DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

Because WWE hits a 10 on this meter about once or twice a decade, and we get put through so many things that are less than perfect so that when things that are perfect AND meant to make us react in a certain way, there's no shame in it.

It's like Pixar. If they have done their job correctly I am going to bawl my eyes out at some point in the movie and I will not be embarrassed about it. And most likely I'm not the only one who did.

• Like 2

Enjoyed the matches on a whole, no bad ones in sight.  The ladder match was wonderfully brutal, but I was still buzzing over the women's match.  Will see it again but it's not often one can say a women's match should have main evented.   I was really hoping they did.

They keep talking like it's a foregone conclusion that a women's match will headline a Takeover special, but if it wasn't Bayley/Banks when will it ever happen.  You can say that the NXT title match has to go on last, but then you have a WWE Title vs US Title match the next night that was halfway down the card.  You want to protect the men (jeez, I can't believe I'm saying that) then have Owens come out and interrupt Stephanie and say he's tired of waiting and wants Balor to fight, now. 

You want to protect the men (jeez, I can't believe I'm saying that) then have Owens come out and interrupt Stephanie and say he's tired of waiting and wants Balor to fight, now. 

What's funny is that is exactly what I thought was happening

But yeah - they pretty much are out of women's matches that could headline a show at least for the next 6 months or so.

I have no idea who this Kana chick is and have never seen anything from her other than that picture, but I desperately want her in NXT now

Well she was shown (and acknowledged) in the crowd of the Takeover show and there are reports in Japan that she has signed with the WWE.

Part of the reason - we have been making the references

For a not-huge woman, Kana is great at playing a monster. Her freakish strength helps there, of course. I wish I could find the clip of when she deadlifted Aja Kong up and held her in the air, almost wearing Kong like the world's heaviest coat.

Saw the show again on the WWE Network stream, and I really undersold that ladder match. On second watch, it was nasty. Owens was pretty vicious and both guys took an asswhooping. One of the top ladder matches from the company in the past decade, to be honest. 

That Villains/Blake and Murphy match was also better on second watch and the false finishes and Blue Pants/Alexa showdown leading to the Whirling Dervish was very well-laid out and executed. Loved it. 

Baron Corbin being booked in 10-second squashes all the time is never going to help the poor kid. Give him more matches with guys like Rhino and Joe that can bring something out of him. There are tons of guys on the main roster doing nothing right now who could go down and weekly put 10-12 minute matches together with him and help him actually grow as a worker. Crazy, I know.

• Like 2

The ten second squashes are much better than the shitty two minute squashes though. And squashes are awesome.

I agree that squashes can be awesome and harken back to the good ol' days...but this kid is specifically in NXT to learn to be someone that can give the WWE more than 10 seconds. It's not a role he should be in at this point if he's going to ever get any better.

That makes sense, but we also don't know what he's doing when the cameras are off. It's possible they have him out there doing the quick squashes to keep him fresh in everyone's mind while he works on his longer match game in the PC. That's at least the impression I got from seeing how good he looked vs Joe. So I think the quick squashes are fine if he's developing the ability to work longer matches in the PC (and it looks like he is) while also being programmed with guys he can learn a ton from, like Samoa Joe. 

That makes sense, but we also don't know what he's doing when the cameras are off. It's possible they have him out there doing the quick squashes to keep him fresh in everyone's mind while he works on his longer match game in the PC. 

I think this is it.  They have one hour a week.  Throwing him out there for a quick squash keeps him fresh and makes him look dominant, while also basically keeping him on the backburner until they're ready to heat him up more.

That makes sense, but we also don't know what he's doing when the cameras are off. It's possible they have him out there doing the quick squashes to keep him fresh in everyone's mind while he works on his longer match game in the PC. 

I think this is it.  They have one hour a week.  Throwing him out there for a quick squash keeps him fresh and makes him look dominant, while also basically keeping him on the backburner until they're ready to heat him up more.

Its also a heat thing for him now where he purposely doesn't go long or try to have "good matches" when he's wiping out some guy in Dragon Ball Z gear.  Because the crowd is tired of it, he keeps doing it.  That's the gimmick.

My favorite character thing Baron has done so far was bragging about his high school state championship rings. That was some Al Bundy type shit that he could mine further as a heel.

• Like 1

If only his resume consisted of things like...

I lead a raid in World of Warcraft!

I prestiged three times in Call of Duty!

I'm a secret shopper and I get paid to buy groceries!

• Like 1