DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

Congrats to the USWNT. Those were some great first 15+1 minutes and Japan never really recovered from that. Title is deserved aswell. Yeah, they had some close results, but ultimately, USA survived the strongest group in the tournament handily and never seemed to slip out of control in any of their games. Big thumbs up for the USA.

• Like 2

And Hope Solo got to punch someone and get away with it. This HAS been a good game for them.

She got suspended for friendlies the last time, so she got away with it twice....

Americans jumped on Japan early, and the central defense for Japan was terrible. Congrats to the Americans*, they were the best team in the tournament.

(* except Abby Wombach, who is a dislikeable person, and Sydney Leroux, because she's Canadian).

So apparently Twitter was filled with Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima tweets throughout the match.

...I really hate twitter

FTFY

Congrats to our ladies, they are the baddest women in the world!  Carli Lloyd with the best women's goal ever, just amazing stuff from her and the rest of the team.  And I'll be sad I can't watch my girl Julie Johnston holding down the back line anymore, well for another few years anyway...

It wasn't even the best goal of the tournament. Sure, it took guts to attempt that shot, but the Japanese goalie getting caught out of position is the only reason that's a goal.

I had intended to comment more frequently during this tournament but was always very busy at times. My cable was out all weekend so I did not get to see the final at all but I think in the knock out stages the USA definitely seemed to be the team on course to lift the cup so it appears things worked out as they should in the end. On Spain, it was important for Spain to make the tournament so them being there was a big step for them. It would have been nice if they had at least made the Round of 16 but they had the same problems in every one of their matches in the group stages: Create lots of chances but finish almost none of them. I think the next time around, possibly under a new manager, they will at least make the knock out stages and continue to grow from there in the future. I was kind of surprised that Germany, who looked so great in the group stages, struggled so much in the knock-out rounds. The PK Shootout between France & Germany was very high drama and it was a great save by Angerer to get Germany through to the semi-finals. England were a great surprise this tournament and the gutting way they ended up losing in the semi-finals was tough to see. I didn't get to see the 3rd place match because my cable was out all weekend (it actually is still out as I type this) so I can't say anything on the 3rd place match between England & Germany. All in all, this was a really fun tournament and I wish I could have participated more in conversations here about it but life is life, what can one do? (Manage time better, I know) Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS to the USA! 

• Like 1

It wasn't even the best goal of the tournament. Sure, it took guts to attempt that shot, but the Japanese goalie getting caught out of position is the only reason that's a goal.

You're probably right because I didn't watch the whole tournament.  What were the best couple goals?

Well....it was the best goal, by an american, in the final!

I thought the best American goal yesterday was the first one. Totally suckered in Japan with that corner kick, executed to perfection. I also really liked the header for goal #3.

I'll have to go back and look for the goal, but someone unleashed a wicked free kick earlier in the tournament. I want to say France, but I could be wrong.

Is Wombach that bad? I don't get all the hostility towards her when Hope Solo is on the same team. Wombach was right to complain about the artificial turf. Some of the complaining and conspiracy stuff she threw out there during the tournament was a bit annoying but it doesn't hold a candle to Solo's laundry list.

Is Wombach that bad? I don't get all the hostility towards her when Hope Solo is on the same team. Wombach was right to complain about the artificial turf. Some of the complaining and conspiracy stuff she threw out there during the tournament was a bit annoying but it doesn't hold a candle to Solo's laundry list.

I think Wombach would have been fine if she had kept her mouth shut during the tournament since the story was always going to be how the team was trying to win for her. but then people started talking about other players more then her and it felt like she started trying to say the most outlandish thing so she would still be talked about

She was the personification of "The Ugly American" when she was here.

I do give credit to the American coach for not sticking with the underperforming vets for the entire tournament. Canada might have made the semis of they put some of their more useless veterans on the bench during the tournament.

Pretty much. They are defined by their relationships to men. Can you imagine the role reversal if the men's English squad were tweeted something about going back to being fathers, partners (I'm only partially surprised they didn't say wags), and dads? Between that and the English coming on their girls, not a great tournament from a PR standpoint.

It linked to a story which was later amended to only say that England "returned home as heroes." The FA said the story was attempting to reflect the personal stories of players.

"Sorry if I caused offence," FA content editor James Callow tweeted. "The piece is intended to sum up a nice moment when players are reunited with their families.

"I reject any accusation of sexism and human interest is a big part of any sport reporting. I'd have done the same for England men, absolutely."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/english-fa-apology-tweet-womens-world-cup-team-32258105

An FA spokesperson said: “The full story was a wider homecoming feature attempting to reflect the many personal stories within the playing squad as has been told throughout the course of the tournament.

"However, we understand that an element of the story appears to have been taken out of context and the opening paragraph was subsequently revised to reflect that fact.”

I love you Oyaji & BLR but that's a lot of pronoun handwringing BS you are parroting.  When did it become offensive to be a mother's daughter or a daughter's mother?  The story was about players reuniting with their families as they got off the plane, y'know their mothers, daughters etc.  If that offends you, there's something wrong with your perception of things, not the FA for praising their heroes.  But you can't say anything on twitter without offending half the world apparently.  I blame the hordes of people looking for something to get offended by on Twitter, it's like some sort of bad experiment in misinterpreting every sentence ever written.

Every format has their flaws. Twitter has some overreactors. Message boards in general are the absolute pit of groupthink and preaching to the choir. Why do people need to point that out repeatedly to make themselves feel better about not participating in one or the other? Shit is so boring.