DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL - WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

But let's not kid ourselves - Manning looked terrible tonight.

He looked better late, but the arm strength is seemingly gone for good. Kubiak's offense would be a terrible fit for him if he was still in his prime, much less now. When he started calling plays no huddle, they got better. But damn he hit some ugly completions.

I think Reid is awful in many ways but I think people blaming him for that at the end are being unfair. That is a common call in that situation - do a run play, if your RB cranks out 20 yards you start trying, if he gets stuffed you let the half end. I've seen teams do that a hundred times, I don't think I've ever seen a RB fumble when doing it so its a pretty low percentage situation. In fact when Denver didn't do that in the playoffs in 2013, people complained about Fox not trying to do something at the end of the 4th.

Man NFL GamePass can suck a dick that there's no way to end your "free trial" phase before the 7 days it up so when I go to watch the game an hour after it's over it's audio only, so I end up looking at the score and I missed THAT.  Fuckin' A.

I disagree with Burgundy, Peyton had a laser rocket arm at one point.

I don't think it's his arm strength that's the problem though, he's wildly inaccurate. There were so many passes tonight where he overthrew or under threw the receiver or just made bad decisions.

Age caught up with him finally.

• Like 1

I pretty much felt it would be downhill for him after the Super Bowl loss. I don't know about arm strength although I remember at one point tonight 19 yards was the longest pass of the Bronco's season which I thought was staggering a game and a half into the season for a Manning team. He seems to be a lot more inaccurate this year and I'm not sure his current receivers are as good as the guys that have left. I get they weren't going to get paid in Denver and might as well cash in on Manning making them look better than they were. I kept hearing them talk tonight about how Manning isn't running his own offense since like his second year in the NFL. I know Gary has his own brand of offense and he's an accomplished OC in the league. It just seems strange to me that this is Manning's final year and Gary isn't letting Manning run the offense he knows with the guys that know it. Maybe more shocking that Manning agreed to comeback this year to run an offense that wasn't his. All that being said their D looks incredible through two games. Their offense just looks really bad. Almost zero running game in two weeks and the passing game looking bad. Looks like a ten win season and a first round exit in the playoffs. 

I don't think it's his arm strength that's the problem though, he's wildly inaccurate. There were so many passes tonight where he overthrew or under threw the receiver or just made bad decisions.

I think his inaccuracy is because of his loss of arm strength. Reminds me of when a pitcher starts losing his fastball so he rares back and tries to overthrow and ends up losing the strike zone. I'm not an expert on footwork and all that but it looks to me like on deep balls he's putting so much into getting the ball out to where it needs to go he can't get any touch on it.

Age definitely caught up with him. Still think they can win a Super Bowl with him tho if their defense and running game continues to play big. Don't think I'd say that if Brrrrooocck Osweiler was starting.

Nah, Peyton never really had that strong an arm, not even back in Tennessee. Definitely wasn't bad, tho.

Nah, Peyton never really had that strong an arm, not even back in Tennessee. Definitely wasn't bad, tho.

This person didn't get the reference AT ALL.

I think his inaccuracy is because of his loss of arm strength. Reminds me of when a pitcher starts losing his fastball so he rares back and tries to overthrow and ends up losing the strike zone. I'm not an expert on footwork and all that but it looks to me like on deep balls he's putting so much into getting the ball out to where it needs to go he can't get any touch on it.

Age definitely caught up with him. Still think they can win a Super Bowl with him tho if their defense and running game continues to play big. Don't think I'd say that if Brrrrooocck Osweiler was starting.

That's exactly what the problem is. He's got no arm left at all so he's having to give everything he's got on every throw. That, combined with what looks like a bit of a loss of grip strength, makes it so the ball just goes all over the place. He's inaccurate and the ball doesn't even spiral that much.