DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

I'd like a biological breakdown as to how he's bulletproof/nukeproof etc, how his body works in terms of sustenance and the cardio vascular system.

We did this once in the old Cloverfield thread.

Poor old board.

I'd like a biological breakdown as to how he's bulletproof/nukeproof etc, how his body works in terms of sustenance and the cardio vascular system.

We did this once in the old Cloverfield thread.

Poor old board.

I remember that.  Even Naimark chimed in. 

It is funny how much bad science the movies feed you, yet you accept it as factual.

BULLETS DO NOT SPARK WHEN THEY HIT A BRICK WALL~!

NOTHING EXPLODES IN OUTER SPACE UNLESS IT IS A FUCKING STAR~!

Ha, that reminds me of a guy on DNTO (a Canadian radio program) who told a story about his dad daring him to throw a bare electrical cord (plugged into the outlet) into the tub with him, to prove to his son that you couldn't get killed that way. 

Turns out you can't. I guess if someone throws a toaster or a radio into the tub with you, you might get a shock or something, but it's no biggie. 

Ha, that reminds me of a guy on DNTO (a Canadian radio program) who told a story about his dad daring him to throw a bare electrical cord (plugged into the outlet) into the tub with him, to prove to his son that you couldn't get killed that way. 

Turns out you can't. I guess if someone throws a toaster or a radio into the tub with you, you might get a shock or something, but it's no biggie. 

No it's a biggie: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/appliances-in-the-bath-minimyth.htm

No it's a biggie: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/appliances-in-the-bath-minimyth.htm

I feel doubly lied to.

ALSO: obviously I should always use bubble bath, to limit the severity of the shock.

I'm surprised y'all are not hyped as I am for this new Godzilla. Trailers can be misleading but damn...  That looks AMAZING. Plus, Walt White up in this.

It looks like a rediculous spectacle filled with CGI and lots of big destructive action sequences to distract from the fact that there is no semblance of a plot. I'll be there opening night.

Really? I don't know man. It's only a couple minutes of footage but the tone seemed a little more serious than big dumb action movie. I have high hopes for this, I like the cast...

Note: There is NOTHING wrong with a big dumb action movie. I love them.

I'm surprised y'all are not hyped as I am for this new Godzilla. Trailers can be misleading but damn...  That looks AMAZING. Plus, Walt White up in this.

It looks like a rediculous spectacle filled with CGI and lots of big destructive action sequences to distract from the fact that there is no semblance of a plot. I'll be there opening night.

Really? I don't know man. It's only a couple minutes of footage but the tone seemed a little more serious than big dumb action movie. I have high hopes for this, I like the cast...

As do I. Hence my saying I'd be there opening night

Peter Berg has announced he's developing The Rundown 2

http://www.movieweb.com/news/peter-berg-is-developing-the-rundown-2-for-dwayne-johnson

I quite liked The Rundown but a sequel, after a decade has passed, for a movie that didn't crack $100 million? Without Seann Williams Scott too?  Odd choice.

Here's the trailer for Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt's new movie.  It includes an obligatory "Tom Cruise riding motorcycle" shot:

Emily Blunt got into serious shape for this thing.  She looks lean and badass here.

I think he meant big dumb super-serious action movies, like we've had for the past decade

I think he meant big dumb super-serious action movies, like we've had for the past decade

Name them. I've got Olympus Has Fallen, World War Z, the other movie about the White House, Battleship, was Cowboys and Aliens serious? Couldn't have been..

Anyway, this looks better than all of those...

Peter Berg has announced he's developing The Rundown 2

http://www.movieweb.com/news/peter-berg-is-developing-the-rundown-2-for-dwayne-johnson

I quite liked The Rundown but a sequel, after a decade has passed, for a movie that didn't crack $100 million? Without Seann Williams Scott too?  Odd choice.

Here's the trailer for Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt's new movie.  It includes an obligatory "Tom Cruise riding motorcycle" shot:

Emily Blunt got into serious shape for this thing.  She looks lean and badass here.

I, uh, hmm, what, uh, what the fuck is this even supposed to be? I got about a dozen different vibes from this movie, like it's trying to be Cloud Atlas, Halo, Primer, District 9, 40K, Starcraft, etc.

I support this not so serious Godzilla revival movement in sprit (the world could use more kaiju movies), but it really does depart from what the first Godzilla move was actually all about aka a cautionary fable about the use and abuse of atomic energy or the use of nuclear weapons.. 

Hopefully that is what Garth Edwards is trying to recapture.  The previous 1988 Godzilla re-image lacked the emotional punch of the original 1950's classic because it was completely lacking in the "why." (We are Dr. Frankenstein and Godzilla is Adam.  Godzilla is a monster of our own making).

No one really worries about MAD anymore and the bad science of kaiju movies has been trumped by a better understanding of the perils of nuclear power so at first, I wondered why there had to be another re-image of Godzilla in this day in time in the first place.....

Then you had Fukushima Daichi....  No better time for another Godzilla movie...

• Like 2

Ironic that a vast portion of my childhood was spent watching kaiju, and now in my adult years, TEPCO equity has resulted in my most profitable venture yet. Of course, I still believe the argument that nuclear energy is the best alternative to fossil fuels given the current costs and inefficiencies on renewables. Damnit, I want Gamera's reboot origins to center on the prohibitive expenses of solar energy and how it's impacting tortoise migration patterns. But I digress.