DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I think Steph Curry has ended any of that residual Rockets fan whining about the MVP.

I'm not a Rockets fan, but I maintain Harden should have won it last year.

MVP of week one this year is damn sure Steph though.

Why? Obviously I am a Warriors partisan, but I don't even think Harden had a particular good argument. Curry was the best player on an all time great team, and had a spectacular season. Harden scored more, but also played more minutes and had a higher usage.

Harden had the least amount of help out of anyone in the top 6 West teams. That he was able to grab the two seed with Ariza as the number 2 option for a good chunk of the season is incredible.

I would have given it to him. Using the minutes and usage against him is faulty logic in my mind. I understand the idea, but in this specific case they needed the ball in his hands as much as possible.

I think the elimination game basically proved Harden was more valuable. Because when he finally had a bad game against a good team, the rest of the team looked like they didn't belong in the NBA, much less the Western Conference Finals. Harden led the league in win shares. He carried a good team to the WCF. Steph was the best player on the most loaded team in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, Curry was fantastic last year. But Harden was the most valuable player.

Hell, even their peers agreed.

I don't disagree with most of that but Curry makes everything easier for his teammates. Aside from his ability to score his handles break down the entire defense and he's a tremendous passer. He's the leader on the court at all times.  Green and Thompson and Iggy are all very talented but what are they without Curry, we don't know.  Curry is the reason for them getting good looks. Actually, I watched quite a bit of Iggy when he was in Philly and I never thought "here's a top player"

Dwight at 80% of what he was is still a top big man too.

You can also make the argument that the Warriors defense helps their offense in a lot of ways but that's another story.  Curry has more help but he's by far the reason why they are so great.

Steph would have had better counting stats last year if he didn't sit out so many fourth quarters because his team was so f'n good.

Harden's an awesome player but Curry was the MVP last season. Harden's best attribute is his ability to drive and get to the FT line. I mean, he can shoot and pass. But the thing he is better at than anyone else in basketball is drawing fouls. That's wildly important because it helps other teammates get a chance to score easy points and also eliminate talented players from the other team in the process.

But Steph's best trait is HE IS THE BEST SHOOTER WHO HAS EVER LIVED. There's absolutely no fucking way to guard him, especially not in the retooled offense GSW put in place last season. He has to be guarded essentially anywhere on the court in a half-court offense. He's the best player ever at shooting off-the-dribble from distance. And any sort of scheme to keep him from shooting just ends up worthless because he's also maybe the best passer in the league, too.

There's absolutely no fucking way to guard him, especially not in the retooled offense GSW put in place last season. 

Kawhi Leonard would disagree. Having said that, there is no way anyone but Curry deserved the MVP last season. 

Speaking of Kawhi... 4 blocks, 2 steals and 14 rebounds to go along with his 18 points. Carmelo shot 4 of 17 and 2 of his shots were over Aldridge.  Spurs defense looking scary good after the loss to OKC. They have given up 5 total fast break points in the last 3 games. 

More Tim Duncan stats because somebody has to represent Old Man Riverwalk after Tim, Tony and Manu became the trio with the most wins in NBA history 

16 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists.

Most wins (954) by a player on one team in NBA history,

Tied Gary Payton with most NBA games played

Warriors win by 50. Uh oh

Yeah, I was just looking at box scores and seen that Curry only had 30...in 28 minutes.  He is playing with so much confidence that I honestly don't think there is a shot he wouldn't take.  If you give him enough space to get a shot up within 25 feet of the basket, he is going to put up a shot.  You have to guard him differently than anyone in history, and it still doesn't matter.  He's such a good ball handler he's still going to get enough space to get a shot up. 

Also, scariest thing about the GSW beatdown last night?

Memphis was up one at the end of the first.

Their biggest strength as a team is their ability to score a whole lot of points in a short amount of time.  They don't really care about the shot clock.  They get a lot of turnovers that lead to fast breaks.  They shoot an astronomical number of threes, and everyone on the team has a green light to put up any shot on the court.  They can just plain run other teams off the court.

Their biggest strength as a team is their ability to score a whole lot of points in a short amount of time. They don't really care about the shot clock. They get a lot of turnovers that lead to fast breaks. They shoot an astronomical number of threes, and everyone on the team has a green light to put up any shot on the court. They can just plain run other teams off the court.

Yeah, they took the two middle quarters by 20 and 25.

Their biggest strength as a team is their ability to score a whole lot of points in a short amount of time. They don't really care about the shot clock. They get a lot of turnovers that lead to fast breaks. They shoot an astronomical number of threes, and everyone on the team has a green light to put up any shot on the court. They can just plain run other teams off the court.

Yeah, they took the two middle quarters by 20 and 25.

I heard a stat that last season that Shaun Livingston led the league in 4th quarter usage.  That is because Steph Curry didn't play in a shitload of 4th quarters.