DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Rented this at the walking-distance Redbox to see if I like it. Jury's still out, but you should see me run from radroaches while trying to shoot them. All that's missing is the stereotypical shriek of the '50s housewife. I'm dreading my first one of those big bastards I detested in New Vegas.

Any general tips for splitting up SPECIAL points? I started the game with 4 apiece in each attribute, but I think I wanna key on the one that increases my VATS accuracy.

I doubt I'm the guy to listen to because I'm kind of all over the place with mine, but I like the melee deal, so I worked on stuff in strength. Lately, I've been trying to build up Armorer, Hacking, and Lockpicking. I also did the Mysterious Stranger or whatever it's called (in the Luck category) just because I get a kick out of him randomly showing up.

I really need to work on VATS because I miss at least half my shots when I use it.

• Like 1

Has anyone been to the Glowing Sea yet? I have some power armor and 15 fusion cores waiting but I'm wondering how long I'll be stuck in that shit storm and what I'll be up against. Wait and level everything up to god mode or go for it?

Has anyone been to the Glowing Sea yet? I have some power armor and 15 fusion cores waiting but I'm wondering how long I'll be stuck in that shit storm and what I'll be up against. Wait and level everything up to god mode or go for it?

What level are you?  I'd wait until you get to at least late 30s if not mid 40s before I wandered around the Glowing Sea.  The regular enemies are easy enough to deal with, but the higher level and especially the legendary enemies in around there are no joke.  Does something called a Legendary Alpha Glowing Deathclaw sound like something you can deal with?  If not, you should probably save early and often if you want to walk around out there. 

What level are you?  I'd wait until you get to at least late 30s if not mid 40s before I wandered around the Glowing Sea.  The regular enemies are easy enough to deal with, but the higher level and especially the legendary enemies in around there are no joke.  Does something called a Legendary Alpha Glowing Deathclaw sound like something you can deal with?  If not, you should probably save early and often if you want to walk around out there. 

I'm at level 27 right now. Yeah, I'll wait.....because fuck that for now.

I was thinking my place in Sanctuary was pretty good till I saw some of the stuff online.  

Putting floors down before doing walls is definitely the way to go.  Things can still get wonky though, especially with some types of corners, or with doorways.

Spent an hour or so last night building some stuff in 2 smaller settlements.  Finally got my supply lines hooked up for a couple places too.  Finished up a complete level without firing a shot.

I've been having problems assigning someone to my weapons stand in Sanctuary. I have a trader and someone at the drink stand. No matter who i assign to the weapons stand won't go there. If I track them down within the settlement, they'll sell weapons, they just won't be at the stand. I've tried using the random settlers and the named characters and nothing works.

Update on this. Did some googling and apparently I'm not the only one this is happening to. No fix as of yet but from what I've read, it only happens with the initial weapons stand. Once you get to the higher level weapons stands, it works like it's supposed to.

I'm in the process of setting up some sweet bars in Sanctuary and Starlight Drive-In. If you put a bar somewhere along with some stools and power, your settlers will actually go there at the end of each day, have drinks and sit around. Also, from what I can tell, if you haven't assigned someone a task you can usually find them at the bar while everyone else is working. Helpful b/c often I forget who I've assigned to what. The defense settlers walk around with guns but sometimes I forget who I assigned to food if they're not actively working in the garden.

If you have a fully repaired set of power armour and about 10-20 cores - you'll be right.

I'd recommend investing in a few perks though - ones that might help you get to a Certain level of aptitude in Creating armour pieCes

My experiences so far:

(get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) GODDAMMIT! (sets game on "Easy") (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (contemplates setting game on "very easy," doesn't out of pure shame)

• Like 1

It gets so much easier as you (quickly) level up. Keep plugging away, my man. It's not that long from when you are screaming like a child at the sight of a rad roach to sprinting head on at a legendary super mutant and one hit kill it.

I'm finding this game to be pretty darned easy now even on very hard. There was an incredibly dangerous robit in the Institute but other than that... *Toru Yano shrug*

Yeah, some of the assaultrons and advanced synths are actually harder to kill without dying than deathclaws. Mark IV turrets, too. Fuck Mark IV turrets. 

Deathclaws ain't shit in this game. I just used the 2078 World Series bat to knock the head of one about four hundred yards away. 

As someone who found the CRPG Fallouts to be precarious experiences in terms of dying and who had his share of trouble with New Vegas because of Hardcore Mode and those fucking Cazadores, Fallout 4 seems much easier.

Some tips: Build initially with strength, endurance and perception for your first run. More health, better in VATS, more killing power. Just go from Sanctuary to Concord and deal with all the stuff in that area first. That should give you a good foothold for further exploration. 

My experiences so far:

(get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) GODDAMMIT! (sets game on "Easy") (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (get killed) (contemplates setting game on "very easy," doesn't out of pure shame)

I spent my first few days going mur, mur, mur too, and being baffled at folks that say they're not having any problems with combat.  it's better now that I have some decent weapons, and an inkling of what I should be doing.  Still run into buzzsaws every once in a while.  LIke tonight when I came out of fast travel to find myself boxed in by ghouls, bloodbugs and mutants on all sides, with at least two fuckers with skulls beside their titles.  

INCOMING DOUBLE POST - EXCUSE ME, PLEASE.

My experiences so far:

I spent my first few days going mur, mur, mur too, and being baffled at folks that say they're not having any problems with combat.  it's better now that I have some decent weapons, and an inkling of what I should be doing.  Still run into buzzsaws every once in a while.  LIke tonight when I came out of fast travel to find myself boxed in by ghouls, bloodbugs and mutants on all sides, with at least two fuckers with skulls beside their titles.  

There's a very rudimentary cover based system in the game.

so you're not in vats mode and you're coming up on a village with a couple of raiders walking down the road.

go up to the wall of a house near to the road and get your weapon out - aim the weapon and if you're close enough to the side of the house it will auto-peak around the corner.

I'm at level 27 right now. Yeah, I'll wait.....because fuck that for now.

I think I'm either 27 or 28 now and I walked the glowing sea quite a while ago, probably when I was around 19 or 20 when I was doing the main story quest that sends you way out there.  I didn't think it was bad at the time and I for sure didn't have  20 fusion cores.  Came across alpha deathclaw and he killed me about 5 times and I just said fuck this and went back to sanctuary and grabbed my fat man and nuked his ass.  I remember coming across a bunch of rad scorpions and stingwings and shit like that.  Was pretty fun. 

I had very little trouble in the Glowing Sea as a level 20 something.  I just put on my hazmat suit and went for a walk.  Toughest thing I saw was a standard deathclaw, or maybe a glowing radscorp.  

Anyway, it's probably time for me to admit that I have a problem.  I'm addicted to building shit in this game.  I was up to about 1500 steel, and 900 wood till a couple days ago, but I managed to burn through all of it, and still didn't come close to building everything I wanted.  Went and did a couple missions to round up more materials, and I wound up unlocking another settlement.  So now I have another place to build out.

I started out building fairly normal looking building type things, but the last few have got ridiculous - big ring shaped structures with only a ladder or two touching the ground.  At least they should be easy to defend if I ever get attacked.

• Like 1

I dont know if this is unique or not but I was talking with Damien and he said that after he put Nick Valentine into Power Armor - Nick got possessive of it so when Damien tried to fix it, Nick would freak out and act like Damien was trying to steal it.

So Damien has to basically send Nick away or "steal" the power armor away to repair it.

I found a new way to die tonight.  Was working on a bigass stairwell at the drive-in, starting from the screen and heading back towards the other end of the settlement.  I was 6 flights up in the air when I accidentally stored the flight I was standing on.  Oops.

• Like 1