DVDVR Message Board

"One-Hit Wonder" Actors/Actors who never made it

ArtVanderlay

The other day, this girl came into the shop who looked just like Fairuza Balk. And I was going to say to her she looked like Fairuza Balk, but then I realised she was far too young to have known who Fairuza Balk was. So I said nothing.

What happened to Fairuza Balk? Was the last film she made that anyone watched seriously Almost Famous?

IIRC, someone on here said she was running a magic store in LA.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you mean Ted Levine will be Captain Stottlemeyer forever.

There is no human who looks more completely the opposite depending on whether he has a mustache or not.

Ted Levine w/ Mustache =  t.v. actor who plays bumbling middle-aged bearueacrat who rolls his eyes a lot

Ted Levine w/o Mustache = movie actor who plays troubled villains or experienced loners with poetic anxiety and a drinking problem

I don't think there's any facial hair configuration that makes him less terrifying.  With him it's mostly a matter of whether he is wearing clothing from the present or the future (the present being some time between 1987 and 1995 and the future being the same clothes but with, like, a shiny duster and sunglasses).

The other day, this girl came into the shop who looked just like Fairuza Balk. And I was going to say to her she looked like Fairuza Balk, but then I realised she was far too young to have known who Fairuza Balk was. So I said nothing.

What happened to Fairuza Balk? Was the last film she made that anyone watched seriously Almost Famous?

She does a lot of music and art on the side between direct-to-VOD films.

I think you mean Ted Levine will be Captain Stottlemeyer forever.

There is no human who looks more completely the opposite depending on whether he has a mustache or not.

Ted Levine w/ Mustache =  t.v. actor who plays bumbling middle-aged bearueacrat who rolls his eyes a lot

Ted Levine w/o Mustache = movie actor who plays troubled villains or experienced loners with poetic anxiety and a drinking problem

Counterpoint: Ted Levine on The Bridge.  Some of column A, some of column B.  No mustache but starring in a TV show playing a troubled but caring cop with a dark past.

• 8 months later...

I was watching the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD recently and, um, well, every Indy love interest?

Karen Allen will only ever be Marion Ravenwood.

Alison Doodley....was she ever in anything else?

Man, you'd think even Kate Capshaw could have used the Spielberg connection to show up in more films, but she didn't.  

49 minutes ago, Reed said:

Alison Doody was in Major League II which was like 5 years after Last Crusade. I remember when that came out going "HEY! IT'S THE LADY FROM LAST CRUSADE!!!"

She took a lot of time off to start a family and raise her kids

Apparently after she got divorced is when she decided to get back into acting

Seems she is doing more UK TV work now

1 hour ago, Reed said:

Man, you'd think even Kate Capshaw could have used the Spielberg connection to show up in more films, but she didn't.  

From a couple interviews with Capshaw, I got the impression she basically put her career aside after she met Speilberg so she could concentrate on running the family,  She and Speilberg both came into the relationship with kids from previous marriages and after they got married, they had 3 children together and adopted two more (7 kids in total).

Probably doesn't count given his music career, but Eminem hasn't been in squat on screen since 8 Mile.

The girl that played Newt in Aliens hasn't been seen since Aliens.  She didn't even make it to Alien 3.  Probably not coincidental how a lot of the one hits we've mentioned are kids like Peter Ostrum and Danny Lloyd.

Alex Winter is the Marty Jannetty of Bill & Ted.

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The girl that played Newt in Aliens hasn't been seen since Aliens.  She didn't even make it to Alien 3.  Probably not coincidental how a lot of the one hits we've mentioned are kids like Peter Ostrum and Danny Lloyd.

She's been seen (as an adult) on the special features of the DVD and Blu-Ray. I think she was on the 30th Anniversary Panel at Comic-Con last month as well. Apparently she agreed to be in a fan film last year as well... but that would be the first acting job she'd taken since Aliens.

Recently Michael Biehn said that a literal sequel to Alien and Aliens with his character and a grown Newt is still on the back burner somewhere, because Sigourney doesn't want to leave it laying with Alien Resurrection being her final bow-out in the series. Cross your fingers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Alison Doody was in Major League II which was like 5 years after Last Crusade. I remember when that came out going "HEY! IT'S THE LADY FROM LAST CRUSADE!!!"

She took a lot of time off to start a family and raise her kids

Apparently after she got divorced is when she decided to get back into acting

Seems she is doing more UK TV work now

Kinda sad Doody wasn't in more stuff. The Elsa character could have just been a cartoonish, evil femme fatale character, but she gave her way more depth. She might have been the most interesting Indy love interest of them all. 

I still think one of the most powerful moments of The Last Crusade is Elsa watching the Nazis burning books at a rally and she has this look of utter terror and grief on her face as she realizes: "Oh, God. What the fuck have I gotten myself into? These people are psychopaths."

Even at the end I think Indy understood: Elsa wasn't necessarily evil.  She was just way too obsessed with the Holy Grail to focus on anything else.    

5 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

From a couple interviews with Capshaw, I got the impression she basically put her career aside after she met Speilberg so she could concentrate on running the family,  She and Speilberg both came into the relationship with kids from previous marriages and after they got married, they had 3 children together and adopted two more (7 kids in total).

That was what I figured.

I mean when you're Steven frigging Spielberg's wife, you can presumably snag yourself regular acting gigs in Hollywood. Unless you decide you're just not going to bother. 

On 8/12/2016 at 6:04 AM, Reed said:

I was watching the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD recently and, um, well, every Indy love interest?

Karen Allen will only ever be Marion Ravenwood.

Karen Allen might be best known for Raiders, but she's had a nice career. She was also in Animal House and Scrooged, and a ton of those made for tv movies type things, and the occasional role in a big budget movie. Yes I had to look up her IMDB, but its not like she disappeared after Indiana Jones. . . .

On 8/12/2016 at 8:24 AM, J.T. said:

Probably doesn't count given his music career, but Eminem hasn't been in squat on screen since 8 Mile.

Alex Winter is the Marty Jannetty of Bill & Ted.

Winter's primarily a director/writer/producer now.

Eminem was a perfectly competent actor in 8 mile. He was truly quite good in that film.

But then, as Samuel L Jackson critiqued him at the time: "But he was playing himself. That's not acting. Now I want to see him play a doctor or a lawyer."

• Like 1

Karen Allen has been working forever so you can file her under "working character actor" instead of "one and done". And as said before... Animal House? C'mon. I didn't even remember her in the Indy films, but I've not went back and watched them in forever. I blame Spielberg; most things he's done give me hives.

• Like 1