DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It looks like Claudia Gadelha has left the main branch of Nova Uniao in Rio and relocated to Stroudsburg, PA and started her own gym. It looks like Herica Tiburcio is down there as well. Claudia will be traveling to Natal, Brazil to train at Kimura Nova Uniao with Renan Barao and others NU fighters though.

There is a rumor going around that there was this blowup on the phone between Dede and her, but Claudia is denying that is what took place. 

Stroudsburg, PA? Really? I mean, start a gym wherever you want, but it's not exactly an epicenter of fight training now is it?

Just now, WholeFnMachine said:

Stroudsburg, PA? Really? I mean, start a gym wherever you want, but it's not exactly an epicenter of fight training now is it?

Maybe she got a discount! 

In a way, it kinda makes sense because she probably doesn't have to deal with the high cost of living you would have to deal with in like Vegas, LA, NYC, Miami, or places like that. She also doesn't have to compete with the major gyms in those areas. From her IG, it looks like the place is pretty packed for a tiny gym that opened only four months ago. Plus, it looks like she has local collegiate wrestlers and ex wrestlers from the nearby universities training there. That makes sense because in the Portal do Vale Tudo article (via her Facebook video), she said she wanted to grow in certain areas that Nova Uniao probably couldn't help her with.

On 31/08/2016 at 5:41 PM, Craig H said:

That's been the change I've worried about the most, the day when Joe Silva leaves. 

Likewise, pal.

On 01/09/2016 at 6:14 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Using a library computer and just let out a "oooh". Now that's a fight!!!

55 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Been watching a lot of old Frank Shamrock lately.. And it made me miss the old style of MMA. Are there any promotions out there in that Pancrase style that showcased Catch Wrestling? I love that stuff. 

I was gonna say ZST but they do more straight up MMA now with grappling bouts throw in intermittently. That's nothing you couldn't see at a higher level from like the Eddie Bravo Invitational. 

• Like 1

I'm not too worried about Joe Silva leaving.  He's not the only guy on the planet who can be a good matchmaker.  Sean Shelby is a great matchmaker and helped put together some of the best cards ever in the WEC, and he continued to step up and do a good job in the UFC as well.

On 9/2/2016 at 4:48 PM, WholeFnMachine said:

As someone originally from the area, that was my first thought. Then, I thought about it a little more. Eastern PA has a lot of high level collegiate (and high school) wrestling. Stroudsburg is essentially the midpoint of a lot of major things. It looks super weird on paper, but it looks like a sneaky decent spot to run a gym and save some money doing it.

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Shane Carwin announced that he's a free agent and he's looking to fight again, but he's not going to be fighting in the UFC.  So time for Bellator?

He said he wanted in on the RIZIN Open Weight Tournament. RIZIN has made any announcements on that, but there's always that possibility. If they ever formally negotiate and he gets in, then he's winning it handily. It would be good for him to sign with RIZIN as that would pretty much make him a free agent and he could fight pretty much anywhere around the world.

51 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Is Fedor fighting in that tournament?

No. Cro Cop posted that one fake poster of him and Fedor on it trying to stir up rumors to get the event attention, but it was obviously fake and not happening.

Karim Zidan posted a story about Fedor training for a fight in December as well being in a camp and RIZIN reaching out to him. I'm skeptical to say the least as it sounds like he's going to do another random fight in EFN on Fight Pass.

On 06/09/2016 at 10:24 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Botter is thinking McGregor vs. Alvarez is gonna happen on this card. 

Liking these two fights.

On 07/09/2016 at 5:50 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sounds like Lawler vs. Cerrone is moving close to being finalized for UFC 205. Not done yet, but damn close.

This the most. I fancy Cowboy to finish Lawler with strikes. Cerrone's a favourite fighter of mine.

On 08/09/2016 at 3:24 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

According to Dave Meltzer, UFC 202 did around 1.65 million buys making it the biggest UFC PPV ever and the largest non boxing PPV ever.

I think the internet buys put it over the top.

Wow. That's impressive.

Top five UFC PPV buys according to wikipedia:

1. UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2. 1,650,000

2. UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir 2. 1,600,000

3. UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz. 1,500,000

4. UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor. 1,200,000

5. UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes. 1,2000,000

On 08/09/2016 at 7:24 AM, TheVileOne said:

Did it definitely top UFC 100?  

Shane Carwin announced that he's a free agent and he's looking to fight again, but he's not going to be fighting in the UFC.  So time for Bellator?

Shane Carwin back in MMA. Surprise.

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Karim Zidan posted a story about Fedor training for a fight in December as well being in a camp and RIZIN reaching out to him. I'm skeptical to say the least as it sounds like he's going to do another random fight in EFN on Fight Pass.

I'm sure he's probably fighting for RIZIN on NYE again, but it's not part of the Open Weight Tournament.

I've seen rumors it maybe against Wanderlei Silva, but that all depends on if Wanderlei makes it to the finals of the Open Weight Tournament or not, unless they completely scrape the idea of the Wanderlei being in it which wouldn't surprise me.

RIZIN revealed the remaining Openweight Tournament fights:

Jiri Prochazka vs. Mark Tainos

Amir Aliakbari vs. Joao Almeida

Teodoras Aukstuolis vs. Szymon Bajor

Karl Albrektsson vs. Valentin Moldavsky

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Hyun Man Myung

Along with previously announced fights:

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Baruto Kaito

Kron Gracie vs. Hideo Tokoro

Kizaemon Saiga vs. Asen Yamamoto

Gabi Garcia vs. Destanie Yarbrough

Miyo Yamamoto vs. Rena

Kanako Murata v s. Kyra Batara

Minoru "Philip" KImura vs. Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennet

UFC 204 is already sold out.  So much for people not showing up for the crazy start time due to US PPV broadcasts.  A lot of people have always underestimated Michael Bisping's drawing power, maybe not as a draw in terms of PPV, but Bisping has a big international fanbase.  Plus British fans finally have a UFC champion, and they are finally getting a British champion defending the belt on British soil.  That's historic.

• Like 2