Aldo as long as possible.  The first fight was built up so much that when it ended in 13 seconds, McGregor looked like an absolute killer.  I'm pretty sure that Aldo is as focused as he has been in years, and there isn't another featherweight in the world who can fuck with him at his best.  The way to make that fight a money fight again is to have McGregor to fight a bunch of high profile fights, and Aldo to go on another win streak that makes him look unstoppable again.  I thought Aldo was going to beat McGregor the first time, and unless Aldo somehow gets knocked out in the first 15 seconds again, I'm pretty sure he'd win the rematch.  If Aldo beats him convincingly in the rematch all of those lightweight and welterweight fights become a lot less attractive.  They need to take advantage of their biggest draw for as long as possible. I completely agree, McGregor and the UFC have a whole bunch of options, stripping him of the title wouldn't really help anyone.  Until Aldo gets to the point where people are calling him the uncrowned champion, McGregor is going to keep that belt.

I always thought it was more about negotiating power. Everyone has to remember that this is no longer Lorenzo, Dana, and Joe Silva's company anymore. Dana has very little involvement in the biggest fights. So whatever he wants is not necessarily what is going to happen. He can advise, but again, his duty now is just to promote the fights after they've been made. 

They could have made McGregor-Aldo II with no problem, and it would have drawn even bigger than UFC 194 just because it's UFC 205. However, McGregor winning against Nate shuffled the deck entirely because McGregor is one of the few fighters who absolutely knows how to use his leverage. It didn't work for 200, but when he wins, he knows how to hold court like a world champion. When they asked him in the individual fighter scrums post fight at 202, he left that door entirely open for both fights. He basically crowdsourced the MMA world without asking directly, "who do you want me to fight next?". Basically, in a month's time, there was a enough groundswell to warrant Alvarez-McGregor for the lightweight championship. Apparently, there was a meeting late last week or over the weekend where they basically decided which fight would happen. In this case, there was enough to sway the brass and more importantly, McGregor wasn't going to let them make the "wrong" choice. With the way they manipulated the whole leg injury thing and Alvarez-Khabib going down at UFC 206, they were able to see themselves what the fans wanted. They could either piss off fans (although it wouldn't matter as much because the week of the fight means more for PPV buys than several weeks before a show), or they could just make the fight with Alvarez. Simple as that.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's pretty simple.  Conor McGregor is never defending that title, and he's never fighting at featherweight again.  That's my prediction.