DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

RbfrXRp.gif

I just realized this was from the infamous Wee Willie Wilkens (aka Wellington Wilkens Jr of Michinoku Pro fame) squash that Dusty Rhodes talked about in his book. Cornette also talked about it during one of his podcasts.

This is Scott Keith's write-up which I stole from a post that cwoy2j made here a couple years ago.

The Midnight Express v. Phil Brown & Wee Willie Wilkins. OK, this is the famous squash that was discussed on the blog a while back. The full story is in Dusty Rhodes’ book, believe it or not, but basically Wilkins was this little guy who thought he was hot shit and didn’t think he warranted position as a jobber because he had a couple of jacked up bodybuilder friends who he brought with him to the tapings. So Dusty decides to punish him with the Wee Willie name instead of his previous choice “Blue Thunder” (cough). And then he got in the MX’s face backstage, so this is the result. Condrey pounds Brown down to start and Eaton drops the flying knee, just beautifully. And we get the traditional rubbing of the belts in the jobber’s face by Cornette, and it’s over to Wilkins. Dennis gets on his knees to challenge him, which is hilarious, and Cornette actually jokes that he should call himself “Blue Thunder” on commentary. Eaton brings Wilkins off the top with a backdrop suplex and Condrey drops a knee, and it’s back to Brown again. Condrey, however, gives Wilkins another round of punishment while he’s leaving the ring, so he tags back in again. Eaton also does the kneeling joke and then starts laying in some pretty stiff shots and laughs off his offense. Like, literally chuckles when Wilkins is trying to make a comeback. Oh man, this is the best squash ever. Eaton adds a neckbreaker on the floor, and back in so Wilkins can tag out again. Condrey chokes him out on the ropes and they do the in-and-out gag, and Eaton suplexes him. Back to Wee Willie again and Condrey suplexes him and really lays into him with boots, as does Eaton. Willie then makes a major error and no-sells the beating, popping up with attitude, so the Express finishes with the Rocket Launcher at 7:00. I’d hate to be that punk in the dressing room afterwards.

• Like 1

aaahdrop.gif?format=300w

halfnelson.gif?format=300w

Totally safe match

It was a Kobashi GHC Title Match at the Dome against Chono with NJPW and NOAH still in their peak periods in front of a bunch of people, did you expect them to do rolling prawn holds all match? Yes, it was dumb with both guys bad necks, but it was how it was. Of course what was dumber was the show was full of a bunch of bad shoot matches including Nakanishi getting his ass kicked.

Red Shoes is your idol and Nakamura did have a bad shoulder at one point, dislocated an AC Joint or something similar in his title match with Makabe and toughed it all the way to the finish. It was nasty looking. I forget if he had surgery or just rehab but was out about a month. It's hard to make out from this image, but it's that weird bump Red Shoes is pointing at, his left arm was worthless the last 6 minutes.

vlcsnap_5579_02_03_18h54m45s838.png

aaahdrop.gif?format=300w

halfnelson.gif?format=300w

Totally safe match

It was a Kobashi GHC Title Match at the Dome against Chono with NJPW and NOAH still in their peak periods in front of a bunch of people, did you expect them to do rolling prawn holds all match? Yes, it was dumb with both guys bad necks, but it was how it was. Of course what was dumber was the show was full of a bunch of bad shoot matches including Nakanishi getting his ass kicked.

I was stunned they weren't doing those on the ramp. Or off the ramp. Or off the apron.

RbfrXRp.gif

I just realized this was from the infamous Wee Willie Wilkens (aka Wellington Wilkens Jr of Michinoku Pro fame) squash that Dusty Rhodes talked about in his book. Cornette also talked about it during one of his podcasts.

This is Scott Keith's write-up which I stole from a post that cwoy2j made here a couple years ago.

The Midnight Express v. Phil Brown & Wee Willie Wilkins. OK, this is the famous squash that was discussed on the blog a while back. The full story is in Dusty Rhodes’ book, believe it or not, but basically Wilkins was this little guy who thought he was hot shit and didn’t think he warranted position as a jobber because he had a couple of jacked up bodybuilder friends who he brought with him to the tapings. So Dusty decides to punish him with the Wee Willie name instead of his previous choice “Blue Thunder” (cough). And then he got in the MX’s face backstage, so this is the result. Condrey pounds Brown down to start and Eaton drops the flying knee, just beautifully. And we get the traditional rubbing of the belts in the jobber’s face by Cornette, and it’s over to Wilkins. Dennis gets on his knees to challenge him, which is hilarious, and Cornette actually jokes that he should call himself “Blue Thunder” on commentary. Eaton brings Wilkins off the top with a backdrop suplex and Condrey drops a knee, and it’s back to Brown again. Condrey, however, gives Wilkins another round of punishment while he’s leaving the ring, so he tags back in again. Eaton also does the kneeling joke and then starts laying in some pretty stiff shots and laughs off his offense. Like, literally chuckles when Wilkins is trying to make a comeback. Oh man, this is the best squash ever. Eaton adds a neckbreaker on the floor, and back in so Wilkins can tag out again. Condrey chokes him out on the ropes and they do the in-and-out gag, and Eaton suplexes him. Back to Wee Willie again and Condrey suplexes him and really lays into him with boots, as does Eaton. Willie then makes a major error and no-sells the beating, popping up with attitude, so the Express finishes with the Rocket Launcher at 7:00. I’d hate to be that punk in the dressing room afterwards.

I really want to see that squash match. MX squashes were always a riot to watch b/c of Cornette on commentary and Bobby and Dennis' in-ring charisma but this one was probably epic.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

RbfrXRp.gif

I really want to see that squash match. MX squashes were always a riot to watch b/c of Cornette on commentary and Bobby and Dennis' in-ring charisma but this one was probably epic.

It starts at about 6:30 in (including the Cornette promo).

Red Shoes is your idol and Nakamura did have a bad shoulder at one point, dislocated an AC Joint or something similar in his title match with Makabe and toughed it all the way to the finish. It was nasty looking. I forget if he had surgery or just rehab but was out about a month. It's hard to make out from this image, but it's that weird bump Red Shoes is pointing at, his left arm was worthless the last 6 minutes.

That little lump is still there.

Cornette claiming that the Louisville Cardinals invented the high 5 is tremendous.

Cornette didn't make that up.  I've heard that before.  I have no idea of the validity of it, but people around Louisville make that claim a lot.