DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There was probably a time in Clancy Brown's life where he'd have made a heck of a live-action Luthor too. I'll co-sign the love for him. Whenever I read a comic Luthor is in, it's Clancy's voice I hear. 

While we're praising iconic DCAU voice work, Michael Ironside crushes it as Darkseid, CCH Pounder crushes it as Amanda Waller, Ron Pearlman is a great Clayface, we could go on and on. Conroy and Hamill get all the praise, but there was an endless wealth of voice talent on those shows. 

That Superman animated series is underrated in general. People love Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, and the Justice League shows, but I very rarely see that level of praise for Superman TAS. Yet I think a lot of the best stuff in the DCAU is in that series. 

DCAU voices are usually what I hear when i read the comics. I'm still disappointed we never got CCH Pounder as a live action Waller. 

As big of a Batman Beyond fan I am I actually think its probably the worst of the four you mentioned. Superman would probably place 3rd for me. This is only because I'm a ridiculously big fan of the JL shows and count them as one thing. They are actually no. 1 for me though I totally get putting Batman and Superman ahead of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Superman had the greatness of Gilbert as Mr. Mxyptlk. Hard to beat that. 

Literally the best. 

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

DCAU voices are usually what I hear when i read the comics. I'm still disappointed we never got CCH Pounder as a live action Waller. 

If rumours are to be believed, the studio wanted Oprah for the Suicide Squad movie. Unfortunately, if they're looking for that kind of name recognition then Pounder wasn't going to get a look. 

As big of a Batman Beyond fan I am I actually think its probably the worst of the four you mentioned. Superman would probably place 3rd for me. This is only because I'm a ridiculously big fan of the JL shows and count them as one thing. They are actually no. 1 for me though I totally get putting Batman and Superman ahead of them.

Batman Beyond is something I like and it had its moments, but it was operating at the huge disadvantage of mostly being its own new thing. The other shows we're talking about got to play with decades worth of existing stories and characters, so it makes sense that they'd be better overall. Especially once you get to the Justice League shows and the Timm team get exponentially more toys to play with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If rumours are to be believed, the studio wanted Oprah for the Suicide Squad movie. Unfortunately, if they're looking for that kind of name recognition then Pounder wasn't going to get a look. 

How the hell did they expect to get Oprah?

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Batman Beyond is something I like and it had its moments, but it was operating at the huge disadvantage of mostly being its own new thing. The other shows we're talking about got to play with decades worth of existing stories and characters, so it makes sense that they'd be better overall. Especially once you get to the Justice League shows and the Timm team get exponentially more toys to play with. 

This was exactly BB's issue. I love it, but it was clearly difficult having so few known toys to play with with.

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:
How the hell did they expect to get Oprah?

This was exactly BB's issue. I love it, but it was clearly difficult having so few known toys to play with with.

Re: Oprah, no idea.

Another issue with Batman Beyond was that they'd occasionally have a decent idea for a villain here or there, but a lot of the best stuff used villains from Bruce's time (Joker, Freeze, Ra's). Or they'd tease Bruce jumping into action occasionally, and the music would start riffing on Batman: TAS. So while I'm watching this show, it's occasionally reminding me that there's this other show that I enjoyed way more. In my mind, that always worked against it. 

Why did they never bring Blight back after the first season? The show really could have benefited from having someone like him as Terry's long-term archenemy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Why did they never bring Blight back after the first season? The show really could have benefited from having someone like him as Terry's long-term archenemy.

Agreed. I think it was something about wanting to avoid another corporate villain like Lex, but dammit Blight was such a cool villain for Terry. 

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

I like Cryer as Lex quite a bit though I kind of agree with Matt. I like it when Lex has a least a few shades of grey in character to keep him from being too comically evil. Clancy Brown though is pretty much like Conroy as Batman where no one will ever likely quite match up for me. Same with Hamill as Joker though live vs. animation is never quite fair.

When I think of DC characters voices, it's the animated ones through the DCAU. Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill's Joker especially then Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor and Arleen Sorkin's Harley Quinn.

16 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There was probably a time in Clancy Brown's life where he'd have made a heck of a live-action Luthor too. I'll co-sign the love for him. Whenever I read a comic Luthor is in, it's Clancy's voice I hear. 

While we're praising iconic DCAU voice work, Michael Ironside crushes it as Darkseid, CCH Pounder crushes it as Amanda Waller, Ron Pearlman is a great Clayface, we could go on and on. Conroy and Hamill get all the praise, but there was an endless wealth of voice talent on those shows. 

That Superman animated series is underrated in general. People love Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, and the Justice League shows, but I very rarely see that level of praise for Superman TAS. Yet I think a lot of the best stuff in the DCAU is in that series. 

Andrea Romano deserves a ton of credit for the voice casting she's done.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Out of those mentioned, Batman: The Animated Series is by far my #1. Love that show. I'd then have Justice League in second though I preferred that to Justice League Unlimited then Batman of the Future in 3rd place. Liked the premise in the latter than an elder Bruce Wayne mentors a teenage Batman. I did like what they did with the original Joker and Bane. Out of the new baddies, I only remember Blight and Inque. Seen very little of Superman: The Animated Series as it wasn't shown to the extent the others were on TV here in the UK. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Seen very little of Superman: The Animated Series as it wasn't shown to the extent the others were on TV here in the UK. 

If you can get DC Universe then you really need to catch Superman. It is so damn good.

• Thanks 1

Holy fuck..   Ozy's ego once again...     I loved that through all that Sister Night made sure to tell Will it's only going to be a couple nights and he countered with Dr. Manhattan could have done more.  Both amazingly strong characters and the way they explored genetics,  her not knowing him but they shared so many similarities and went on to be police officers etc. 

Damon and HBO outdid themselves this time.   

She was there all along....  

HBO-Watchmen-Poster.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=

• Like 3

Masterpiece. HBO better stay in the Lindelof business. And while I'd want more, they should probably stop there. The farther they go after this direct sequel the comic, the more they risk diminishing returns. But this was on par with The Leftovers. As someone who watches too much TV, I don't think it's recency bias to say this credibly belongs high on a best of the decade list.

Surprised they even made it come full circle with Looking Glass seeing Veidt in action and giving him a whack. On top of everything else in this one, that was a welcome cherry on top. 

• Like 2

Amazing. They stuck the landing. They really did it. This was fantastic storytelling and a conclusion I didn't see coming, but was both saddened by and satisfied with.

Look, if they want to make more of this, I'm all in. If this is just a one season thing, then I'm fine with that too.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Eivion said:

I like Cryer as Lex quite a bit though I kind of agree with Matt. I like it when Lex has a least a few shades of grey in character to keep him from being too comically evil. Clancy Brown though is pretty much like Conroy as Batman where no one will ever likely quite match up for me. Same with Hamill as Joker though live vs. animation is never quite fair.

I've not seen Cryer's take on Luthor, but I'm always going to be partial to Rosenbaum as Luthor, especially in those early Smallville seasons.

• Like 1

I liked a lot of what John Byrne did with The Man of Steel reboot but his take on Lex as the love child of Wilson Fisk and Gordon Gekko ruined the character for me. Lex should always be a purple costumed evil scientist whose hatred always ruins his success. Cryer embodies at least part of that.   

• Like 2