DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

And how. I love how determined to get better he is. After only getting two boards in his summer league debut, he said that was unacceptable and then went on to grab 10 of them in roughly the same amount of time next game. I don't like the Knicks but the NBA is better off with them being a good team (same with the Lakers). He may single-handedly turn that franchise around if he reaches his potential. The NBA hasn't been this fun to follow since the early '90s and if those two powerhouses can get their shit together, I would think the league would be in the best shape it's ever been in, at least for fans.

Nobody at that size has ever had the potential to be what he is athletically.

Ralph Sampson was IMO. Back injury killed him but before it happened he was a freak. 

Dragan Bender might have more upside than Porzingis. He will get compared to Porzingis a lot but it isn't really fair. They have similar height and weight, and are both European, but the comparison ends there. All I'll say about Bender is that anyone that wondered what a 7'0" plus Andrei Kirilenko would look like might just get to find out soon enough. 

I'm trying not to remember he exists at the moment but Embiid is, or should I say was, really athletic for someone 7'2" in shoes. Fast, explosive, with rare body control and coordination. 

Whiteside is still doing his thing this year.  It's early but his averages are 16, 11, and 3.5 blocks.  Miami has some tough decisions in the next offseason ahead.  Pay or nah?

After I gushed about the Thunder last week, they go on a three game losing streak.  Of course.

Whiteside is still doing his thing this year.  It's early but his averages are 16, 11, and 3.5 blocks.  Miami has some tough decisions in the next offseason ahead.  Pay or nah?

Yeah they aren't in a good position since they don't own Whiteside's bird rights. If they don't pay him someone else will. Worth more than Thompson and Kanter and they got paid. I'm not sure how attractive of a destination that team would be without him. Bosh will be 32, Dragic is turning 30. Wade will be 35. 

D Rose stepped up last night.  He always plays well against elite competition, but he flat out outplayed Westbrook down the stretch.  Incredible last 5 minutes.

Love how flexible Hoiberg is with his rotations.  Bad matchup against Serge for Niko?  Play Taj and Noah more.  Can hide McDermott on Roberson? Sure, let's start him.

Yeah they aren't in a good position since they don't own Whiteside's bird rights. If they don't pay him someone else will. Worth more than Thompson and Kanter and they got paid. I'm not sure how attractive of a destination that team would be without him. Bosh will be 32, Dragic is turning 30. Wade will be 35. 

I still think Riley wants a shot at Durant, but he has to know that's a long shot.  Whiteside has had his issues but the Heat might just have to suck it up and take the risk if he keeps putting up these numbers. He's young, a good starting big man, and I bet he enjoys living in Miami.  Roll the dice.

It would be a total ESPN move to have the best sportswriter in the world on staff, right as the NBA season is heating up, and not use him.

How anyone could blame Simmons for this is beyond me. They wanted Grantland dead long before Simmons took his editors back. That they aren't using Zach fucking Lowe should prove how little they value quality of content.

Jonah Keri said his stuff is going to be on espn.com from now on, so they're doing something.  

It's a little weird they would have the baseball stuff up first since the season just ended while football and basketball are going on.  

Embiid looked all the world like the second coming of Hakeem (but 3" taller) and if he is never healthy like Bowie, Oden, etc, it's a fucking shame.

Well at least at this point he would just be a bonus. I know logically I should just write him off. I still hold out hope though. Since Illgauskas had a similar issue for 2 straight seasons. Illgauskas is cool and went and visited him at the hospital after the surgery. Plus he would just be a junior in college right now. One of the Doctor's that did the 2nd surgery also did Durant's surgery. He said Embiid's foot was in better shape than Durant. They all said it looked a lot better than what they were expecting. On Durant's foot they used a substance to graft it which they were going to do with Embiid as well. Ended up just using his own bone because the condition it was in was good. Maybe the lack of pain was a good sign as well. Ming and Walton were at a disadvantage when they had their issues with their feet. They both have arched feet. Also the issues were discovered much later. Hopefully it isn't a repeat of Oden. Oden, Roy and Aldridge are the ultimate what could have been. They were 52-10 when all 3 of them played together. 

Has ESPN.com added Zach Lowe yet or is he gone? Haven't seen him post anything.

It will probably be in the Insider section once he does knowing ESPN.

I still think Riley wants a shot at Durant, but he has to know that's a long shot.  Whiteside has had his issues but the Heat might just have to suck it up and take the risk if he keeps putting up these numbers. He's young, a good starting big man, and I bet he enjoys living in Miami.  Roll the dice.

Yeah there are a lot of issues a team can have with players. Not being able to get a free agent because your big turned out to be a franchise player isn't a bad one. It would be nice if they had his bird rights though for extra roster flexibility. They are limited in what they can do trading as well. I don't remember the exact details but I remember reading last year if their first round pick in the 2015 didn't go to Philadelphia they wouldn't be able to trade a first round pick for a while. Worth it though. At the very least Winslow will be a great defender. 

It would be a total ESPN move to have the best sportswriter in the world on staff, right as the NBA season is heating up, and not use him.

How anyone could blame Simmons for this is beyond me. They wanted Grantland dead long before Simmons took his editors back. That they aren't using Zach fucking Lowe should prove how little they value quality of content.

You can blame Simmons for Grantland's fall overall, but not for the timing. Assuming the mouse wanted Grantland dead, it should have pulled the plug when they "fired" Simmons. As for why no Lowe and Co., maybe they weren't bright enough to have the option of having grantland writers contracts write for both that site and the mothership? Perhaps they have to renegotiate or want contract extensions first?

You can blame Simmons for Grantland's fall overall, but not for the timing. Assuming the mouse wanted Grantland dead, it should have pulled the plug when they "fired" Simmons. As for why no Lowe and Co., maybe they weren't bright enough to have the option of having grantland writers contracts write for both that site and the mothership? Perhaps they have to renegotiate or want contract extensions first?

Then that makes it even less sense to keep grantland around after canning Simmons. I guess the test case for that would be was Keri working on two contracts, one with grantland and one with ESPN proper for his work on Baseball Tonight?

I'm sure it's a contract thing with Lowe (and the other contracted Grantland writers).  Probably renegotiating since he's not going to be a Grantland exclusive anymore.  I don't think ESPN is just going to cut ties with Lowe/Barnwell/Keri.  They don't want those guys ending up somewhere else.  With the NBA access and new family, I don't think Lowe is bouncing from ESPN anytime soon.  It will be interesting to see if those guys do have the option to leave since technically their contracts are changing now.

down to 3 teams that haven't won a game (New Orleans, Philly & Brooklyn) and 1 undefeated team (Golden St.).

Lakers won! Byron changed the rotation by taking out Kelly/Bass/Huertas for MWP/Black/Nance Jr. How Tarik Black wasn't in the rotation to start the season, I dunno....Must have missed preseason games or something. I know they play Kelly based on him being a "stretch-4", but his 3-pt shooting hasn't been very good much of his pro career & he's not good on D. Team needs a little more hustle and Black brings that.