DVDVR Message Board

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor (12/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I get why he wants to move up but that division would be left in the shitter if the champ leaves after winning the title.

Sherdog radio is talking about how Sage Northcutt made $80,000 for his fight. Holy fuck. AlJo made $20k or something? Get paid, Mr. Sterling... Get paid. Is that some passive racist bullshit? Sage looks like a Tiger Beat motherfucker but can't talk. Sterling is a great prospect, is hilarious, has a great look, and while not as flashy as Sage (but completely different level of opponents), still has some great highlights.

• Like 1

I get why he wants to move up but that division would be left in the shitter if the champ leaves after winning the title.

Sherdog radio is talking about how Sage Northcutt made $80,000 for his fight. Holy fuck. AlJo made $20k or something? Get paid, Mr. Sterling... Get paid. Is that some passive racist bullshit? Sage looks like a Tiger Beat motherfucker but can't talk. Sterling is a great prospect, is hilarious, has a great look, and while not as flashy as Sage (but completely different level of opponents), still has some great highlights.

Racism is a bit strong of a word here considering that they're showcasing people from across the world. Sage clearly has better representation. If you accept $28k as a young prospect, that is what you accept. If you got to test free agency, then go ahead and do so.

• Like 1

Press conference is finally on.

$10.1 million. Holy shit. Compared to 189, it seemed like the Irish fans weren't quite as vociferous as they were for the Mendes fight. I wonder if the REALLY drunk and loud Irish fans were priced out.

This is hard to call, really want McGregor to win but Aldo is by far the biggest test yet.

McGregors left hand will be the difference i think, maybe also the fact that this is Aldos first fight in 12+ months and in that time Conors fought twice (granted one of those was Siver) but still.

Cant believe it. I honestly thought Aldo was gonna do it despite being a huge Conor fan. Crazy

Sterling's disclosed payout was $12K/$12K for the Mizugaki fight so that's probably inaccurate.  

He's a free agent now and he can test his value.  So that's up to him and his manager.  

Sterling and Benson Henderson need to get paid. I want to happen.

Now if it actually happens, we are just have to see. If Benson Henderson wonders into a fight with Conor McGregor or walks into an ignited lightweight division, he will get broke off something fierce. It is a high risk and possibly high reward.

Sterling can afford to fight several months or a couple years outside of the UFC and probably move up his value to the UFC by beating someone like Joe Warren to sleep. He would fuck him up worse than Pat Curran ever did. However, I want to see him in the UFC. Sterling and Almeida are the future at bantamweight.

FWIW, 2016 is going to be super interesting.

You don't come off a year like this without paying people. McGregor is going to want more money (Botter is talking $15-20m per fight). Some of the other champs are going to want more money. If people up their value, the UFC is going to have no other choice but to. That's the only way you can replicate a year like this. 

I wonder if the UFC plays hardball with their top stars if one of them brings up the idea of a union. 

The top 1% most likely don't a shit about the 99%. Anything union related is going to come from the lower guys. The problem is with 560+ fighters, you get more Guangyou Nings who are absolutely dreadful than Aljamain Sterlings who is the complete and utter antithesis of that. So you got 15 good to great prospects who seriously need to get paid versus everything in between to extremely sucky.

The vets should get paid as well, but you get people shifting and blurring the lines. For example, Lauzon has always been a reliable guy (at least in terms of entertainment). However, he looked like he was on his way out the door against Dunham. 

Once you get past the gatekeepers and vets, you get the people who should not be on the roster more than 1-2 fights. If this was boxing, they would never have a promotional contract. They would get flown out to Vegas or whatever and lose like they're suppose to lose. This is just what happens you have a development league within the top organization.

I can't believe Herb Dean didn't stop the Weidman / Rockhold fight in the third round.  I counted 87 shots once Rockhold got mount.  Sure, maybe some got blocked but Weidman got bludgeoned.  Hate that fake dude. Was he wearing dog tags?  When did he serve in the military? 

• Like 1

I'm thinking a few top fighters unhappy with negotiations use the threat of a union because it of course will need to start with the top fighters (but mostly benefit the low level fighters). But the easiest way for the UFC to bypass that is, as Charlie said, pay off the elite. I can't see them being remotely willing to pay Conor $15-20 million a fight. It sets a precedent.

Jesus, Conor called his shot! This fucking guy.

Well they do have a developmental league for the women now.  It's called Invicta.

They basically siphoned a lot of their talent away. Invicta could put on more than 4 cards a year if you had someone like Joanna and some of the other girls they use to have. You got people taking maternity leave, random injuries that may or may not be legit, weight issues, and people making demands. Most lower level promotions don't deal with that. Who is making demands in RFA or Legacy? They're in a tough spot because they can put on entertaining shows. Shit, moreso than what you see on AXS unless it's a card where everyone is getting slept. The problem is the depth is just not there.

I'm thinking a few top fighters unhappy with negotiations use the threat of a union because it of course will need to start with the top fighters (but mostly benefit the low level fighters). But the easiest way for the UFC to bypass that is, as Charlie said, pay off the elite. I can't see them being remotely willing to pay Conor $15-20 million a fight. It sets a precedent.

The thing is....if they pay all those top people, where is your bargaining power? That's been the whole thing for the last several years. Keep in mind, the Couture situation was eight years ago now.