DVDVR Message Board

"One-Hit Wonder" Actors/Actors who never made it

ArtVanderlay

I highly recommend Brown Sugar Saturday Nights on Bounce for the censored Blaxploitation classics.

Bounce is the only network where I have regularly caught Cotton Comes To Harlem and Black Belt Jones and they have shown Ruby, the Blacula movies, The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (with Rosey Greer), and JD's Revenge as a marathon every Halloween.

I tend to see Blaxploitation movies on El Rey every now and then and at least you can count on Rodriguez to show them uncensored after 9PM.

I'm so pissed that U-Verse doesn't have Bounce. TVOne use to be up on Blaxploitation and run entire Saturday blocks. Now it's all shitty reality shows, Good Times reruns, and live music (which isn't bad if you love Uncle Charlie Wilson).

How am I suppose to put people up on game that Will's mom on The Fresh Prince was the lead prostitute in the movie Trick Baby?

Honestly, The Best Man Holiday was one of the best movies I've seen over the last 5 years. Had that been a white cast, the Academy would have been drooling over it. The shock the media had that a non-Tyler Perry, predominantly Black movie won the box office that week was amazing.

• Like 3

Honestly, The Best Man Holiday was one of the best movies I've seen over the last 5 years. Had that been a white cast, the Academy would have been drooling over it. The shock the media had that a non-Tyler Perry, predominantly Black movie won the box office that week was amazing.

Oh, don't get me started. This might apply to every movie like that.

"NO ONE WAS SHOOTING AT THE THEATERS DURING STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON! YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELVES! GIVE YOURSELF A NICE ROUND OF APPLAUSE!"

"NO ONE WAS SHOOTING AT THE THEATERS DURING STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON! YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELVES! GIVE YOURSELF A NICE ROUND OF APPLAUSE!"

Any dumbass knew that there would be no shots fired at a showing of Straight Outta Compton since the median age of people who were around when NWA was at its peak is around 35 to 50 years old and we all became the Upper Middle Class Career Minded monster we hunted in college in very Nietzschean fashion.

There might have been an asswhippin' because someone did not silence their cell phone, but I don't think anyone would start poppin' caps.  You'd miss work on Monday.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it for what it was.  A good story with a good cast that was a by the numbers African American comedy-drama cash cow sort of movie.

It wouldn't have been an Oscar contender no more than This Is Where I Leave You or any of its other majority white cast counterparts.

And since when don't African American comedy-drama cash cow sort of movies win the box office on the weekend they open?   We come out in droves to support those sorts of movie, even the ones that suck.

Any dumbass knew that there would be no shots fired at a showing of Straight Outta Compton since the median age of people who were around when NWA was at its peak is around 35 to 50 years old and we all became the Upper Middle Class Career Minded monster we hunted in college in very Nietzschean fashion.

There might have been an asswhippin' because someone did not silence their cell phone, but I don't think anyone would start poppin' caps.  You'd miss work on Monday.

Also, in a post James Holmes world, are we really the most frightening people in the movie theater? You can survive loud talking and the screen brightness from someone constantly texting. Not so much when a heavily armed, crazed lunatic gunman thinking he is really a comic book character enters the fray.

• Like 2

A white friend of mine named David Beck is a professional comedian and "why white people are more terrifying than black people" has always been a part of his act.  Dude makes me laugh so hard my sides hurt.

• Like 1

Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions?

I mean, she did other stuff, including a stint on that terrible Sheen sitcom Anger Management (is that still on?).

But, yeah, I think everyone still remembers her for making out with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I mean, she did other stuff, including a stint on that terrible Sheen sitcom Anger Management (is that still on?).

But, yeah, I think everyone still remembers her for making out with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

She was a big part of the Hellboy movies.

She was also in both Hellboy movies.

Hell, boys, I'm pretty sure she was in some direct-to-video animated movies and even a video game or two. (Oddly, IMDB claims she was also the voice for the person Sarah Michelle Gellar was talking to on the phone, right before she got killed in Scream 2.)

However, Blair left the show in 2013.

Yeah, I think it was something about her calling Charlie Sheen unprofessional and him getting her fired.

I mean, I'm sorta surprised Charlie Sheen would get offended at someone calling him "unprofessional." Surely that would be like telling him water is wet or something? 

However, Blair left the show in 2013.

Yeah, I think it was something about her calling Charlie Sheen unprofessional and him getting her fired.

I mean, I'm sorta surprised Charlie Sheen would get offended at someone calling him "unprofessional." Surely that would be like telling him water is wet or something?

My guess is unprofessional at that point was code for he wanted to sleep with her and she laughed and said HELLBOY

• Like 2