DVDVR Message Board

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor (12/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

In the Fox Sports Vine, Buffer's reaction never changes. He is legitimately stunned. Everything he believes has been shattered.

Tiago Okamura on the left of Joanna is about to have his head explode like Scanners.

Whilst it's a tad unfair to rule out the Aldo rematch at this stage, it feels like McGregor is in the driving seat and what he wants will come first. From a promotional & $$$ standpoint, it'll be tougher to sell a rematch given the fashion of the knockout to the general public, whereas an Edgar, Dos Anjos, Cerrone bout is more likely to appeal to a larger base imo.

The boldness in McGregor's claim that he'll hold both titles at two different weight classes, refusing to vacate his FW belt, is bloody brilliant as well. What a guy.

Here's the thing. I understand this is a business but nobody with a straight face can say that Rousey deserves a rematch more than Aldo does. I think they should both get a rematch.  Rogan is an idiot for saying Aldo doesn't deserve shit yet he'll hype the fuck out of Ronda.

Yeah, Ronda got knocked out because she didn't know how to close the distance on a superior boxer, Aldo got knocked out while throwing a punch that could have legit knocked his opponent out.  There is a huge difference there.  Aldo threw a punch that left his opponent bloodied and it landed after he was unconscious.  Can you imagine if that punch would have knocked McGregor out?  That would have been the craziest fight in MMA history, but Connor's chin seems to be made of concrete and stuff, word to Cabbage Correira. 

I don't think that punch could have knocked Conor out. Usually when people get dropped like that, the punch loses momentum as the other punch lands. As soon as Aldo got jolted, it became an arm punch more or less because Aldo's weight wasn't really traveling with it anymore.

You see it all time when folks get knocked out exchanging wide left hooks.

Unless you're Gennady Golovkin or Julian Jackson, you're probably going to be taking a brief nap if your punch doesn't land first and harder.

I don't think the punch would have knocked him out after Conor put him out, but if Aldo landed first that is a punch that could have knocked him out.  I was more saying in a Rocky 3 simultaneous punch scenario we could have seen an all time crazy finish.  Conor has a hell of a beard though, Chad Mendes hit him with a couple of shots that lifted his feet off the ground and he seemed unaffected.  McGregor moving up to 155 could be a mistake, at 145 he really only had 3 or 4 legit challenges, but 155 is like going to the zoo and jumping into the lion cage.  Everyone there can potentially kill you.  With that said, I so hope that happens.  I want as many high level lightweights as possible, I don't know how anyone is going to string enough wins together to get a title shot, but it will be fun.  Aldo should move up too, so he can get his rematch, and I get to see him and Anthony Pettis fight...if either of them could somehow be healthy at the same time.

This weekend of fights was an early Christmas gift.  Nothing was a let down.

• Like 1

Aldo needs to get some momentum back first. He needs to face someone and soon and knock them out. And then soon after that, face someone else besides the champion, and then knock them out. He can't be on the back burner like he was for so long. He needs to be active because his fighting instincts dulled. He has never committed to a hook like that and the more I watch it, the more I se that he had no intention of out striking McGregor. Aldo has never knocked anyone out without kicks or combinations or knees. He did not have a hand out to guard his face when he threw that hook, nor did he bother to not even hide that it was coming. Aldo is fast, but dude might as well should have put up a "[punch me here" sign on his chin.

I am so angry right now because I did not want White's favorites to win like they have and McGregor is fucking unbearable.

Aldo commits almost everything to his strikes. I think that hook was extra special because of all the shit Conor talked but Aldo throws hard all of the time. The fact Conor said Aldo would load up on a big right at the start of the fight and it would be his undoing is unreal. Mystic Mac is right again.

If Conor can add the pivot counter to his game, he'll be an incredibly difficult nut to crack. I noticed that even somebody as technical as Rockhold doesn't throw any strikes while pivoting. It's either offense or defense with him. His footwork also looked pretty slow and he got trapped against the cage way too much by Weidman but I'm guessing at least some of that was due to his health situation.

• Like 1

Aldo commits almost everything to his strikes. I think that hook was extra special because of all the shit Conor talked but Aldo throws hard all of the time. The fact Conor said Aldo would load up on a big right at the start of the fight and it would be his undoing is unreal. Mystic Mac is right again.

If Conor can add the pivot counter to his game, he'll be an incredibly difficult nut to crack. I noticed that even somebody as technical as Rockhold doesn't throw any strikes while pivoting. It's either offense or defense with him. His footwork also looked pretty slow and he got trapped against the cage way too much by Weidman but I'm guessing at least sone of that was due to his health situation.

It was a big left and he usually starts left hooks(the Dutchy) to the body and then commits to the right leg kick. The left hook is just a set-up usually. He does not commit to that strike without it being a counter to whatever the opponent is throwing. I've seen Aldo fights several times and him doing that was a mistake and also unusual for him. Aldo here was committing to the hook like he never has before without it being a counter. 

I am so angry right now because I did not want White's favorites to win like they have and McGregor is fucking unbearable.

Unbearable? The man is absolute gold for the sport. What's to dislike? He's a genuine bloke, with a larger than life personality when promoting fights, and as has been mentioned by just about every news outlet, he backs it up in the cage with a terrific skillset. Surely that's the type of figure that people would find bearable?

Unbearable? The man is absolute gold for the sport. What's to dislike? He's a genuine bloke, with a larger than life personality when promoting fights, and as has been mentioned by just about every news outlet, he backs it up in the cage with a terrific skillset. Surely that's the type of figure that people would find bearable?

Because when it is a black man in combat sports doing half the shit Conor does, they would hate him and people deride him. Hell, if it is a black person in sports period from Serena, T.O. Allen Iverson, Richard Sherman(called him a thug, Conor does the same fucking thing and he is a "genuine bloke")and etc, , they would not be so liked. So being a black man and him using xenophobic language against Brazilians, yeah, I don't like him like I don't like Chael. I get it is an act that gets in people's heads, but does not mean I have to like it.

And before you say if Conor did not talk shit, I would like him. Of course I would. I do not mind trash talking. I do mind his following endorsing it and being hypocritical about it when it comes to other just as successful athletes who have melanin, including the fucking company, meanwhile Jon Jones gets shit on left and right before being too fake(there are plenty of reasons to hate Jones now but before I agree with the Joe Rogan assessment of that situation). 

So I guess it is more of his fans than him because he turns that asshole switch off when the fight is over.

Because when it is a black man in combat sports doing half the shit Conor does, they would hate him and people deride him. Hell, if it is a black person in sports period from Serena, T.O. Allen Iverson, Richard Sherman(called him a thug, Conor does the same fucking thing and he is a "genuine bloke")and etc, , they would not be so liked. So being a black man and him using xenophobic language against Brazilians, yeah, I don't like him like I don't like Chael. I get it is an act that gets in people's heads, but does not mean I have to like it.

Wait, so you dislike him because, comparatively, western media have portrayed black people in a bad light? That's not Conor McGregor's fault.

Wait, so you dislike him because, comparatively, western media have portrayed black people in a bad light? That's not Conor McGregor's fault.

I edited it. And you forget the xenophobic language he used against Brazil, as a way to "get inside Aldo's head." About as equivalent as the baseball manager calling Jackie Robinson nigger while the crowd cheers. 

What did Conor say abut Brazil? Chael was certainly xenophobic and generalized but did Conor?

I do agree that if it were a black man saying the same stuff he'd be portrayed differently and not in a good way.

"If this was a different time, I would invade his Favela on horseback and kill anybody that was not fit to walk."

"Look in my eyes little man. Little Brazilian. (says in Portugese) You are going to die."

"Whatcha going to do? Little Brazillian Bitch."

These aren't a bunch of saints here. Jose's publicly tweeted the n word and posted a homophobic video about other fighters in the past.

Brazillians have made it a point to say that every single one of them are mixed with African descent. Jose probably has those privileges. Brazilian racism and anti-blackness in of itself is peculiar because of the nature of it's slavery system that it had and integration. Is Jose black enough to use it as term of camaraderie and not a slur? Don't know. That is a topic that goes beyond fighting, really.

The homophobic shit was nonsense, but I'd like to point out that if we are toting that line, 97% of the UFC would be assholes including Ronda Rousey. Yeah, it's wrong and fucked up and I don't support Jose going that route against Pettis nor am I excusing it. I was rooting for Pettis.

But Jose never came out and said Irish prick or anything like that. The only thing he has said close to that was the fact that McGregor may not be getting tested in Ireland like Conor implied Jose wasn't in Brazil. Conor never brought up the ethnicity of any of his opponents in his taunts besides Brandao and Aldo. He just called them pussies or bitches(which are gender slurs but they never called women and Aldo is guilty of that shit too). With those two, Brazillian was brought up. 

And quite frankly, Aldo did not get on a mic in front of Irish fans and say anything to the effect of what McGregor said in front of Brazilian fans. This is especially a pressing issue with a few times Brazilian fighters got on and the opponent(usually white) saying something of the other fighter being Brazilian. Something stoked in the North American and European fight community a xenophobia against Brazillians since they have dominated the sport for so long.

Who is to the Right of Dillashaw in the photo?

Not sure. From a snippet in the video, it looks like Daniel Leith who was Rockhold's nutritionist from Embedded. However, this person looks much taller.

He was also mocking the Ido Portal thing, which makes me believe it's him as it would explain the shocked reaction.