DVDVR Message Board

"One-Hit Wonder" Actors/Actors who never made it

ArtVanderlay

Pretty much everyone in Psycho:

Anthony Perkins never got passed it.

Vera Miles showed up in a few things but, again, it's pretty much the only thing she's known for.

John Gavin...was he even in anything else?

Obviously Janet Leigh was a big star before it (hence the shock of killing her off) but even now, if you say her name people just think "Psycho."

In the Hitchcock vein, you could say Tippi Hedren too. She's more of a two-movie hit wonder, I guess. 

Although that was more about old Alfred being a bit crazy and wrecking her career out of spite than her not having any talent.

She should have been a lot more famous than she was.

Saint was still working regularly up until Superman Returns in 2006, and she did a movie last year and a few episodes as a voice actor for The Legend of Korra over the last few years.

She's 91.

The icy blondes all probably could have done better.

Miles and Hedren were vocally pissed about Hitchcock's possessiveness and that affected their careers  

Novak didn't really have the acting talent to do anything beyond Vertigo 

I guess Leigh could never get over the shower thing. Once you've been in the most famous scene in history...where do you go? It's gonna follow you around forever.   

Speaking of B/GMW, I expected Danielle Fishel to be a bigger star than she's turned out to be.

Her pudginess meant she was already going to have problems getting roles post-BMW as she was viewed as being "fat" by idiot Hollywood execs, but then her weight actually did get out of control after the show was cancelled and I seem to remember she twice went on talk shows to show off her "new body" after crash dieting.

Might be too early to say this, but I can't see Paz Du La Heurta ever getting a big gig after Boardwalk Empire

She's quite talented in her own way, but she's crazy. And not like Katherine-Heigl-is-a-Diva type crazy. Like, genuinely crazy. It's part of her charm, but...yeah. 

Last I heard she was suing the producers for Nurse 3D for ending her career.

Might be too early to say this, but I can't see Paz Du La Heurta ever getting a big gig after Boardwalk Empire.

She's quite talented in her own way, but she's crazy. And not like Katherine-Heigl-is-a-Diva type crazy. Like, genuinely crazy. It's part of her charm, but...yeah.

Last I heard she was suing the producers for Nurse 3D for ending her career.

Yeah, she is, even though she has more movies coming out. Maybe she should be suing her agent for letting her do movies like Nurse 3D in the first place.

I'd never call Michael J. Fox a one-hit wonder. Because he did a lot of stuff after it.

But he will always be remembered as Marty McFly. Always.

And that's not a diss. But he was so amazing and endearing in that film,  nothing could have ever topped it. 

Dean Winters. I know he's worked, but he's never been the star of a show or his own vehicle. 

Chris Meloni. I don't know why he hasn't been in more. I mean, I do, SVU, but he should've tried to make the transition years ago...

What about Sam Worthington? He had a lot of hype following Avatar but everything he's done since its like he's been slowly falling off the top

...because he is a horrible actor.

Dude couldn't hide his Aussie accent if you held a gun to his head.  I just rewatched Terminator 4 (yeah, fuck you, I like that movie) and the guy still sounds like Crocodile Dundee half the time.

re Dean Winters: dude almost died.  Everything after that is gravy.

• Like 1

Dean Cain being in a direct to video WWE movie with the Big Show reminds me that I thought that he was going to be a big deal after Lois & Clark.  What happened, man? 

You're doing television instead of box office blockbusters and you even let yourself get fat...

Kilmer? Two words: "Doc" and "Holliday"

Makes me think of something Mike Nelson wrote after hearing that Val Kilmer had a reputation for being difficult, basically saying what the hell did Val Kilmer ever do that gave him the impression he had earned the right to be difficult?

• Like 1

You know how Bill Murray warned Johnny Depp about playing Hunter S Thompson? How if you play him once, you end up playing him for the rest of your life?

I think that happened to Val Kilmer when he played Jim Morrison.

• Like 3