DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not going to lie. Every year I think back to 2003 and Rippa, Dean and maybe Ed saying to beware Dusty's love of veteran presence and that the team wouldn't hold up. 

This is the first time ever that anyone has confused Dean and Bill.  I anxiously await more to come.

But at least someone remembered me!  Whee!

Shit, was it Bill? I wanted to add his name too because I could swear Dean was also saying the same to me, especially after the game 6 loss. I was just like, "naw, they're gonna come back, they're fine!" For a second there, when Wood hit that homerun, I thought I was right.

*Pretends all the Nationals are secretly Montreal Expos*

You could instead pretend that the Marlins are Expos!

And this probably belongs in the hot stove-ish thread, but I hope the Nationals don't regress into an embarrassment again. As much fun as shit like printing "Natinals" on jerseys or Riggleman quitting midseason was, it's better for baseball if there's one less team that's a dumpster fire. Then again, man, it sure seems like the Nationals are drawn towards shooting themselves in the foot. For as much success as they've had, it's really hard to ignore shutting down Stras, signing Papelbon, etc.

As for the Schwarber tape measure shot, this Dave Kingman blast is probably the closest to Schwarber's bomb I have ever seen.

I'll always be partial to Sammy's nuclear bomb in Game 2 of the 2003 NLCS just for Lofton's reaction to where it landed (sadly not shown).

For some reason, they aren't letting all of Canada out of work early today to watch the Blue Jays game, so I will be stuck at my desk for the first half of the game, and then I need to rush home to catch the final 3 innings, if traffic doesn't suck.

Glenallen Hill's bomb is still the high water mark, although KB's homer from a couple months ago comes close. At first, I thought Schwarbs homer would top them both and I'm still surprised they're stopping the distance at the sign. I thought a projection is made for how far it would travel.

By the way, while not as impressive, Schwarber hit another monster shot late in game 3, but it wound up foul to the right of the foul pole. The nutty thing about that foul ball was that the ball left the park and it didn't have a lot of loft on it. It was a line drive shot that someone outside said cleared the buses parked on the street.

And if we're talking playoffs, I'm partial to Sammy's homer in game 2, but Schwarber's shot was so impressive just for how high and far the ball traveled. That kid has got some Babe Ruth DNA.

For some reason, they aren't letting all of Canada out of work early today to watch the Blue Jays game, so I will be stuck at my desk for the first half of the game, and then I need to rush home to catch the final 3 innings, if traffic doesn't suck.

I bailed on a call for work. No way am I relying on DVRing it only for a student to spoil that shit for me. The joys of being on call.

Wait, I thought Schwarber's HR cleared the sign? Did it hit the top of it? Looked like went well over!

Glenallen Hill's bomb is still the high water mark

Good grief - I'd forgotten about that one. The relatively low trajectory and incredible speed on Glenllen's shot are just...wow. What an amazing home run.

For me, the two biggest home runs I can remember are: Mark McGwire, as a rookie, hitting a home run into the upper deck in straightaway center field at Tiger Stadium. 440 feet to the fence - into the upper deck. Unbelievable; and then Andres Galaragga taking Kevin Brown deep in Florida:

There's also McGwire's "538 foot" home run off Randy Johnson at the Kingdome...

I was there for the Galarraga home run.  We were convinced he'd hit it past the apocryphal 575' Mantle HR out of Tigers Stadium.  There was a loud boo when it was announced at 529'.

The best part was Galarraga's next AB was against Dennis Cook, who gave zero fucks. 

This is how it turned out:

52023352-colorado-rockies-first-baseman-Cook threw straight at Galarraga's head.  Twice.

I was there for the Galarraga home run. We were convinced he'd hit it past the apocryphal 575' Mantle HR out of Tigers Stadium.

Mantle's was 565' and it was Griffith Stadium.

Another favorite: Big Cecil hitting one out of Tiger Stadium, something only done something like 3 times by a right-handed hitter.

I bailed on a call for work. No way am I relying on DVRing it only for a student to spoil that shit for me. The joys of being on call.

Wait, I thought Schwarber's HR cleared the sign? Did it hit the top of it? Looked like went well over!

It hit the "I" in the sign and the settled on top of the sign. The Cubs are going to leave it there throughout the postseason and will be going up today or tomorrow to place an acrylic container over it to protect it from the elements.

• Like 1