DVDVR Message Board

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor (12/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I hate Conor's "crazy eyes" face.  I hate the way Dana White and Rogan and Goldberg non-stop fellate their "chosen ones" just the same as I hate when Vince and company do it.

I can't wait for Sage Northcutt to lose too (even though he was once affiliated with my gym). 

I hate Conor's "crazy eyes" face.  I hate the way Dana White and Rogan and Goldberg non-stop fellate their "chosen ones" just the same as I hate when Vince and company do it.

Everything I'm hearing post-fight (hell, before the fight as well) says they wanted Aldo to win. Aldo, they can deal with. He will bitch and complain about certain stuff, but he will ultimately acquiesce in the end. Conor McGregor is a whole different ballgame. They're making a ton of money with him, but he is the first fighter to realize his drawing power and what he is capable of. 

• Like 1

I can't wait for Sage Northcutt to lose too (even though he was once affiliated with my gym). 

They're trying to make money. Also, Rogan hypes DJ like nobody else on the planet and no one cares.

As a fellow Houstonian and Texan, I'm disappointed you are so negative toward a kid who seems to be a pretty nice affable guy.  It's not his fault if the UFC is potentially over-hyping him.  

So I initially missed all of the events this weekend. Internet's too slow for fight pass, had to work on Saturday morning and they didn't re-air in the evening as scheduled then Sunday....woke up at 9:25 am to watch the show at 9:30 am. First two fights finish and I'm just starting to get really hyped.....and then my power cuts. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

Luckily, they re-aired the TUF finale and UFC 194 last night from 8:30 pm - 1 am.  My thoughts :

-Still wasn't sold on Conor, thought Aldo would take him out but would not have even considered putting money down. Still, if I had known it was going to be a 10 second KO, my gut would have strongly leaned towards Aldo. Not surprised that Dana and co. wanted Aldo to win, I'd love to have seen Dana's reaction when he heard Conor talking 15-20 million per fight.

-Weidman was lost on the ground. For a MW champion and p4p contender, that was some piss-poor defense from the mounted position, wasn't it? I'm just going to put my hands over my face and try to not let any hard shots get through. No scrambling, or bucking, or trying to control Rockhold's position, just cover up and ride it out. At first I didn't put much thought into, it was different at least. Then when the elbows started getting through and you could see the blood splatter on the mat, it quickly went from interesting to stupid.

-Romero does nothing for me. Last night did not do a lot to back up the recent claims of "best MW lineup of all time".

-Romero does nothing for me. Last night did not do a lot to back up the recent claims of "best MW lineup of all time".

I mean by just going down and happening, it was already that. What other lineup were they going against?

I meant the rankings, sorry. Are the current top 10 MW's really head and shoulders above those five years ago? Could be, and I can't be bothered to check, but my point was that last night did not really strengthen that argument.

It pretty much is. I mean the guy who was the defacto #2 MW for a few years lost to the defacto #2 welterweight about a month or so ago. 

You're not going to find a single person who would take Jacare, Romero, Rockhold, or Weidman to lose to Jon Fitch. Keep in mind, that's leaving out people like Whittaker and Brunson who are just way better athletes and much bigger than someone like Fitch. 

Once you get past Anderson Silva and the occasional appearance of Dan Henderson, it is slim pickings in terms of actual accomplishment. I mean Jake Shields has a win over Dan, and he is a career welterweight. Part of that was Anderson slaughtering everyone. The other part of that is someone like Michael Bisping was on a totally different island as other fighters at middleweight. Even with a roster size of epic proportions, that really only still happens at welterweight and lightweight. If you're a decent middleweight now, you're going to fight the other decent middleweights.

Could you imagine Chael Sonnen off TRT trying to get a title shot now? Yoel Romero would donkey kong him inside eight minutes. I don't even want to know what Jacare would do to him.

I hate Conor's "crazy eyes" face. I hate the way Dana White and Rogan and Goldberg non-stop fellate their "chosen ones" just the same as I hate when Vince and company do it.

As a fellow Houstonian and Texan, I'm disappointed you are so negative toward a kid who seems to be a pretty nice affable guy. It's not his fault if the UFC is potentially over-hyping him.

Well, I've never met him, but the stories about how he got moved around from gym to gym and only allowed to spar with people vastly less experienced than him so he wouldn't lose his confidence just speaks of some ridiculous privilege that rubs me the wrong way. People who have coached him don't have great things to say about him. He does set up his arm bar the way we drill it, so, um, yay?

There seem to be rumblings from Ariel Helwani and Dave Meltzer that there's some dissension with McGregor and UFC brass over his contract.  Not that it can't be worked out.  But there is that video clip going around of Frank Fertita apparently looking none to pleased when McGregor knocks out Aldo and slamming down the belt.  Now I'm sure you can interpret that snippet in a number of ways.  But here it is:

https://twitter.com/anthonycreasey/status/676126790709039104

Of course he could just be really surprised.  

1) Rockhold vs. Weidman

2) Barboza vs. Ferguson

3) Gonzaga vs. Erokhin - fuckin' great fight. Just exchanging bombz!

Miller/Chiesa was really good too. I missed the second round of Faber/Saenz, so I can't rank it.

Whatchoo got?

So UFC 194, eh? We’ve had two of the biggest holy shit MMA moments consecutively with Holly Holm beating Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor beats Jose Aldo. The win by McGregor was covered on BBC like they did when he won the Interim UFC Featherweight Championship. The only other time BBC did that was when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm and the aftermath with Rousey’s reactions to the defeat.

So now that the 3 shows in 3 days is over what are everyone's Top 3 or 5 fights of the Tripleshot?

Still have some to watch.

1. Rockhold vs. Weidman 

2. Edson Barboza vs. Tony Ferguson

3. Urijah Faber vs. Frankie Saenz

4. Jim Miller vs. Mike Chiesa

5. Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes

Do you mind if I just copy your list and say it is mind too? Because yeah, I don't have anything remarkably different except maybe swap 4 for Romero and Souza. I loved that spinning back fist he did.

Was not happy to see Aldo get KTFO but I made cash betting on McGregor.

Was elated to see Luke Rockhold get the win.  Something about Chris Weidman really annoys me.

Tecia's little surge in R3 was insane.  She just teed the fuck off on on Jones-Lybarger!

So do they give Weidman a rematch and tell him not to use wheelkicks, or do they give Romero the next shot? Because I don't really want to see Romero in a five rounder.

How many UFC Champions are Southpaws, now? Because it's more than the 10% of the population who are left handed.

So do they give Weidman a rematch and tell him not to use wheelkicks, or do they give Romero the next shot? Because I don't really want to see Romero in a five rounder.

How many UFC Champions are Southpaws, now? Because it's more than the 10% of the population who are left handed.

It is amazing how being left handed seems to throw off everyone in almost every sport.  Left handed pitchers pitch until their arms fall off, because there just arent' enough of them to go around.  James Harden and Manu Ginobili seem to be able to get to the rim whenever they want, because everyone forgets they are left handed.  It doesn't seem like it should be that big of an advantage, but when you are talking about elite athletes it makes a difference.

I'm sick of the talking point that Weidman only lost because of that foolish wheel kick. I had Rockhold winning every round until the finish. They were fighting Rockhold's kind of fight and Weidman's body was getting marked up. Still annoyed that it wasn't stopped in the third.

No rematch for Weidman. Bring on Romero.