DVDVR Message Board

Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge web browser

S.K.o.S.

Maybe this is better suited for the "SON OF A" thread because it's just me complaining, but I figure I won't be the only one who runs into some of this stuff.

My automatic install happened Saturday night, went smoothly, but the new Windows has crashed twice since then.  I hope that doesn't become a habit going forward.

In this Edge browser thing, for some reason if I right-click a link, "Save link as" is not one of the options that pops up.  Googling gives me nothing.  Apparently you just can't do this any more. 

Also the quote button on this website doesn't seem to work in Edge.  (It jumps to the reply box, but the post I'm trying to reply to is not quoted.)

Guess I'll be continuing to use Chrome for the foreseeable future.

I haven't opened Edge either. Windows 10 seems to work fine. There's an incredible amount of spam-type stuff in those pinned items in the start menu (Candy Crush Saga? USA Today?) but damn, anything's better than Windows 8.

Chrome is running pretty poorly. Flash is laggy and the omnibox typing sometimes shows up, sometimes does not.

The actual OS runs a bit smoother but I have a pretty beefy machine, so it's barely noticeable. Everything else is pretty much the same. A whole lot of noise signifying not a whole lot.

Chrome runs poorly because Google has ruined Chrome. Use Firefox.

As for Windows 10 vs anything else, I bought my laptop the day Windows 10 was released and it still had Windows 8.1 on it. So I used 8.1 for a day and that was enough for me. Windows 10 is so slick. I really like it, even more than 7.

I also used Edge for a little bit. Seems to have some interesting ideas, but I'll keep using Firefox for now.

Mozilla has done everything in their power to practically raise Firefox from the dead. Firefox was such a bloated piece of software that I wouldn't blame someone for using IE instead. These days, Chrome has so many processes going on in the background that it's ridiculous. Even on my gaming PC, which has a 250gb SSD and 16gb of RAM in it, runs Chrome like shit.

Maybe there's something wrong with my chrome set-up, like some of the extensions. It's just running so poorly for me and I've reinstalled it already. I prefer it to Firefox because of the extensions but I may have to switch if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Edit: it would appear to be one of the extensions I'm using. Now to find out which one.

Maybe there's something wrong with my chrome set-up, like some of the extensions. It's just running so poorly for me and I've reinstalled it already. I prefer it to Firefox because of the extensions but I may have to switch if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Did you try disabling the hardware acceleration option, in advanced settings? It seemed to help mine speed up, some. 

Mozilla has done everything in their power to practically raise Firefox from the dead. Firefox was such a bloated piece of software that I wouldn't blame someone for using IE instead. These days, Chrome has so many processes going on in the background that it's ridiculous. Even on my gaming PC, which has a 250gb SSD and 16gb of RAM in it, runs Chrome like shit.

Chrome has been pretty shitty for a while. Internet explorer 11 is the best running browser but I still use Firefox since I need the add ons. I have copyrights to protect and since I'm home all day now I just do the bulk of the work myself. Which means going to some dangerous sites as far as malware. Firefox add ons make it much safer.

One thing to keep in mind with chrome is that it has a built in flash player which works terribly. If you have adobe flash installed on your computer as well you will be running flash twice when on web sites. Which has a major negative impact on performance. You have to go to plug ins and disable one of them manually. Will help it run better. Still shouldn't run better than IE 11 especially on a 64 bit system but it will work better.

Firefox got kind of crappy for a while but it seems to run much better over the last few updates, at least for me on Windows 7.

Anyway, I am passing on Windows 10 for now. I could upgrade from 7 to 10 but it's a lot of what ifs, and because my laptop is a few years old anyway and is working fine right now, I'm better off just to wait until it lives out its life then buy a new system with Windows 10 later. It's not like support for 7 is about to fall off a cliff.

People on 8.1 I understand the desire to upgrade a lot more. Easier upgrade process, plus 8.1 is a tablet OS that does a lot of things wrong on PC.

Chrome runs fine for me in terms of loading pages and the like but it always causes my laptop's fan to get going. Firefox doesn't and I doubt Edge would, especially since Edge doesn't have any extensions yet. Similar to Craig, I have a decently spec'd PC with a SSD and 8gb of ram but yeah, Chrome seems to push it to the limit.

FWIW, installing Classic Shell on Windows 8 makes it work just Windows 7. I've been running it for over a year and have absolutely no issues. Standard Windows 8? Ugh, worst interface ever. But with Classic Shell, it's just fine.

• Like 1

Chrome was sluggish because of the extension Magic Actions for Youtube, I think. Seems to be running as expected now.

My expensive tank of a graphics card has always been a bit of POS that I should've returned but it's not making the transition to 10 all that well even with a clean uninstall and install.

Well, my wife went and upgraded her computer to 10.  I haven't gone too far into checking it out, but the layout is pretty nice.  Edge is nice if you wanted to draw over it (or just get an extension for Chrome/Firefox if/when available)  it's hard to tell how "snappy" it is because her PC is ungodly slow, even at 8GB RAM.  Could be a lot of files, or something else.  Still need to get that custom PC I've been sitting on setup.  But it sure looks a helluva lot nicer than 8.  Am fully expecting there's going to be bugs and odd features that will hopefully get fixed up in updates.

FWIW, installing Classic Shell on Windows 8 makes it work just Windows 7. I've been running it for over a year and have absolutely no issues. Standard Windows 8? Ugh, worst interface ever. But with Classic Shell, it's just fine.

Same here.  Hell, half the time I forget I even have 8.1.  I toyed around with 10 a little on my friend's laptop, and I'm in no hurry to switch, until a "Classic Shell" type mod is made for it.  They took away the tile page, but they are still pushing tiles in the start menu, and I want no part of it.

Found out why Chrome was heating up my laptop: rogue extension. I had a Norton extension running and as soon as I disabled it, my computer's been running fine.

As for the tiles, I could have sworn I read somewhere that you could get rid of them from the start menu.

I attempted to move my 5-year old ASUS laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

After only getting the "blue screen of death" eight times and legitimately being afraid that I bricked my laptop on a couple of occasions, I went on my iPad and found the steps for going back to Windows 7.

Don't think I'm going to worry too much until I get a new laptop, which is probably on the horizon here shortly.

Found out why Chrome was heating up my laptop: rogue extension. I had a Norton extension running and as soon as I disabled it, my computer's been running fine.

As for the tiles, I could have sworn I read somewhere that you could get rid of them from the start menu.

If that's the case, I may look into it.